Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IP geolocation question
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IP geolocation question

Hey guys
Lets say i rent /24 and annouce it in France datacenter as Germany IPs. Since DC is located in France its going to affect IPs gelolocation in negative way?

Thanks

Comments

• LyphiardLyphiard Member, Host Rep

You can usually update the IP's location through things such as WHOIS and MaxMind (https://support.maxmind.com/geoip-data-correction-request/). Although I would say that it usually takes several weeks for this to propagate.

• @Lyphiard said:
    You can usually update the IP's location through things such as WHOIS and MaxMind (https://support.maxmind.com/geoip-data-correction-request/). Although I would say that it usually takes several weeks for this to propagate.

Or forever. Even if maxmind eventually processes your request, not everyone is regularly updating their geoip database, so ...

• LyphiardLyphiard Member, Host Rep

@allnetstore said:

@Lyphiard said:

Or forever. Even if maxmind eventually processes your request, not everyone is regularly updating their geoip database, so ...

Most services should update within a few months ... if not a year or two from my experience. MaxMind usually processes requests pretty quickly, I usually see updates go live within a week or two max.

• freerangecloudfreerangecloud Member, Patron Provider

I've had reasonable success fixing Geolocation by updating whois, IRR, and manually submitting requests to some of the major geolocation providers

• @seomajster said:
    Hey guys
    Lets say i rent /24 and annouce it in France datacenter as Germany IPs. Since DC is located in France its going to affect IPs gelolocation in negative way?

Thanks

IP addresses have no built-in association with a corresponding physical location, and the resources that they are associated with can change over time. Not only can an IP address move between different physical or virtual devices, but it can also move between geographies. The answer to your question is no, it won't affect it. But someone requesting your IP Geolocation may get mistaken of your location.

• qbeststarqbeststar Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2018

@seomajster said:
    Hey guys

Thanks

Hi,

You can change your GEO in RIPE if you have access or send request to company where you rent this /24 , they must upgrade information.

After some month , MaxMind and other same services will update DB information