Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESET vs Kaspersky or what Antivirus Software do you use? - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ESET vs Kaspersky or what Antivirus Software do you use?

Comments

• Ympker said: just don't like to rely on windows defender as antivirus :S

it's pretty good antivirus in terms of resource consumption, malware and bad things detection. Of course I talk about only latest Windows Defender on Win10

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • I don't use an antivirus.

I don't have the will or resources.

Thanked by 2that_guy Falzo
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

@desperand said:

Ympker said: just don't like to rely on windows defender as antivirus :S

it's pretty good antivirus in terms of resource consumption, malware and bad things detection. Of course I talk about only latest Windows Defender on Win10

Thought about getting bitdefender free because its resource consumption is said to be very low and its detection rate way higher than windows defender. It also does not have any additional shit. Or I'll keep relying on malewarebytes Premium keeping any infections from the web from me and continue to use brain.exe xD

• Whats about McAfee or Sophos

• edfoxedfox Member

I have a lifetime license for "Common Sense" since 1998. Really good piece of antivirus software.

Thanked by 2jetchirag that_guy
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited June 2018

@edfox said:
    I have a lifetime license for "Common Sense" since 1998. Really good piece of antivirus software.

And I'm looking for a free antivirus solution (once Eset expires) on top of that with better detection rates than Windows defender^^ I've not been infected with Virus or Malware for years and I'd very much like to keep it like that. Common SenseTM has been playing a big part in this but so did eset and malwarebytes when I had to defy common sense to visit sites I wanted to.

• mkshmksh Member

@Ympker said:

@edfox said:

And I'm looking for a free antivirus solution (once Eset expires) on top of that with better detection rates than Windows defender^^ I've not been infected with Virus or Malware for years and I'd very much like to keep it like that. Common SenseTM has been playing a big part in this but so did eset and malwarebytes when I had to defy common sense to visit sites I wanted to.

Locking down your browser would probably be even better. If you get hit by some exploit chances are high you will be infected no matter what you are running. Any serious malware is regularly checked against the common AV tools and adjusted if it starts getting detected.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited June 2018

@mksh said:

@Ympker said:

@edfox said:

Locking down your browser would probably be even better. If you get hit by some exploit chances are high you will be infected no matter what you are running. Any serious malware is regularly checked against the common AV tools and adjusted if it starts getting detected.

I'm already browsing these kinda sites with Epic Browser (to block all sorta shit) and Malwarebytes Pro in a Win10 VM. There is avast sandbox mode too but I trust a vm more tbh

Thanked by 1vovler
  • mkshmksh Member

@Ympker said:

@mksh said:

@Ympker said:

@edfox said:

I'm already browsing these kinda sites with Epic Browser (to block all sorta shit) and Malwarebytes Pro in a Win10 VM. There is avast sandbox mode too but I trust a vm more tbh

Nice. I have to admit that seems pretty good. I'd just restore the VM from an image though instead of running AV on it. No idea about that Epic Browser. Probably not bad but when i see claims like only we do it while knowing that this isn't true (i block canvas myself and i've never heard of this browser before) i get a bit of a funny feeling.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • vovlervovler Member

@Ympker said:

And yet you fall for the nigerian price emails, but you could protect yourself if you used "RANDOMWORD"vpn.com, by clicking my affiliate link. What? VPNs don't protect you from scams or from executing a suspicious file, but... but ... VPNs do block viruses, that's what my favorite youtuber said.

Thanked by 2netomx that_guy
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited June 2018

@vovler said:

@Ympker said:

And yet you fall for the nigerian price emails, but you could protect yourself if you used "RANDOMWORD"vpn.com, by clicking my affiliate link. What? VPNs don't protect you from scams or from executing a suspicious file, but... but ... VPNs do block viruses, that's what my favorite youtuber said.

What are you implying? That I consider vpns to stop any harm from coming to my computer or the keep me 100% secure? Because I don't.
    The only reason I use Epic is because it supposedly blocks trackers and evidently blocks ads plus comes along with other security features. Whether they all work isn't too much an issue as I run it in a vm but it's most likely more secure by default than a regular chrome install^^

Thanked by 1vovler
  • vovlervovler Member
    edited June 2018

@Ympker said:

@vovler said:

@Ympker said:

What are you implying? That I consider vpns to stop any harm from coming to my computer or the keep me 100% secure? Because I don't.

No, I'm joking about the youtubers that advertise the VPNs saying that are able to stop hackers & viruses. It's hard to indicate sarcasm in a forum... sorry if you though I was implying something ;)

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • qba82qba82 Member, Patron Provider

Avast, BUT ONLY with minimal installation, otherwise You get load of crap.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • edfoxedfox Member

Jokes aside, i've found that installing µBlock and Privacy Badger on Nightly pretty much removes all sources of viruses online. My dad has been running Win 10 with that configuration for ages with no issues so far

• YKMYKM Member

F-secure here, keep coming back to it, Emsisoft EEK toolkit is good to have at hand.

