Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Upload speed problems with the new ISP (affects only Win10 1607 and newer) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Upload speed problems with the new ISP (affects only Win10 1607 and newer)

2»

Comments

• mkshmksh Member
    edited July 2018

@DrDirector said:

@pike said:
    Holy fuck you pay less than 20€ for unlimited LTE...
    For the same contract they ask 80€ in germany, fucking criminals they are.

80€ would be 1/5 of the minimum monthly payment... So I guess that's why it has to be cheaper, so the people can actually afford it.

Not really. There are enough similar low wage jobs in germany. It's really just that mobile data is stupidly expensive there. The simple fact that there is an actual real flat rate no matter the price is already amazing. My bet is on lack of competition between german operators. Funny enough the one that started the cheap flat deals where i am right now (btw not exactly a poor country) which the other operators had to follow doesn't do business in germany. If noone starts radically dropping prices why would the established providers kill the cash cow? As far as prepaid goes 15€ buy you 5GB in germany... Might come a bit cheaper with a contract but still the profits are massive.

Thanked by 1DrDirector
  • DrDirectorDrDirector Member
    edited July 2018

Okay... So here are my final tests results:

• After I installed Ubuntu Server 18.04 on my old VPS from netcup - all the uploading speed problems on Windows 10 1607+ are gone...

Seems like Ubuntu Server 16.04 and Debian 9 are affected by this problem.
    Tomorrow I'm going to update my other VPS and see if it helps.

Pretty strange, but explains why using VPNs didn't have any effects.

EDIT:

Another VPS (nazwa.pl) updated to Ubuntu Server 18.04 and the upload speed problem is gone!

• mkshmksh Member

@DrDirector said:
    Okay... So here are my final tests results:

• After I installed Ubuntu Server 18.04 on my old VPS from netcup - all the uploading speed problems on Windows 10 1607+ are gone...

Seems like Ubuntu Server 16.04 and Debian 9 are affected by this problem.
    Tomorrow I'm going to update my other VPS and see if it helps.

Pretty strange, but explains why using VPNs didn't have any effects.

EDIT:

Another VPS (nazwa.pl) updated to Ubuntu Server 18.04 and the upload speed problem is gone!

Interesting. So something doesn't play nice between Windows and some of the network settings on those Systems. Might be a bit like digging for a needle in a haystack but maybe you could compare network related settings from sysctl -a from a non affected to an affected version.

• @mksh said:
    Interesting. So something doesn't play nice between Windows and some of the network settings on those Systems. Might be a bit like digging for a needle in a haystack but maybe you could compare network related settings from sysctl -a from a non affected to an affected version.

I generated differences report with WinMerge: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuPZR_2KXo0N0VWbLf2iTAOtKA_-
    Not too many differences. Do you have any thought what to change as first?

• mkshmksh Member
    edited July 2018

@DrDirector said:

@mksh said:

I generated differences report with WinMerge: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuPZR_2KXo0N0VWbLf2iTAOtKA_-
    Not too many differences. Do you have any thought what to change as first?

Could you put that as text on pastebin? Downloading a html doesn't seem like such a good idea.

edited July 2018

@mksh said:
    Could you put that as text on pastebin? Downloading a html doesn't seem like such a good idea.

Hmm, maybe here (used htmlpasta.com): https://93389a29-ce5f-45f3-99c5-eeee0036c07b.htmlpasta.com/
    It has to be HTML to show differences in a nice form.

• mkshmksh Member

@DrDirector said:

@mksh said:

Hmm, maybe here (used htmlpasta.com): https://93389a29-ce5f-45f3-99c5-eeee0036c07b.htmlpasta.com/
    It has to be HTML to show differences in a nice form.

Yeah, that works. Hmm hard to say. A good amount is most likely unrelated due to dealing with link level settings. Beyond that most tell me as little as the next person but what sticks out the most imo is tcp_fack as it seems to need code on the client system to properly function. Another one is tcp_notsent_lowat. Not really sure what this one does but it's related to buffers so it might play a role.

• @mksh said:
    Yeah, that works. Hmm hard to say. A good amount is most likely unrelated due to dealing with link level settings. Beyond that most tell me as little as the next person but what sticks out the most imo is tcp_fack as it seems to need code on the client system to properly function. Another one is tcp_notsent_lowat. Not really sure what this one does but it's related to buffers so it might play a role.

Yeah, I set everything like it's on 18.04:

net.ipv4.tcp_allowed_congestion_control = reno cubic net.ipv4.tcp_available_congestion_control = reno cubic net.ipv4.neigh.default.unres_qlen = 101 net.ipv4.neigh.default.unres_qlen_bytes = 212992 net.ipv4.neigh.ens3.unres_qlen = 101 net.ipv4.neigh.ens3.unres_qlen_bytes = 212992 net.ipv4.neigh.lo.unres_qlen = 101 net.ipv4.neigh.lo.unres_qlen_bytes = 212992 net.ipv4.tcp_notsent_lowat = 4294967295 net.ipv4.tcp_fack = 0 net.ipv4.tcp_mem = 69639 92852 139278 net.ipv4.tcp_notsent_lowat = 4294967295 net.ipv4.xfrm4_gc_thresh = 32768 net.ipv4.conf.all.promote_secondaries = 1

Unfortunately still as bad as before. I also tried changing the default congestion control. Maybe some other system settings matter. Anyway, thankfully all VPS I own have Ubuntu 18.04 available, so nothing to worry about anymore :)

• mkshmksh Member

@DrDirector said:
    Unfortunately still as bad as before. I also tried changing the default congestion control. Maybe some other system settings matter. Anyway, thankfully all VPS I own have Ubuntu 18.04 available, so nothing to worry about anymore :)

Yeah, wouldn't waste to much time on this either. Was worth a shot but in the end it might also be something in the kernel that isn't configurable at all.

edited July 2018

@mksh said:
    Yeah, wouldn't waste to much time on this either. Was worth a shot but in the end it might also be something in the kernel that isn't configurable at all.

I was trying to fix this problem for almost 2 months. Now, when the solution is finally known - I feel empty :( I guess I need to find some other problem to work on :)

• mkshmksh Member

@DrDirector said:

@mksh said:

I was trying to fix this problem for almost 2 months. Now, when the solution is finally know - I feel empty :( I guess I need to find some other problem to work on :)

Haha, i know this feeling very well. Time to get some new toys!