Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to configure OpenVZ to use remote NFS as storage for VMs?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to configure OpenVZ to use remote NFS as storage for VMs?

Good morning,

Today, my question is how to configure OpenVZ to use remote NFS as storage for containers? I'm running an OpenVZ node with only 10GB and I've mounted NFS to /vz/root. The problem is the server seems to use its local storage instead of the remote drive so / is full and VM get errors when writing files into the disk. Maybe it is a caching method but I don't know how it works. Any suggestion?

Comments

• AlyssaDAlyssaD Member
    edited July 2018

o.O

Your signature includes a hosting company, is that yours?

You should just be able to mount the NFS store to the location where you are storing the VMs.

Proxmox has its storage in /var/lib/vz/

Regular OpenVZ looks to use /vz/private/

source:
    https://www.unixmen.com/how-to-create-openvz-container-in-openvz/

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

If this is for personal use go for it but I would really suggest not doing OVZ on NFS for clients.

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

@AlyssaD quite likely it is his hosting company, see more here: @Hostibox
    Not sure if the same profile pic is just a coincidence.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@FAT32 said:

There's another clue on their network status page:
    https://status.hostibox.com/incident/21

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • lemonlemon Member
    edited July 2018

@FAT32 said:

As a customer of hostibox I can tell you: yes, that's him. And he's probably trying to put customers disks on nfs...
    Just google for the CEO of hostibox: Aina Manoa RATEFIARISON

And yes, the servers are very unstable, everything there is very unprofessional. (Like their NAT Panel had php security issues, where the attacker changed their paypal adress (lol))

Also the whole site is buggy, announcements in the client area is 404, so i guess they have no announcements to make?

It's cheap tho, and the bandwith is unlimited.

• Very scary.... cringes

edited July 2018

@lemon said:
    CEO of hostibox: Aina Manoa RATEFIARISON

He is from Madagascar and running Hostibox for 3 years, not sure why the footer says 1998-2018. But at least the WHMCS is licensed.

His website: https://manoaratefy.hostibox.com/

• lemonlemon Member

@FAT32 said:

@lemon said:
    CEO of hostibox: Aina Manoa RATEFIARISON

not sure why the footer says 1998-2018. But at least the WHMCS is licensed.

Our brand has been launched in 2015 by the non-profit organization A.TE.L. which is founded in 1998.
    https://forum.lowendspirit.com/viewtopic.php?id=3644

Thanked by 1FAT32

Although I have not used their product before, but I feel amazed when he is offering from Madagascar, I don't recall any other providers here that are from Madagascar. Keep up the good work! If at any time the NAT VPS is more stable in the future I might get one.

• Hello,

Let me give some precisions (off-topic but seems to be relevant for some peoples). Yes, I am the CEO of Hostibox International Group Ltd.

@FAT32 said:

No, there was an old Hostibox (apparently owned by Spanish speaking people). We don't have any relation with these guys. We just had an opportunity to register the domain name for us, but we didn't have the opportunity to manage all old profile that old owners has created.

@lemon said:
    And yes, the servers are very unstable, everything there is very unprofessional. (Like their NAT Panel had php security issues, where the attacker changed their paypal adress (lol))

It is hard to handle all the mess, especially when your team numbers decrease. However, we ensure you that we are taking every downtime very seriously.

@lemon said:
    Also the whole site is buggy, announcements in the client area is 404, so i guess they have no announcements to make?

Maybe, maybe not. :p The reality is that I don't care about our website at this time: the important is to keep a good & reliable service. Let's care about these "minor" issues in second time.

Whatever it is, this topic was not made for talking about the company. I will be happy to answer all your questions but let's stay in the topic.

Thanks for peoples giving me advice. The performance result comparison will be relevant. You said that NFS + OpenVZ is not good. Why? And how about KVM + NFS, Xen + NFS, ... ? I'm writing a book about virtualization technologies so I wish to have the maximum informations.

• If you don't know why it is bad, nor why it is good. Why are you using it on production equipment.

As of the moment, you are making me cringe endlessly on this. I have never run a VPS business, and I know and can figure out more things than you. That isn't a good trait as the CEO of a VPS company.

Thanked by 2vimalware maverickp
  • The problem is the server seems to use its local storage instead of the remote drive so / is full and VM get errors when writing files into the disk. Maybe it is a caching method but I don't know how it works. Any suggestion?

I'm writing a book about virtualization technologies so I wish to have the maximum informations.

oh lordy.

Thanked by 1imok
  • manoaratefymanoaratefy Member
    edited July 2018

@AlyssaD said:
    If you don't know why it is bad, nor why it is good. Why are you using it on production equipment.

Because I wanna explore all possibilities.

As of the moment, you are making me cringe endlessly on this. I have never run a VPS business, and I know and can figure out more things than you. That isn't a good trait as the CEO of a VPS company.

>

I agree. I don't have enough experience. I'm a student. But when the experienced guys are gone, I had to do their jobs. At least I try to do things instead of giving helpless glances to customers who need help and support. This while waiting for the problem of lack of human resources to be solved.

