Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESET vs Kaspersky or what Antivirus Software do you use? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ESET vs Kaspersky or what Antivirus Software do you use?

Comments

• +1 Eset for paid; Panda for free

• @rafaelscs said:
    +1 Eset for paid; Panda for free

Got myself Eset NOD32. Think it's enough or is there a reason for all the people mentioning Eset Smart?

• MSE has decent detection rate and it's light on resources.
    The false positives is high though.

• @jamesrat said:
    Gonna be the hipster in the corner. I'm running Cylance on my work and home machines.

Always referring blindly fooled people to this: https://blogs.sophos.com/2016/06/29/thoughts-on-comparative-testing/#more-31647

Thanked by 1Crogic
  • Kaspersky

• @tr1cky said:

@jamesrat said:
    Gonna be the hipster in the corner. I'm running Cylance on my work and home machines.

Always referring blindly fooled people to this: https://blogs.sophos.com/2016/06/29/thoughts-on-comparative-testing/#more-31647

You are not the first one to point this out. I provide IT services for a lot of different companies and have tested all the big players Sophos included. I ended up going with Cylance after using it through the evaluation and throwing everything I could at it. The footprint is much smaller than any other AV and has caused me less issues than the competition.

The price is higher than Sophos, Kaspersky, Avg etc. But the quality of service is much better. I have had computers crashed because of Sophos, Kaspersky, and AVG. Cylance leaves me in a bad mood when I look at their marketing material. However it's been the only AV that I have found stops Cryptolocker zero days when they break through email filtering.

• AllanEckarAllanEckar Member
    edited June 2018

Choose Bitdefender if you want something balance protection, powered by numerous features that can help to hardened your system. Advanced Threat Defense, Rescue mode, Safe Files and many more should sort out your needs.

Moreover, Bitdefender Antivirus and Total security focused purely on detection which very essential for typical users that rely too much on internet connection, their AVC helps a lot to determine suspicious programs.

• RazzaRazza Member
    edited June 2018

Nice necro posting there after 18 months.

Thanked by 1Lest
  • What the hell-_-

• @Ympker said:

@yomero said:
    Bitdefender here. The free version is really limited. The GUI of the "pro" one isn't that good, but seems to do the job.

Tested the pro one and had trouble with some games :/

I've used bitdefender for a long time but now their engine is too strict for me.

I've had some txt files with unimportant notes and bitdefender killed all those files just like that.
    Now i'm using qihoo 360 and it works great for me.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

I personally use Kaspersky as Norton is failed in past

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

WebProject said: Kaspersky Secure Connection - worldwide VPN services.

Who in their right mind would use a VPN that is run by the Russian government...

Thanked by 2vimalware vovler
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited June 2018

Damn you Windows! Now... we got to necro posting in LET for it's vulnerabilities.

And to be on subject... in 2015 (yes, because you like necro topics) I collected 8 different criptowall viruses from infected Windows computers in different cities and locations. I tested all of them with different antivirus softwares, on a machine with DeepFreeze. Best results: Eset, discovered 7/8; second Bitdefender with 5/8.

Therefore, I would recommend not using Windows in the first place. If for some life/death/job reason you can't stop from using Windows, learn to use DeepFreeze and lock the partition with that closed-source operating system (known as Windows) leaving a second partition open to keep documents and projects (configure Windows to store them there). Then use antivirus: Eset installed on second partition so it can update.

I know this is hard, but hey: you chose Windows, and you chose to necro this thread.

Thanked by 1Claverhouse
  • vovlervovler Member
    edited June 2018

@raindog308 said:

WebProject said: Kaspersky Secure Connection - worldwide VPN services.

Who in their right mind would use a VPN that is run by the Russian government...

Perhaps the US goverment

• bapbap Member

Last time I using win : Avast free version.

• @jamesrat said:

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/04/the-mystery-of-the-malware-that-wasnt/

• I have Avast free and Avira free in use.
    Sometimes I check the tests there > https://av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/
    ATM AhnLab have received great points. To me that's unknown name and I haven't tested it ever.

• mkshmksh Member
    edited June 2018

@AllanEckar working hard on your provider tag?

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

Eset might probably not be the best (according to diverse tests) way to install a versatile backdoor and ever changing vulnerabilities on ones computer but I really like their logo.

• oneilonlineoneilonline Member, Host Rep

ESET is by far superior! Been using it since 2006 I think it was. Can't even tell it's there, all I do is renew the license ;)

• Previously I used KIS on Windows OSes. After switching to Mac 8 years ago, I have been using my brain to anti-virus :-)

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

Use Webroot Endpoint protection (we are a distributor) costs about £2 a machine per month and is fully managed. (Daily reports) seems to work well.

Also like ESET Nod32

• YmpkerYmpker Member

My ESET will probably soon expire and I don't plan on renewing even though it was a great experience. What free antivirus would be the best in combination with Malwarebytes Premium (got lifetime malwarebytes :P)? I just don't like to rely on windows defender as antivirus :S

• Sophos home

Works great!

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @doughnet said:
    Sophos home

Works great!

I just put a magnet under my router.

• defaultdefault Veteran

@Ole_Juul said:

@doughnet said:
    Sophos home

Works great!

I just put a magnet under my router.

Great idea. That should attract all the bad packets. Once a month you just clean the magnet from all that garbage packets stuck to it, and throw all that in trash bin; then put back the clean magnet under the router. No virus would expect that, because it can't be seen from the ethernet cable or fiber optics.

Thanked by 1flatland_spider
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

jamesrat said: Cylance leaves me in a bad mood

Cylance completely blows. We implemented on 10K+ systems and have spent tons of time afterwards patching due to memory leaks, bugs, it blowing up systems, etc.

To some extent all the AV systems suck but Cylance comes with a disgusting degree of "we use super-secret AI algorithms" bullshit.

Ironically, the one ransomware attack we saw affected Cylance systems while our Symantec systems that hadn't migrated yet blocked the vuln ;-)

Thanked by 2vimalware netomx
  • Safe browsing habits! Need to throw your machine into the gauntlet. No antivirus can ever be perfect. I run (each separately one at a time) at a computer repair shop, mbar, mbam, kapersky, stinger, adware medic and usually one or the other picks up something the others didn't.

• sidewindersidewinder Member
    edited June 2018

Block all outgoing DNS requests (so any computer on the network with a resolver configured will fail) at the router/firewall and use quad 9s (or similar DNS resolver) on the router or a customized blocklist layer in front of quad 9s like pihole or pfblockerng for pfsense or a mini vps (preferably in your home city) with netmasq and good block lists updated often and have netmasq use quad 9s or some other malware blocking dns resolver/service.

This makes it pretty hard to get infected. Not impossible, but if you use good blocklists + good DNS resolver with ad-ware blocking and update your lists frequently it is gonna be really hard to get fucked around by a virus or cryptoware with the additional benefit of ad-blocking happening at the router versus configuring on a per-device basis.

This is probably the best advice you will ever get on blocking viruses without having to install AV software on every device in an office or your home or whatever.

Blocking outgoing DNS requests (I think port 53) is key - a VPN to configured for bootleg DNS queries is the only way I know around this, but I am far from an expert.

• w3e4r5w3e4r5 Member

all AV soft whichs need to buy are shit .Windows 10 internal Microsoft Defender, Free, Light, enough.