Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High Traffic Wordpress site on a shared hosting
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

High Traffic Wordpress site on a shared hosting

mandarkmandark Member

Hi,

I am willing to migrate to a high traffic Wordpress site having 80K monthly unique visitors. The peak sometimes reaches to 80-100 concurrents requests. The pages have roughly 60 requests and generally having a payload of 3MB - 6MB.

With a properly configured Wordpress caching plugin i.e. W3 Total Cache, which provider do you suggest to be able to support my site with a reasonable response time and a great uptime?

Regards,
Mandark

Comments

• AlyssaDAlyssaD Member
    edited July 2018

Dexter's Laboratory Hosting Ltd.

• vovlervovler Member

Go for a VPS w/ Nginx. I would suggest a VPS from Ramnode or VMHaus and throwing Centminmod on top of them.

• ArisCArisC Member

Get a plan from UpCloud and setup Centminmod

Thanked by 1eva2000
  • ricardoricardo Member
    edited July 2018

Your easiest way to differentiate is whether you need "managed" or "unmanaged" hosting, because if you're not technically inclined there's only one option and "buy X and install blah blah" won't be a good idea for you.

• I'd also say put the WP installation in front of a CDN service like Cloudflare to get some form of caching done on their end.

• AlyssaDAlyssaD Member
    edited July 2018

Sad, no one has gotten my reference.

Edit: Yay! Someone below got it.

• imokimok Member

I can recommend CrocWeb. I was running a news website with up to 800 concurrent visitors. You need a good caching solution, though. I was using W3 Total Cache (you have to tweak the advanced settings).

Another option is looking for a hosting company running LiteSpeed Cache which is really good. Maybe Ramnode.

And Cloudflare or BunnyCDN @BunnySpeed in front.

• @AlyssaD said:

You beat me to the comment. :D

• @AlyssaD said:

@vimalware said:

@AlyssaD said:

You beat me to the comment. :D

Hahah

Blue Falcon: Dyno-mutt has been dealt a devastating blow.
    Dexter: Sheesh, no kidding.
    Blue Falcon: I'm extremely wealthy.
    Dexter: Quickly, to the laboratory!

• @mandark
    I am curious, what you use now? Shared hosting? Your shared host has litespeed or not? Did you notice any problems currently?

I ask because I have some WP sites on shared hosts. Not that active though, yet.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

"80K monthly unique visitors" -> is not that heavy

but "80K monthly unique visitors with 80-100 concurrents requests", your visitors must be spending a lot of time in your site. Maybe not leaving for at least an hour and consuming a lot of your content.

• @mandark said:

But again, it's only if you don't know how to install nginx + php7.2-fpm + mariadb
    If you know how, even 256mb RAM box can solve your problem. (but if you're caching mostly everything, and nginx deliver static content, not dynamic one).

• First and foremost is to define what region to setup your server, you would want to be closest to your majority of visitors.

Then define if you want managed/semi/unmanaged VPS

Subsequently look for a good provider in that region

• Let me throw in my shared host. They have Litespeed too, can host 5 domains, $9.99/year. WP and non-WP shared is actually the same. No problems so far:

https://www.hostrush.com

• I would recommend to have a CDN as well with a web host. All the static content wont eat your bandwidth with your hosting provider.

• Use a VPS with runcloud to automate managment of the server and installing wordpress on one click before migration. Aff link in signature.

• qtwrkqtwrk Member

I'd suggest find a shared hosting with LiteSpeed, or use cyberpanel/openlitespeed , both cases can use LiteSpeed Cache

• According to your need/specification, we suggest you go for VPS hosting because you will get root access with dedicated IP in it. As shared-hosting have limited access, and sometimes it has shared IP.

• @hostechsupport said:
    According to your need/specification, we suggest you go for VPS hosting because you will get root access with dedicated IP in it. As shared-hosting have limited access, and sometimes it has shared IP.

The dedicated IP argument is a bit weak ;-)

dedicated IP + CDN = shared IP

• ZerpyZerpy Member

80k unique visitors and 100 concurrent users (assuming this is based on Google Analytics, it's over a 3 minute span), so isn't exactly much.

Any decent shared hosting provider can deliver this, also 10x that traffic without a problem.

If people say that a shared host can't handle it, then they must have used some sub-$5/year hosting plans.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@hostechsupport said:
    According to your need/specification, we suggest you go for VPS hosting because you will get root access with dedicated IP in it. As shared-hosting have limited access, and sometimes it has shared IP.

Dedicated IP does nothing in this case, most pointless comment ever!

VPS normally have more server resources like CPU, RAM and HDD (real size not fake unlimited crap) unless provider is oversold their node and don’t care about customers.

Thanked by 1Silvest
  • hostechsupport said: According to your need/specification, we suggest you go for VPS hosting because you will get root access with dedicated IP in it. As shared-hosting have limited access, and sometimes it has shared IP.

Seriously, dude? IP has nothing to do in this case.

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited July 2018

mandark said: The pages have roughly 60 requests and generally having a payload of 3MB - 6MB

There's your problem pages sized between 3MB to 6MB is huge ! You'd want to reduce per page size below 1-1.5MB where possible. Hate to be a mobile 3G user trying to load your pages !

@ArisC said:
    Get a plan from UpCloud and setup Centminmod

Actually just tested that configuration for Wordpress page speed testing between Centmin Mod Wordpress + Cache Enabler/Autoptimize/Clearfy versus CyberPanel OpenLitespeed

run 1 is uncached, run 2 is cached and run 3 is cached - runs are ~2-3 mins apart

• oops! my bad... my intention behind mentioning about the Dedicated IP was just to count the benefits of a Dedicated VPS...simply just like others were suggesting Apache+nginx. VPS should work well to handle high traffic on WordPress.
    Also, as suggested by EVA2000, you can analyze your website, using other websites like GTMetrix & developer platform of Google and get this optimized accordingly :)