• manoaratefy said: Because I wanna explore all possibilities.

On production clients? Are you an idiot? What happens if the data goes poof. Do you have backups for all this tinkering?

manoaratefy said: I agree. I don't have enough experience. I'm a student. But when the experienced guys are gone, I had to do their jobs. At least I try to do things instead of giving helpless glances to customers who need help and support. This while waiting for the problem of lack of human resources to be solved.

Than I suggest you go back to being a student, and learn. You can learn by doing experiments, of course. However, don't do it on production servers with clients data.

• manoaratefy said: I'm writing a book about virtualization technologies so I wish to have the maximum informations.

Good God!

• The end ia nigh. . .

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited July 2018

@reikuzan said:
    The end ia nigh. . .

= “The end is nigh...”

• vmp32kvmp32k Member

manoaratefy said: I don't have enough experience. I'm a student. But when the experienced guys are gone, I had to do their jobs. At least I try to do things instead of giving helpless glances to customers who need help and support. This while waiting for the problem of lack of human resources to be solved.

Kudos for admitting you lack the skills and are trying to learn and step up, however like many others have pointed out it's not a good idea to learn with a production system and customer data. As the CEO you should really focus on hiring someone to get the current issues under control and then maybe look to scaling up or doing fundamental changes to your stack.

I don't have any experience in a professional setting with this but personally I don't think nfsroots are that bad of an idea... i mean iSCSI is a thing. Just make sure you have a really beefy system with lots of memory and SSD/NVMe caching and more than a few gbit NIC(s) to keep the iops managable. NFS can be tuned a little bit by disabling support for remote-locking since only one VPS will ever be using any single mountpoint (export). This might be something you could run as a beta product and invite people for cheap while being completely up-front about the instability and expected lower performance.
    Just my 2 cents.

• Necrobump, but I believe Hostibox is dead and this will bring a close to this wild thread.

Have a NAT VPS with them, and it's down for a day and a half. The network status on their WHMCS confirms my worries:

Shit's on fire, yo

What's more, my order for another NAT box placed on July 25 is still pending to this date:

0% uptime. Not a joke.

@manoaratefy said:
    However, we ensure you that we are taking every downtime very seriously.

No status updates. No response to tickets. Nothing.

I don't have anything important running on them, nor do I expect to get my $8 back. I should have known better judging from the CEO's posts on LET.

But on the flip side, there's a lesson to be learned, so not a total waste of money after all :P And I get to see 0% uptime the first time in my life! A wonderful experience, obviously.

Adios, Hostibox. Another one-man operation just bit the bust.

• @lowendboi said:

where are you in the deep web to find his nat package?

• @needavps said: where are you in the deep web to find his nat package?

They posted an offer on the LowEndSpirit forum back in May.

• @lowendboi said:
    Necrobump, but I believe Hostibox is dead and this will bring a close to this wild thread.

my vps is up & running, but solusvm is down.

• @lemon said: my vps is up & running, but solusvm is down.

Hmm, ZeroTier tells me it's down for two days, so it looks like something happened to the node (Singapore) and my box wasn't restarted properly. It came after them right out ignoring my order for a whole week, which has left a bad taste in my mouth.

Keeping the service running and responding to inquiries probably isn't high on this guy's priorities.

• mine is a us box, not singapore ¯_(ツ)_/¯

• The @manoaratefy profile picture (or @Hostibox) reminds me of an old video...

• lemonlemon Member
    edited August 2018

Now the hostibox website + us nat vps's are down ¯_(ツ)_/¯

at least he's chillin

Thanked by 3ma2t lowendboi v3ng
  • lemonlemon Member
    edited August 2018
  • Under maintenance?

"We might be dying, but you can still give us money!"

• It's not dead.. Well.. sorta. Supposedly it's back? lol

You can still try to order services on the website it looks like. Highly recommend avoiding though with past issues in mind. Just got this email:

Good morning,

You are receiving this email because you have a NAT VPS server with us.

You might noticed that Hostibox.com got a big issue this month and last month. Due to legal issues, our providers locked all our network and all our data, backups, production and development infrastructure. We just got restored access to our billing and support portal and some of our emails. We are restoring services.

To make thing better, Hostibox.com decided to stop providing NAT VPS servers as there is too much TOS violations and illegal practices. However, our new sister brand, TinyVPS is happy to receive NAT VPS ordered from Hostibox.com. All NAT VPS owners in Hostibox.com will get account in TinyVPS and account credit according to this rules:

$5.00 per 128MB RAM VM
    $10.00 per 256MB RAM VM
    $20.00 per 512MB RAM VM
    $40.00 per 1024MB RAM VM

We apologize for the inconvenience and hope your adventure will be better with TinyVPS.

Note: we inform also that these services will also moved away from Hostibox.com:

Website designing: will be received by Startup Website brand
    Server management: will be received by Instant SysAdmin brand

Best regards,
    Customer Care Department
    Hostibox International Group Ltd

• Hahahaha. U guys are all so funny.

Tough. But loving attitude and share information.

respect