Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Seedbox Script (uTorrent and FTP)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Seedbox Script (uTorrent and FTP)

Yesterday I felt like putting together a simple script to give back to the LEB community.

It all started when I decided to make a seedbox from an extra low end vps I had. After looking at countless seedbox tutorials, I came across a post using uTorrent that was super simple and that supported http downloads. After getting it running I realized how easy the install/configuration process was compared to deluge or rTorrent.

However it was missing one thing. While uTorrent came with a great way to download files right to your computer, the UI was unforgiving on mobile devices. I figured most smartphones these days had access to a FTP client, so I found a DO tutorial on setting up vsftpd and added an option to the script.

Here is the completed script.

Sorry for the rambling. I could use some help automating the FTP conf changes. Currently, the user must make the changes in nano.

Hope this is helpful!

Thanked by 1nadiar429

Comments

• twaintwain Member
    edited June 2013

@Zen beat me to it, but yeah you could do some sed search and replace on those relevant lines in /etc/vsftpd.conf etc

• I'll look into sed, thanks.

• utorrent is the worst linux client, rtorrent + rutorrent, deluge + thin client/webui or transmission + transmission thin client/webui are all better options

• Also, like others said, sed is the shit and is pretty easy to automate a bunch of changes in one line

• really? utorrent is the worst? I get the best speeds with it and it is easy to manage. Plus it comes with http downloads.

• It's also not on the whitelist for several large private trackers

• nunimnunim Member
    edited June 2013

My new favorite is qbittorrent, the headless mode is great for tiny vpses, I just use lighttpd for web access.

I loved the options that deluge had available with their webui but the resource usage is so much less with qbittorrent that I don't mind the missing options.

• i just use transmission + windows remote client for personal use

• dreamer2908dreamer2908 Member
    edited June 2013

I have tried a few torrent clients for Linux so far: uTorrent, Deluge, Transmission, rTorrent + rutorrent. These are my opinions about them:

— uTorrent gives significantly lower transferring speed than Deluge and Transmission—No, I don't keep the detail result, but it's like 50%. I don't know the reason, but maybe uTorrent runs slower in Linux, or other clients actually run faster. The new WebUI indeed has more features but it's ugly and I don't like it.

— Transmission is fast and uses little resources, but it starts transferring slowly, that is, it needs more time to connect to other peers and raises the speed to maximum than other clients. Well, unless you're in hurry, one or two minutes shouldn't matter. Transmission's default GUI is simple and the WebUI lacks features, but you can use better 3rd party GUI like Transmission Remote GUI—both locally and remotely—instead.

— Deluge has more features/options and prettier, feature-richer UIs than Transmission. You can also use a local client to connect to a remote session. It starts transferring quickly, unlike Transmission. One down side is that it uses more memory than Transmission—this might be a problem with a LEB.

— rTorrent + rutorrent is great: fast, light and feature-rich. It's based on a mature bittorrent library called libtorrent—Deluge and qbittorent is libtorrent-based FYI. It uses even less resources than Transmission. One down side is that it doesn't support WebSeed. Moreover, you need to compile it yourselves and the configuration is much more complex than with other clients. Fortunately, there's a script to automate the installation here http://sourceforge.net/projects/autodl-irssi/

Hope this useful (✿◠‿◠)

mfw I clicked edit and Firefox showed me the older text. (ノ `Д´)ノ ~┻━┻

• @texteditor said:
    It's also not on the whitelist for several large private trackers

I don't know of one private tracker that doesn't allow uTorrent. Not allowing uTorrent is like shooting yourself in the foot, would you want your tracker to be full of seedboxes by not allowing most legitimate users to download?

• nice script, tks! i usually use this tut when setting up seedbox: http://www.diyseedbox.com/

• Thanks for the comments. I might try to move to deluge since I liked the interface. However I really like http downloads with uTorrent.

I may try to create symlinks and open up my downloads with lighttpd, but I like when I can download and view my progress all from the same window.

Also, the init script for my current setup does not work. For example when I run /etc/init.d/utorrent start. It only tells me the usage, it does not run the start case. Why is this? I'd like to get uTorrent to start on startup.

• vanarpvanarp Member

Do we have names of LEB providers allowing torrents?

Thanked by 1Devil
  • texteditortexteditor Member
    edited June 2013

@Bogdacutuu said:
    I don't know of one private tracker that doesn't allow uTorrent. Not allowing uTorrent is like shooting yourself in the foot, would you want your tracker to be full of seedboxes by not allowing most legitimate users to download?

The Windows, Mac, and Linux clients all identify themselves differently to the trackers. The Linux one is not whitelisted on sites like What (or any gazelle-based tracker, since most mirror whitelists basically)

• I decided to change clients. While I found uTorrent to be nice looking (IMO), Deluge has a similar feature set plus with apache I can have deluge download torrents right to a public directory setup with a login popup.

The one thing that bugs me with Deluge, is that I would like to set a monthly max bandwidth (upload and download) limit.

• @marshallford said:
    I decided to change clients.

What do you think about the fact that almost none of the VPS providers or even dedicated server providers like OVH allow you to run a torrent client on your server?

Is there a workaround for this? Maybe hide traffic or encrypt it or sth else? What about bandwidth transfer spikes or the constant peak? How to explain it to them?

I asked DigitalOcean and they didn't give any clear answer.

Do you know any such affordable VPS that allows seedboxing?

• @Devil said:

i don't think you will get any answer for that at here
    you may look at my discussion and you will got the answer
    the answer why you will get nothing if ask about it

• Why use microtorrent when rtorrent or deluge are faster and lighter?

• rtorrent is the absolute ruler of all torrent clients

• 502 Bad Gateway
    Host Not Found or connection failed

can somebody help me?

• I find that

sudo apt-get install rtorrent

works great. That's really all you need (and ~30 seconds to put about three lines in .rtorrent.rc)

• @manacit said:
    I find that

sudo apt-get install rtorrent

works great. That's really all you need (and ~30 seconds to put about three lines in .rtorrent.rc)

can you message me list of LEB providers that allow torrent? thx..

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited January 2014

@dragz said:
    can you message me list of LEB providers that allow torrent? thx..

Just look for providers that do not mention Torrent/Filesharing in the ToS/Aup.

• Why does the script need to reboot the machine? Just make it start the stuff it installs.