Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Netcup 16th birthday special - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Netcup 16th birthday special

Comments

• qtwrkqtwrk Member
    Thanked by 1ehab
  • imokimok Member

Will it be able to run some Proxmox VMs?

• FalzoFalzo Member

@imok said:
    Will it be able to run some Proxmox VMs?

no VMs just CT, so only containers, LXC (or OVZ)

for KVM / full nested virtualization you need the VMX cpu flag, which is intentionally not passed through. afaik it can be enabled on request, but will then be charged with 2€ per core (would be another 16€ monthly on top)

if I am not mistaken additional IPs are 1€ monthly

Thanked by 2imok BBTN
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Falzo said: no VMs just CT, so only containers, LXC (or OVZ)

Cheap OpenVZ and it's June...perfect storm.

Waiting for offers!

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • angstromangstrom Moderator

Hard to resist. I wonder whether the offer ends at midnight German time.

• pikepike Veteran

@Falzo said:
    I agree. I am close to ordering one. the only thing that's keeping me from it so far is that I need to agree to their newer TOS then, which forbids mining on my BF VM :-P

Mach dir doch einen zweiten Account.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

@pike said:

@Falzo said: and
    I agree. I am close to ordering one. the only thing that's keeping me from it so far is that I need to agree to their newer TOS then, which forbids mining on my BF VM :-P

If he has to provide his ID card like usually required by netcup this will not work I assume.

• FalzoFalzo Member

@Ympker said:

@pike said:

If he has to provide his ID card like usually required by netcup this will not work I assume.

Haha :-)

could work though, because they still have my old business address on file which only changed lately. yet I am not interested to risk any business related stuff over a few crypto shitcoins ;-)
    the mining crap alltogether was more of an experiment, to see if they technically do something about it, like limiting CPU or similar...

I have no real need for that netcup box as usual. but with the 1.6 TB it could replace my grandfathered online.net dedi with 2x2TB but slow xeon L3426 cpu, and even at a cheaper price.
    yet I have a fancy IP like 51.51.151.15 with online.net for which I am sentimental...

obviously have something like 23 hours left to decide, lol.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • imokimok Member
    edited June 2018

@Falzo said:

Oh just do it. Here is a direct link to make the things easier https://www.netcup.de/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=2194

Does it say 80TB? I thought it was 8TB.

• ehabehab Member

@imok said:
    Does it says 80TB? I thought it was 8TB.

don't be crule to Falzo.. heheh

• twaintwain Member

I’m a new Netcup customer and absolutely love their service so far, so this sure looks alluring. Seems like a really great price too.

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@Falzo said:

@Ympker said:

@pike said:

Haha :-)

could work though, because they still have my old business address on file which only changed lately. yet I am not interested to risk any business related stuff over a few crypto shitcoins ;-)
    the mining crap alltogether was more of an experiment, to see if they technically do something about it, like limiting CPU or similar...

I have no real need for that netcup box as usual. but with the 1.6 TB it could replace my grandfathered online.net dedi with 2x2TB but slow xeon L3426 cpu, and even at a cheaper price.
    yet I have a fancy IP like 51.51.151.15 with online.net for which I am sentimental...

First world problems haha :D

Just do it!

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • FalzoFalzo Member

@Ympker so true!

@imok can I ask a last favour and have you check via df -BM or fdisk -l if it actually is 1.6TB or more like 1.6TiB ? thanks a lot.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • The price is quite expensive. But the configuration is great.

@Falzo said: @imok can I ask a last favour and have you check via df -BM or fdisk -l if it actually is 1.6TB or more like 1.6TiB ? thanks a lot.

Based on a vServer (MiB) and Root-Server (GiB) that I have, I would guess TiB ...

Thanked by 1Falzo
    edited June 2018

@dangduc1 said:
    The price is quite expensive. But the configuration is great.

I do't think that any of us would be tempted if the price were expensive for the configuration.

• What is actually the difference between their Root and vServer? I know, they have a page and I do read German but I still don't get what it means in practical terms.

To me Root sounds better than vServer, but their 8Gb Root is actually cheaper than the 8Gb vServer.

I have no actual server demand right now, but when demand comes they are pretty much on top of the list (when does Hetzner has birthday?)

• FalzoFalzo Member
    edited June 2018

@angstrom said:

@Falzo said: @imok can I ask a last favour and have you check via df -BM or fdisk -l if it actually is 1.6TB or more like 1.6TiB ? thanks a lot.

Based on a vServer (MiB) and Root-Server (GiB) that I have, I would guess TiB ...

