Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any C.H.I.P. alternatives?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any C.H.I.P. alternatives?

netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

As title. CHIP was good because:

1. onboard storage (8gb)
  2. 1 usb port
  3. lipo charger
  4. wifi + bt
  5. small
  6. too cheap

Any alternative?

Comments

• Omega2+ :)

• jetchiragjetchirag Member
    edited June 2018

Raspberry Pi 3

Edit: Can't believe the price. I recently ordered the wifi module for arduino which itself costs $5 and $2-3 for bluetooth. ;(

• noamannoaman Member

Check out boards from orange pi....They are decent :-)

• Banana PI is cool as well. It all depends on what you want it to do for you.

If it is for Streaming I gave up and bought some Firesticks. Cheap and run well even for TV streaming.

BTW @netomx Congrats and where are my tacos?

• StevieStevie Member

If you need something with wifi and bluetooth with a tiny screen and battery but not really powerful (it uses esp32) there's always the https://pocketsprite.com/

• edited June 2018

netomx said: As title. CHIP was good because:

onboard storage (8gb)

1 usb port
    lipo charger
    wifi + bt
    small
    too cheap
    Any alternative?

Alternative in which area? Pricing? Processing Power? Ports? etc? I always suggest ODROID-XU4 as an excellent SBC, but certainly can't compare pricing.

• @rajprakash said:

netomx said: As title. CHIP was good because:

onboard storage (8gb)

1 usb port
    lipo charger
    wifi + bt
    small
    too cheap
    Any alternative?

Alternative in which area? Pricing? Processing Power? Ports? etc? I always suggest ODROID-XU4 as an excellent SBC, but certainly can't compare pricing.

Seems like a mini beast

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

doghouch said: Omega2

Didnt noticed that, runs Jessie, too! Thanks! It seems it is the closest one

AuroraZ said: Banana PI

The problem is price + size + i think orange pi works better :/

Stevie said: esp32

Thanks, but looking for something with Linux :)

rajprakash said: ODROID-XU4

Pricing :/

Alternative with those specs, but I think there's none :/

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited June 2018

netomx said: onboard storage (8gb)

I think that's useless, for casual use SD cards are okay, for hardcore use you connect a SATA SSD.

Only gets you downsides, if you wear out onboard flash, it can't be replaced.

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • williewillie Member

I've been intrigued by this (hmm, out of stock and price went up a couple bucks):

https://www.seeedstudio.com/LinkIt-Smart-7688-Duo-p-2574.html

Thanked by 1netomx
  • edited June 2018

I've had really good success running Armbian on a bunch of Orange Pi boards. Cheap, easy to get, and full coverage of typical Deb based package repos (Debian or Ubuntu).

I have yet to find something I can't run. Plex, LNMP, Docker, grafana/influxdb/telegraf, XFCE with all the X desktop apps you could want, pi-hole, NFS/SMB, OpenVPN, etc, etc, etc. Anything in the repos are ready to go!

My ARM arsenal now includes ODROID-XU4, ODROID-C1, RPi1 Model B, Orange Pi PC, Orange Pi PC2 and two Orange Pi Zeros. I have another -XU4 on the way (got it cheap on Reddit), looking to get an ODROID-N1 when it comes out, and looking for a cheap Rock64 if I can get one at the right price.

Thanked by 2netomx vimalware
  • doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited June 2018

@netomx As long as you get the power dock during a sale (Black Friday, etc.), it’s really worth it :)

(It runs OpenWRT by default iirc.)

Thanked by 1netomx
  • FoxelVoxFoxelVox Member
    edited June 2018

https://www.adafruit.com/product/2885

The Pi Zero is a thing, little less fast then the RPI2 yet only 5$. version with WiFi+bt onboard is 10$.

http://www.friendlyarm.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=151

Otherwise, this one

Thanked by 2netomx Janevski

@doghouch will wait for a sale :)

@FoxelVox

I have 2 RPi0 already.

That neo looks sexy, though

• Contemplating an Odroid to use as a Kodi box, a quick google tells me the C2 is better than the XU4 as it can decode 4K, any thoughts or suggestions for an alternative?

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited June 2018

kaktus69 said: Contemplating an Odroid to use as a Kodi box, a quick google tells me the C2 is better than the XU4 as it can decode 4K, any thoughts or suggestions for an alternative?

If 4k isn't important you can use H3Droid on an H3 based device, such as an Orange Pi PC Plus or Orange Pi Plus 2E.

@netomx there are OPi Zero/ Lite and other versions that may also closely match what you need. BPi M2+ may even almost fit your needs, barring the lipo charging. Not a lot of board have lipo charging circuitry, that is gonna be the hardest to find for cheap. If lipo and on board storage wasn't such a big deal, the newer version of the LicheePi Zero almost match you needs, however, it only has 64MB ram so, if memory is important this may not be a match either.

What is you actual use case, maybe I could provide a better / more accurate suggestion?

Cheers!

Thanked by 1kaktus69

TheLinuxBug said: LicheePi

It is only sold in Taobao? https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=548671148384

Well, just because you asked... Openkore :P hahaha. I was bored and launched 2 sbc with it, and today I'll put a solar panel, just bc I can :P

• mkshmksh Member

Maybe check friendlyarm.com?

• AC_FanAC_Fan Member

@kaktus69 said:
    Contemplating an Odroid to use as a Kodi box, a quick google tells me the C2 is better than the XU4 as it can decode 4K, any thoughts or suggestions for an alternative?

No HDR on that, maybe something like Khadas VIM, Minix U9-H or LePotato on LibreElec, or Vero 4K on OSMC.

Thanked by 1kaktus69
  • kaktus69kaktus69 Member
    edited June 2018

@AC_Fan said:

@kaktus69 said:
    Contemplating an Odroid to use as a Kodi box, a quick google tells me the C2 is better than the XU4 as it can decode 4K, any thoughts or suggestions for an alternative?

No HDR on that, maybe something like Khadas VIM, Minix U9-H or LePotato on LibreElec, or Vero 4K on OSMC.

Thanks, I'll have a look at the devices you mentioned, never knew there was so much choice.

I don't need another Kodi box but lots of want for a new shiny gadget.

• AC_FanAC_Fan Member

@kaktus69 said:

@AC_Fan said:

@kaktus69 said:

Thanks, I'll have a look at the devices you mentioned, never knew there was so much choice.

I don't need another Kodi box but lots of want for a new shiny gadget.

The Vero 4K is the best (basically plug and play and quite feature rich) but is a 130 USD box (+ whatever a USB 2.0 to Ethernet adaptor costs), while the others are much cheaper but limited to basically Kodi. None are good for streaming services, pickup the Fire TV 4K for that.

• edited June 2018

kaktus69 said: never knew there was so much choice.

Check out this non-exhaustive list....
    http://linuxgizmos.com/january-2018-catalog-of-hacker-friendly-sbcs/

:)

Thanked by 1kaktus69
  • @rajprakash said:

kaktus69 said: never knew there was so much choice.

Check out this non-exhaustive list....
    http://linuxgizmos.com/january-2018-catalog-of-hacker-friendly-sbcs/

:)

Wow, so little time (and money), so many potential new gadgets that I want. I would hate to look at the exhaustive list :-)

Thanked by 1netomx