• defaultdefault Veteran

@edfox said:
    Jokes aside, i've found that installing µBlock and Privacy Badger on Nightly pretty much removes all sources of viruses online. My dad has been running Win 10 with that configuration for ages with no issues so far

You have been running that for "ages"? Are you from the future or something because µBlock and Windows 10 are just 3 years old.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • southysouthy Member

Interesting discussion.

One more aspect:
    I am currently looking for a virus scanner to equip the service teams of a corporation in production industry.
    Those are guys that care about SCADA / ICS equipment. And every once in a while you want to scan a PC in the field for viruses.

Now what they would actually need is:

• bootable USB sticks
    • with 2 or 3 or 4 independent scanning engines (all scanners are crap, but if you use 2 or 3 parallel, you can reduce the crappiness from 50% to 40% - that's already an advantage)
    • that creates reasonable log files (for documentation).
    • and of course it should be legal to use, meaning: fully licensed.

Problem is:
    There is no such product.
    All the bootable download-versions of the usual scanner makers only contain their own scanners. So you will have to reboot 3x, use 3 differnet tools and combine all log files later for documentation... crap.

The only thing that I know that comes close, is the "disinfect" CD from c't, a german computer magazin. Problem is:

• GUI is german only
    • it's not easy to license: you have to purchase one paper copy of the magazin per user - and renew that each year.

I am looking for such a product in english, for about 200-1.000 users, using fully licensed scanning engines of different vendors under one GUI.

I believe the use case is actually not so unique: shouldn't basically all service technicians that care about ICS or even PC equipment ultimately need something like this?

Any ideas where I can get such a product?

• edfoxedfox Member

@default said:
    You have been running that for "ages"? Are you from the future or something because µBlock and Windows 10 are just 3 years old.

3 years is quite a lot of time, in computer years

• For a long time I used the AVAST antivirus, but recently, during the testing, I found out that it does not find the viruses that found the NOD32
    Now I turn to him, we'll see how he will prove himself.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited June 2018

@edfox said:

@default said:

3 years is quite a lot of time, in computer years

OK... So you are no longer an organic being, but you became something more: something different, something that supersedes neurons and their synapses. something that's using qubits and quantum superposition to calculate everything on a different scale and nature.

So... what is this time-computer-supermachine trying to say, in LET, with that parable regarding a dad?

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Why are you getting hooked by a comment?

• edfoxedfox Member

@default said:
    OK... So you are no longer an organic being, but you became something more: something different, something that supersedes neurons and their synapses. something that's using qubits and quantum superposition to calculate everything on a different scale and nature.

So... what is this time-computer-supermachine trying to say, in LET, with that parable regarding a dad?

What is wrong with you

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@southy said:
    Interesting discussion.

One more aspect:
    I am currently looking for a virus scanner to equip the service teams of a corporation in production industry.
    Those are guys that care about SCADA / ICS equipment. And every once in a while you want to scan a PC in the field for viruses.

Not to be mean, honestly, but that's just hilarious.

Now to the constructive side. How about installing a minimal Windows on those USB sticks plus say Kaspersky and Bitdefender or whatever your most trusted AV Products happen to be.

The "under one GUI" is the tricky part. But from what I remember most AV engines can be run CLI-only so some developer could build such a GUI for you which then just calls the AV engines.

• @Ympker said:
    And I'm looking for a free antivirus solution (once Eset expires) on top of that with better detection rates than Windows defender

Check out Kaspersky free: https://www.kaspersky.de/free-antivirus

PROs:
    -actually just an AVscanner, not a bloated "security suite"
    -is said to be relatively light/fast
    -not trusted by the USA, so probably doesn't turn a blind eye to NSA/CIA shenanigans
    -has had rather good detectionrates for years, Details (for the fulll version): https://www.av-test.org/de/antivirus/privat-windows/windows-10/april-2018/kaspersky-lab-internet-security-18.0-181457/

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • southysouthy Member
    edited June 2018

@jsg said:

@southy said:
    Interesting discussion.

One more aspect:

Not to be mean, honestly, but that's just hilarious.

How is that hilarious?
    Those are machines that, once deployed, are working für 10, 20, 30 years in the field.
    The industry is just about to transition away from the "M&M-security-approach" (air gap and be done) to "defense in depth" with patching and lifecycle management; there is plenty of room between both extremes for virus scanning.

Now to the constructive side. How about installing a minimal Windows on those USB sticks plus say Kaspersky and Bitdefender or whatever your most trusted AV Products happen to be.

Well, I would rather use Linux than Windows, but yes, this is the general idea.