I assume the same, and because 150GB is not negligible I think it would be a plus ;-)

still need to think of a use for that box

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

@dergelbe said:
    What is actually the difference between their Root and vServer? I know, they have a page and I do read German but I still don't get what it means in practical terms.

To me Root sounds better than vServer, but their 8Gb Root is actually cheaper than the 8Gb vServer.

I have no actual server demand right now, but when demand comes they are pretty much on top of the list (when does Hetzner has birthday?)

Afaik with Root you get dedicated cores with vServer you don't.

• @Ympker said:

@dergelbe said:
    What is actually the difference between their Root and vServer? I know, they have a page and I do read German but I still don't get what it means in practical terms.

So shouldn't root be more expensive then? Another question, their vServers are KVM?

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@dergelbe said:

@Ympker said:

@dergelbe said:

So shouldn't root be more expensive then? Another question, their vServers are KVM?

Yeah iirc they are KVM too :)
    Root usually is more expensive but depending on the specs it can vary I guess^^

@dergelbe said: What is actually the difference between their Root and vServer? I know, they have a page and I do read German but I still don't get what it means in practical terms.

If you read German, see https://www.netcup.de/vserver/vergleich-root-server-vps.php .

To my mind, the two major differences are dedicated CPU cores for Root-Servers (not for vServers) and an availability/uptime guarantee of 99,9% for Root-Servers (vs 99,6% for vServers).

(There's also hourly billing for non-promotional vServers, but not for Root-Servers, if you need hourly billing.)

• graphicgraphic Member
    edited June 2018
    Thanked by 2angstrom Falzo
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited June 2018

@angstrom said:

@dergelbe said: What is actually the difference between their Root and vServer? I know, they have a page and I do read German but I still don't get what it means in practical terms.

If you read German, see https://www.netcup.de/vserver/vergleich-root-server-vps.php .

To my mind, the two major differences are dedicated CPU cores for Root-Servers (not for vServers) and an availability/uptime guarantee of 99,9% for Root-Servers (vs 99,6% for vServers).

(There's also hourly billing for non-promotional vServers, but not for Root-Servers, if you need hourly billing.)

It is not the kind of hourly billing you are used to though. They require you to pay x months upfront as funds in your account and then bill your usage hourly.. Afaik that's for every hourly billed server so even if you jave some funds left in your acc, when you purchase a new hourly billed server younneed to prepay again instead of just using your remaining balance from the get-go.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited June 2018

I am @Falzo :O #confirmed

Links to: Click

@dergelbe said: To me Root sounds better than vServer, but their 8Gb Root is actually cheaper than the 8Gb vServer.

Other things being equal, yes, a Root-Server is better than the corresponding vServer, but other things aren't always equal.

The price difference you noticed is €0,51/month (half a euro), and for this extra money the corresponding vServer has four virtual shared CPU cores (vs two dedicated CPU cores for the Root-Server) and has a 80GB SSD (vs a 40GB SSD for the Root-Server). Of these two, the bigger SSD is definitely significant. (Personally, I would prefer two dedicated CPU cores over four virtual shared cores.)

It's also possible that the extra €0,51 is in part an artifact of their rate for hourly billing.

Thanked by 2NanoG6 dergelbe
  • @Ympker said:
    I am @Falzo :O #confirmed

Links to: Click

Sorry :D
    I've had an old saved draft and forgot to delete it before posting.

Shame on me.

Thanked by 1Ympker

@Ympker said:

@angstrom said:

It is not the kind of hourly billing you are used to though. They require you to pay x months upfront as funds in your account and then bill your usage hourly.. Afaik that's for every hourly billed server so even if you jave some funds left in your acc, when you purchase a new hourly billed server younneed to prepay again instead of just using your remaining balance from the get-go.

Yes, that's also why I mentioned the hourly billing in parentheses. :-)

If one is already a netcup customer with other, longer contracts, it probably isn't such a big deal to put sufficient funds in one's account in order to make use of a vServer on an hourly basis, but this option is clearly less attractive if one doesn't already have other, longer contracts with netcup.

Thanked by 1LeonDynamic

@Falzo said:

@angstrom said:

I assume the same, and because 150GB is not negligible I think it would be a plus ;-)

still need to think of a use for that box

If I got this vServer, I could consolidate everything that I have into one server with plenty of space left over. It's tempting. But then I think about all (3 or 4) of the pretty domain names that I have and would no longer have a use for. :-D

First-world dilemmas, indeed.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • datanoisedatanoise Member
    edited June 2018

Seems to me that their shared hosting offer comes with 3 .de domains and you can add up to 3 external domains; did I understand that right? Thanks