Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Marshall Acton Music Box or Bose Soundtouch 300 Home Theater?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Marshall Acton Music Box or Bose Soundtouch 300 Home Theater?

I'm gonna buy one of the two today (listened to both in a hifi shop just now). Any of the two you have had especially good experiences with?

Comments

• imokimok Member
    edited June 2018

No experience with them.

But are you looking something for movies or just music? For movies a single speaker is not the best idea.

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/what-is-inside-a-sound-bar

I wouldn't buy any sound bar for more than $100. I've just replaced the one that came as a "gift" (when I bought a TV) with a Sony 5.1 system.

• Host4GeeksHost4Geeks Member, Host Rep

No ideas about the Acton but I own the Bose SoundTouch 300 along with the Bass Unit and Rear Speakers, you need the entire set to make it a worthwhile investment. The soundbar alone is not going to be enough.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited June 2018

@Host4Geeks said:
    No ideas about the Acton but I own the Bose SoundTouch 300 along with the Bass Unit and Rear Speakers, you need the entire set to make it a worthwhile investment. The soundbar alone is not going to be enough.

Thanks! Yeah we were able to listen to it in the shop but only the soundbar would have not been good enough^^ Cheaper bose or marshall devices were better tbh the sounbar only really shines in combination with subwoofer etc

• pcanpcan Member
    edited June 2018

Soundbars and single-cabinet TV audio systems have a bad price/performance ratio. They are targeted to the most severe space constrained setups. For the same amount of money, or even less, you can buy a tried & tested traditional small stereo Hi-Fi or even a surround system that will sound far better. If you buy from Amazon or from most reputable A/V stores, you could even try it on your room and send it back if you don't like it. Listening at the shop is not the best way to try, because speakers are greatly influenced by room acoustics, and the result on your room may be different. I suggest to try a small 2-way entry level bookshelf speaker pair built by a reputable Hi-Fi brand (such as Q-Acoustics 3020 or 2020) and a small fanless stereo China amplifier with class D chip technology (TPA3116D2 or similar). Grand total 300 euro. You will be amazed. Unless you are a Hi-Fi expert, you will not tell the difference from a much more expensive consumer grade Hi-Fi. That's why you rarely if ever see this kind of entry level systems in a generic shop. To fill the low frequency, add a cheap active subwoofer.

Thanked by 2Ympker imok
  • FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

@pcan said:
    Soundbars and single-cabinet TV audio systems have a bad price/performance ratio. They are targeted to the most severe space constrained setups. For the same amount of money, or even less, you can buy a tried & tested traditional small stereo Hi-Fi or even a surround system that will sound far better. If you buy from Amazon or from most reputable A/V stores, you could even try it on your room and send it back if you don't like it. Listening at the shop is not the best way to try, because speakers are greatly influenced by room acoustics, and the result on your room may be different. I suggest to try a small 2-way entry level bookshelf speaker pair built by a reputable Hi-Fi brand (such as Q-Acoustics 3020 or 2020) and a small fanless stereo China amplifier with class D chip technology (TPA3116D2 or similar). Grand total 300 euro. You will be amazed. Unless you are a Hi-Fi expert, you will not tell the difference from a much more expensive consumer grade Hi-Fi. That's why you rarely if ever see this kind of entry level systems in a generic shop. To fill the low frequency, add a cheap active subwoofer.

Vouch for TPA3116, they are amazing chips and sound awesome

• YmpkerYmpker Member

Went for the Marshall Stanmore and can't complain! Super sound for the money (265€). Got the non-wifi option (with wifi the box is +200ish€)