Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting a VPN company - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Starting a VPN company

2»

Comments

• CoreyCorey Member

@doughmanes said:
    What made you get into your over-saturated market?

Been in it for over 5 years now... hasn't always been this way.

• albertdbalbertdb Member
    edited June 2013

@doughmanes What kind of DDOS attacks are you talking about? Those "unleashed" by the customer itself after doing that the bad guys get angry, or other VPN competitors attacking?

• @albertdb said:
    doughmanes What kind of DDOS attacks are you talking about? Those "unleashed" by the customer itself after doing that the bad guys get angry, or other VPN competitors attacking?

Wouldn't know but if I was a kid and saw a free service, it screams ABUSE ME

One such provider did free VPN hosting in exchange for forced ads on the client.

• @lowendboxinchina said:
    I don't think so. Most Chinese only like free vpn.

If you say most Chinese are ONLY like free vpn, that's incorrect.

As far as I know, there're only few companies providing free+paid vpn service and their servers (especially free servers) often down or blocked by GFW.

If you are dedicated to offer paid vpn service under an affordable price, I think it will be ok for Chinese customers.

PS: Never mention some words like 'VPN' in your website, at least in your Chinese website.

• :-P

@johnlth93 said:
    wutz o.o

• what does it mean?

@xDragonZ said:
    $USD 1 or 1 $USD
    Hmm

• YagoYago Member

If I'm going into this business I will be a small time operator so I can't afford to hire good help. Though, I lack the technical computer skills, I was wondering what's the best way to acquire them.

• You can start with being a reseller of a VPN provider.

• TheOnlyDKTheOnlyDK Member
    edited July 2015

@Zen said:
    Holy necro

HOLY NECRO of 2013!

• Ole_JuulOle_Juul Member
    edited July 2015

There's a lot of legal issues in that business. I'd start by researching the relevant laws in my own country, or country of operation. Users will expect good protection, that's why many of them use such a service. If you're in Canada, like I am, you may want to locate the business elsewhere because of recent change in laws here.

I think there's room in this business for quality. I recently looked at a list on The Register, and more than half of the biggest companies had what I would call unacceptable privacy specs.

Edit: I just saw the date. What's the idea @Zen? Are you funny?

• I think people use VPN either to dial in somewhere or dial out of somewhere, both for security and connectivity reasons. If you want to do public VPN business, you probably want to help people to dial out somewhere anonymously. Or do you want to help business users to dial in their company network from remote?

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited July 2015

Ole_Juul said: Edit: I just saw the date. What's the idea @Zen? Are you funny?

He could be, but he was replying to a spammer who was the one who actually bumped the thread :)

That post has since been removed though.

• Traffic said: He could be, but he was replying to a spammer who was the one who actually bumped the thread :)

Thanks @Traffic, but all comments above him are from 2013 so there is something (as usual) which I don't understand. How does one bump a thread without posting?

PS: apologies to @Zen :)

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited July 2015

Ole_Juul said: Thanks @Traffic, but all comments above him are from 2013 so there is something (as usual) which I don't understand. How does one bump a thread without posting?

A spammer posted, @Zen replied to the spammer, the 1st post was removed (obviously - it was spam) so now @Zen looks as the one who bumped the thread :)

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • You must prove that your VPS is completely anonymous.

• I will give you two tips:
    Don't store logs, users hate that.

Get your site listed on VPN comparison sites

• BigBBigB Member

Use Wireguard that way you have more performance and a real benefit to other services.
    Openvpn sucks.

• pikepike Veteran

This Thread is from 2013! Got necroed twice now...

Thanked by 1tjn
This discussion has been closed.