The "under one GUI" is the tricky part. But from what I remember most AV engines can be run CLI-only so some developer could build such a GUI for you which then just calls the AV engines.

Exactly. That's just what I am looking for.
    That is also what "desinfect" from c't does.

Add central logging of all scanners, add central updating, add unifying the user experience in a common GUI for all scanners,
    Address the problem of how to create the stick in the field (as it is bootable, typically that includes writing an ISO to a stick with a dedicated tool... pretty complex for the average technician... so perhaps you need to come up with something nicely packaged there, too.)
    And don't forget the "licensing problem": you have to license all included scanners independently.
    And that on a global corporation scale for 1.000 users.

So: No, this is not rocket science. It's just a demand that hasn't yet found it's product.
    And: no, I don't want to spare developers for things that I can buy on the market. My developers are busy doing things that I can NOT buy.

Which is why I am asking if anyone knows a product that can do the job.

@southy said:
    How is that hilarious?

Scada equipment and Windows ...

That'll quite brutally limit your engine choices plus from what I've seen the linux engines are often behind the Windows ones and flakier.

So: No, this is not rocket science. It's just a demand that hasn't yet found it's product.
    And: no, I don't want to spare developers for things that I can buy on the market. My developers are busy doing things that I can NOT buy.

Which is why I am asking if anyone knows a product that can do the job.

Sorry that's not my field nor am I interested and unfortunately I don't know about such a product (off the shelf) either.

Considering your need and the playing field though I guess it would be relatively cheap and easily pay off to have some small software company with some experience in the field custom make a solution for you. If they are smart they recognize the market potential and offer you a good deal.

As for linux and Windows that shouldn't be a problem. There's quite some tools and libraries out there for a common GUI.

Good luck!

• southysouthy Member

@jsg said:

@southy said:
    How is that hilarious?

Ah, no, misunderstanding:
    It's not the process control plane that I'm talking about (the real-time stuff).
    It's process management plane and GUIs which are based on Windows.
    I did perhaps word that a bit misleading.

That'll quite brutally limit your engine choices plus from what I've seen the linux engines are often behind the Windows ones and flakier.

Interesting.
    So you say in Kaspersky's Linux version they use a differend engine than in their Windows engine? (Serious question!)
    I somehow just assumed they have the same engine as in their windows products...
    But on the other hand you are right in so far as that apart from Kaspersky, quite a few of the "very big names" do actually lack a linux client in general.
    Hmm... perhaps really a PXE boot...

Considering your need and the playing field though I guess it would be relatively cheap and easily pay off to have some small software company with some experience in the field custom make a solution for you. If they are smart they recognize the market potential and offer you a good deal.

Yes. If I don't find anything here...

Thanks,
    southy

• bapbap Member
    edited June 2018

@nhocconan said:
    Previously I used KIS on Windows OSes. After switching to Mac 8 years ago, I have been using my brain to anti-virus :-)

Can I borrow your brain as an antivirus once I decide to move to windows? :D

edited June 2018

@southy said:

@jsg said:

@southy said:
    How is that hilarious?

Ah, no, misunderstanding:
    It's not the process control plane that I'm talking about (the real-time stuff).
    It's process management plane and GUIs which are based on Windows.
    I did perhaps word that a bit misleading.

Pretty much all attacks in Scada environments go against the process management plane (Windows) and/or against certain well known Controller models (like S7).

Interesting.
    So you say in Kaspersky's Linux version they use a differend engine than in their Windows engine? (Serious question!)
    I somehow just assumed they have the same engine as in their windows products...
    But on the other hand you are right in so far as that apart from Kaspersky, quite a few of the "very big names" do actually lack a linux client in general.
    Hmm... perhaps really a PXE boot...

For one keep in mind that the very core mechanisms of AV engines are strongly Windows specific. Just like the viruses, trojans, etc themselves. If you took a virus and just replaced the exe format and the startup part so as to work on linux it would still run into a wall and do nothing in terms of its job but simply crash the system.

Plus not just the syscalls and many bits and pieces are different but even code that has no OS specific parts whatsoever has lots of differences e.g. in naming, in headers, and many other things. In summary the programmers targeting Windows usually have a mindset, paradigms, and habits that are quite different from those targeting a Unix system.

So a "linux version" of a Windows AV engine is NOT a "linux version" but rather a largely different program that just happens to interface to some company specific interfaces and some mechanisms that have originally been developed for Windows.

And BTW I would consider all experiences or test results with a Windows AV engine/product as pretty much meaningless for the linux version (which usually is probably worse but might also be even better).

• jcalebjcaleb Member

I think just use the free one from Microsoft and just add some good human practice

inthecloudblog said: How bad is McAfee ?

I don't like McAfee, he said Bitcoin will hit 100k this year but now it's sideways at 6-8k

Thanked by 1Ympker