Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

bgp configuration via bird on vultr's ubuntu 18.04 instance
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

bgp configuration via bird on vultr's ubuntu 18.04 instance

deepikadeepika Member
edited June 2018 in Help

As vultr support breaking /24 subnet down to /32 to be configured into individual instance, I am trying to configure bird on ubuntu 18.04.
Just wanted to mention, I am not good at networking and following configuration is compiled after reading several articles/tutorials :)

Instance IP: AAA.AAA.AAA.AAA
My Subnet: BBB.BBB.30.0/24
MY ASN: 123456
Trying to Configure: BBB.BBB.30.5/32

So far I have following configurations which seems to be working and need to make sure if this is correct or if there is better way to do it:

/etc/bird/bird.conf

router id AAA.AAA.AAA.AAA;

filter filterSubnet {
    if net = BBB.BBB.30.5/32 then accept;
    reject;
}

protocol bgp vultr
{
    local as 123456;
    source address AAA.AAA.AAA.AAA;
    import none;
    export filter filterSubnet;
    graceful restart on;
    multihop 2;
    neighbor 169.254.169.254 as 64515;
    password "password-removed";
}

protocol static
{
    route BBB.BBB.30.0/24 via AAA.AAA.AAA.AAA;
}

protocol direct
{
    interface "ens3";
}

protocol device {
    scan time 5;
}

/etc/netplan/10-ens3.yaml

network:
  version: 2
  renderer: networkd
  ethernets:
    ens3:
      dhcp4: yes
      addresses: [BBB.BBB.30.5/32]

Comments

• JackHJackH Member
    edited June 2018

deepika said: I am not good at networking

Might want to look at fixing that before breaking the internet in its entirety! Things like that happen from inexperience, lack of understanding and lack of rigour.

Thanked by 1RickBakkr
  • RickBakkrRickBakkr Member, Patron Provider, LIR

While I completely agree with Jack, on first sight, it looks like this config should suffice for announcing the /32. Vultr's routers should prevent this /32 announcement from being exported to their upstreams/ peers. As you are not exporting the full /24, Vultr cannot export that to their upstreams making your range as a whole unreachable via them (i.e. no-one would get routed to Vultr and as a result Vultr cannot pass the traffic on to you). You may wanna try to add the full /24 in your export filter.

As you state you are not good at networking, it may be worth to dive into DN42 and get some experience over there first. They use the exact same protocols as used in the 'real world' causing it to be an excellent playground for you to learn ;-)

• azbotazbot Member

I find this post. https://exenews.com/configuring-bgp-on-vultr/

Maybe help you