Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many backups do you have?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How many backups do you have?

edited June 2018 in General

I hear a saying that is :
if you only have one backup, then you have no backup!

I recently get data lost from the infamous delimiter. When I restore back from backup server, I get data loss. The rsnapshot of daily.0 is incomplete. Which reminds me of if you only have one backup, then you have no backup!

So now I also take a backup to both backup server and home NAS.

How much backups do LET user take? 1, 2 , 3? And how and where?

Backup poll
  1. How much backup do you have?94 votes
    1. 1
      24.47%
    2. 2
      26.60%
    3. 3
      18.09%
    4. more
      30.85%
  2. Where do you backup to?94 votes
    1. Backup server
      50.00%
    2. Cloud
      32.98%
    3. Home/office PC/NAS
      13.83%
    4. other
        3.19%
  3. How do you backup?94 votes
    1. rsync
      36.17%
    2. rsnapshot
        2.13%
    3. tar
      12.77%
    4. other
      48.94%

Comments

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member
    edited June 2018

@hostingtalking said:
    I hear a saying that is :
    if you only have one backup, then you have no backup!

I recently get data lost from the infamous delimiter. When I restore back from backup server, I get data loss. The rsnapshot of daily.0 is incomplete. Which reminds me of if you only have one backup, then you have no backup!

So now I also take a backup to both backup server and home NAS.

How much backups do LET user take? 1, 2 , 3? And how and where?

Depends on the data. If it is extremely critical, I have 1x copy on-site and at-least 2x to 3x copies off-site. Apart from that, I manually verify backed-up files at-least once a week and archive them on 2x separate google drives.

For less critical data, I usually keep 1x copy on site, 1x copy off site and still manually verify and archive full copies to 2x separate google drives at-least once a month.

I also keep encrypted copies of extremely important stuff scattered across a few idling low end boxes.

• dragon2611dragon2611 Member
    edited June 2018

Depends on the data, where it's hosted and how much I care about it.

Ranges from 0 backups, to backed up in multiple locations with various versions stored.

• @huntercop said:

Or it's just crap that can be re-downloaded, 0 point backing up the KF2 server for instance.

• ahnlakahnlak Member

It's a tricky poll to answer, because I have backups going to a backup server, and cloud, and (manually) onto an office PC (which also then gets backed up into Backblaze). So I guess I need to tick them all? :)

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • @ahnlak said:
    It's a tricky poll to answer, because I have backups going to a backup server, and cloud, and (manually) onto an office PC (which also then gets backed up into Backblaze). So I guess I need to tick them all? :)

Same here!

• The unlimited backup of backblaze seems too good to be ture for $5 per month. For laptop it's OK, but PC? 10TBs? I'd rather buy another set of HDDs

@ahnlak said:

• We take 2 backups daily of our hosting environment and 1 screenshot of our Virtual servers.

• @PowerNode said:
    We take 2 backups daily of our hosting environment and 1 screenshot of our Virtual servers.

Screenshot, best backup method eu west.

Thanked by 1imok
  • deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited June 2018

Personal data: 3 copies. One on a backup HDD on the same rig. Another on external HDD. Final one on Google drive.

Server data: 1 copy on a backup server.

• I have no backup

• I have only 1 backup.

And I only do it occasionally (after I make some important changes).

• lazytlazyt Member

Backups on three different servers. Databases corrupt on all three when the Delimiter server crashed.

• qtwrkqtwrk Member

@lazyt said:
    Backups on three different servers. Databases corrupt on all three when the Delimiter server crashed.

How come?

• Adam1Adam1 Member

none, i've been looking at how best (cheaply) I can do it. been lucky so far.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

lazyt said: Backups on three different servers. Databases corrupt on all three when the Delimiter server crashed.

You had replication, not backups.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

hostingtalking said: The unlimited backup of backblaze seems too good to be ture for $5 per month. For laptop it's OK, but PC? 10TBs? I'd rather buy another set of HDDs

...but that is not the same. If your house burns down, you'll get your BackBlaze data back but not your HDDs.

BackBlaze is genuinely "unlimited" but consider:

• only backs up PC/Mac and will not backup Linux
    • you can't cheat and mount drives - it won't back them up
    • you're limited by your upstream bandwidth. 10TB is going to take a long time to upload for most residential users.
    • you're limited to one PC (though they have family plans but of course they cost more)

It's sort of like CrashPlan's unlimited but with strictures that are more business-friendly for them.

Not supporting Linux really sucks.

• Backups? Whats that?

• JorgeJorge Member

7 daily backups, 4 weekly backups, 3 monthly backups, and 7 yearly backups.
    of everything

• khazaakhazaa Member

Of customer data i keep backups on 2 different servers with 2 different providers + in the cloud. All my personal data is backed up to one server.

• lazytlazyt Member

The cpanel full sites are bad as well. Those are from three days before the crash.

• There should be a poll option - "zero".

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

It’s all fine and well having your backup on 2-3 locations... but if you are not verifying the integrity and doing disaster restore tests then you may as well have 0 backups ...

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

42 obviously

• lazytlazyt Member

Yep I got lazy this past year and it bit me.

• When it comes to backup, we usually subscribe to a backup service and leave things unattended. It's not an efficient way to handle backups. I do appreciate all backup service providers, but for a trouble-free life, we should save some backups ourselves on a local hard drive or a cloud service. Also, it's better to take backups or at least save important files before a major update to get things under control. If your data is large, it's not practical to save them to a local drive or cloud as it is a time-consuming process. So it's better to save very important files periodically and take whole backups depending on your time and the size of your data along with a backup service plan.

• More back ups then servers and I have 666 of those.

• @WooServersHosting said:
    When it comes to backup, we usually subscribe to a backup service and leave things unattended. It's not an efficient way to handle backups. I do appreciate all backup service providers, but for a trouble-free life, we should save some backups ourselves on a local hard drive or a cloud service. Also, it's better to take backups or at least save important files before a major update to get things under control. If your data is large, it's not practical to save them to a local drive or cloud as it is a time-consuming process. So it's better to save very important files periodically and take whole backups depending on your time and the size of your data along with a backup service plan.

I totally agree. Even with backup providers, it's still a good security measure to make sure you have your own backup somewhere! That's a good point also about doing it before major updates. I made this mistake once years ago with my personal computers at home... Kept putting off backing up important data... data got too large, large update broke everything... hard drives almost simultaneously blew up. Bye bye data... Having a specific backup plan (specific days of the week/month) in conjunction with a backup provider, is the best way to be sure it doesn't get out of hand and result in data loss.

• Care@Membucket
  • BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2018

Personal - Backblaze

Websites DB & Files - Hetzner Storage Boxes & Hetzner server (will be discontinuing Hetzner server not the storage box, and will use Backblaze B2 cloud storage)

Storing backups on budget servers is not reliable (learned it the hard way)

• riotriot Member

Nightly full backups to two geographically separate storage VPS. Monthly archive copy to large shared account.

I'll echo the need to test your restores at least occasionally. I just did some and discovered I had missed a couple of things I wanted but thought I had.