Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help me to choose. Managed VPS or dedicated server?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Help me to choose. Managed VPS or dedicated server?

draziloxdrazilox Member
edited May 2013 in Help

Hi everyone!

I currently host ~10 low traffic websites, but that won't be the case in the future, so I want to expand now. So I currently have MediaTemple's Grid Server hosting, but that won't do in the future, so what should I do.

The two options I've been thinking are 1. MediaTemple's Dedicated Virtual server, the cheapest is $50, and I can easily expand when needed. 2. Fairly cheap dedicated server (maybe from Hetzner), which already has the specs needed, so I don't need to expand.

I will also resell those services a bit, for friends and for people I do websites for.

Also is there anything special I need to know about dedicated servers that are dedicated to webhosting (cpu, ram ammount, etc...), I would love to know.

Uptime is very important for me too, of course ;) !

Thanks!

Comments

• Go with MediaTemple. You can't even compare them to ghetto DCs like Hetzner.

• draziloxdrazilox Member
    edited May 2013

@serverian said:
    Go with MediaTemple. You can't even compare them to ghetto DCs like Hetzner.

Thanks for pointing that out. Yeah (mt) sounds a lot better already.

Any other cheap dedicated provider is probably all the same (like OVH or Online.fr).

• JacobJacob Member

There's more than price to factor in when your blogs start growing.

Is there any specific country you are targetting, as the location will also be important.

@drazilox said:
    Any other cheap dedicated provider is probably all the same (like OVH or Online.fr).

• @Jacob said:
    Is there any specific country you are targetting, as the location will also be important.

Mostly europe, which MediaTemple is not. But it has been working great so far so that doesn't seem to matter that much. I also use cdn which might be the reason why.

• awsonawson Member

(mt) is awesome, go with them.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Yep, MediaTemple is a good company and you can't go wrong with them (if you can afford it lol).

• @shovenose said:
    Yep, MediaTemple is a good company and you can't go wrong with them (if you can afford it lol).

This is very true, but that's why (mt) (dv) is good, because $50 is not too much to start with, and later when I need more resources, I can afford to spend more.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Well you are getting overcharged for 1GB of RAM and 30GB of disk with only 1TB of transfer but the service and support is top-notch, which is going to be a decision you'll have to make.

• awsonawson Member

Why don't you get a (ve)?

• @awson said:

It's a bit unclear to me, what's the diffrence between (ve) and (dv), can you explain it to me? The pricing between them specs-wise is pretty balanced, specially after the ram upgrade they did. And I don't need to worry about the bandwidth yet, so that could be good.

• awsonawson Member

@drazilox said:
    It's a bit unclear to me, what's the diffrence between (ve) and (dv), can you explain it to me? The pricing between them specs-wise is pretty balanced, specially after the ram upgrade they did. And I don't need to worry about the bandwidth yet, so that could be good.

I believe (dv) comes with Plesk and is forced to use CentOS. (ve) is a more traditional VPS service.

• @awson said:
    I believe (dv) comes with Plesk and is forced to use CentOS. (ve) is a more traditional VPS service.

Okay, that works! There is one thing with (dv) that sounds pretty good, but I can always switch from one to another if needed:

Resell Hosting

Profit from your (dv) with powerful reseller features including easy subscription creation, separate control panels, a free billing application and powerful resource management tools.

• awsonawson Member

@drazilox said:
    Okay, that works! There is one thing with (dv) that sounds pretty good, but I can always switch from one to another if needed:

I believe that's a feature of Plesk.

• corpuscorpus Member

My advice. Rent a vps and start to learn how to setup a server. When you are ready do the movement.

• NickGHNickGH Member

Moving to a dedi is easy from a vps. Also with a vps you can backup and restore with relative ease. Plus a vps is a great learning environment.

• draziloxdrazilox Member
    edited May 2013

@corpus said:
    My advice. Rent a vps and start to learn how to setup a server. When you are ready do the movement.

Tried that. Managing multiple domains on apache (manually) is a mess. And nginx is not just getting me the vibes.

@NickGH said:
    Moving to a dedi is easy from a vps. Also with a vps you can backup and restore with relative ease. Plus a vps is a great learning environment.

Might be, but I'm sticking to MediaTemple for now.

Thanks everyone for your opinions.

• prae5prae5 Member

If you're having issues with managing things, try tuxlite or similar - takes care of setting up vhosts, databases, etc...

• @prae5 said:
    If you're having issues with managing things, try tuxlite or similar - takes care of setting up vhosts, databases, etc...

Thanks! I will defintely keep that in mind. And for debian too, awesome!

• NetxonsNetxons Member

For me I'm sure go for Dedicated Server and you'll got more resources which you mentioned you wanna resell it as well =) And you can play with it if the provider got the IPMI or the Rescue Systems etcs.

• prae5prae5 Member

@drazilox said:
    Thanks! I will defintely keep that in mind. And for debian too, awesome!

Make things much easier until you are a little more comfortable with things, add a new site is as simple as:

./domain.sh add username somedomain.com

and it sets everything up for you - to install wordpress its as simple as ./wordpress.sh and it will take care of setting it all up for you too

• I might go for a dedicated server later, but I can't afford a good one yet. As serverian pointed out, Hetzner has "ghetto data centers" so I want a server at good DC.

• @awson said:

Oh, after some research, it seems (ve) is just plain vps, which really doesn't suit my needs, since I'd still have to manage the apache multisite mess myself. If I wanted to do that, I'd probably buy vps from some good LEB provider. The reason I'm going with (mt) is because I don't want deal with all that, which, I guess, a dedicated server would be too. Anyway thanks for all help. (dv) will suit my needs just fine.