Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many vps can be created in below configuration
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How many vps can be created in below configuration

Hello guys, can you please help me with giving information that, how many vps I can create with below configuration.

Intel Xeon E5 2630v4, 20 Core on server, 256GB RAM, 2000GB SSD, 128 IP’s

vps that I want to create with below configuration, please let me know how many vps I can create in above configuration assigning below resource.

I want to assign below resource to each vps.

2GB with 2vCPU 30GB Space

I will only use open source for vps like: ( ubuntu, centos etc.. )

Note: We are already aware that it depends on application which we will use on our vps, actually the purpose to post this query to understand the method and concept of vcpu.

I also have one another query that, how many vcpu we can be assign to VPSs, when we have 2 physical cpu with 2 cores.

Comments

• mkshmksh Member

Thanked by 1vovler
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Are you posting here hoping somebody else will do the math for you?

• vguptavgupta Member

Actually I am not able to calculate this, so I need expert suggestion, that, how we many vcpu we can assign and how many vps can be created with provided configuration.

Actually, I have not much knowledge about vcpu and cpu core.

• emghemgh Member

@vgupta said:
    Actually I am not able to calculate this, so I need expert suggestion, that, how we many vcpu we can assign and how many vps can be created with provided configuration.

Actually, I have not much knowledge about vcpu and cpu core.

Are they going to be sold?

• vguptavgupta Member

Yes I want to deploy vps on kvm to sale

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

Do you acctually have the budget for said server or already purchased it, or just deciding to start out with that kinda host node?

• vguptavgupta Member

We have not purchased it yet, we are planning for it.

• First-RootFirst-Root Member, Host Rep

If you don't know how to calculate this I really doubt that you have the knowledge to operate and support it.

Thanked by 2Silvest yomero
  • vguptavgupta Member

My post was only purpose to get information that how max vcpu we can assingn with 2 physical cpu with 4 core. and the core amount is only for example.

It doesn't mean that I don't know how to calculate, I just want to know vcpu concept.

• mkshmksh Member

@vgupta said:
    I just want to know vcpu concept.

You emulate X virtual cores on top of Y physical cores. What's so hard to understand about this?

• vguptavgupta Member

My simply question that, how max vcpu can be assign out for 2 core

• mkshmksh Member

@vgupta said:
    My simply question that, how max vcpu can be assign out for 2 core

Simple answer: 256 multiplied by number of VMs on the node without KVM acceleration, 64 multiplied by number of VMs on the node with KVM acceleration. Does this make any sense? No. Can you do it? Sure.

What you are really asking is to have someone figure out your overselling factor for you which is not going to happen for a lot of reasons which seem to escape you.

Seriously, learn some basics then reconsider your project. I am not even being an ass here. As is you and your clients are going to have a bad time.

• niknik Member, Host Rep

If you ask questions like this you can't put any VM on this server, vCPU doesn't matter.

• vmp32kvmp32k Member

You'll probably only know for sure by actually running VPS on the server and see what happens. Give away free trial VPS' for a month or something like that but remember to block outgoing port 25 connections first.

Results wouldn't be 100% accurate but it might give you a feel for the direction that performance will go in.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

There is no correct number. Everybody here can take a guess for you, but there are way too many factors involved.

• vovlervovler Member

It all depends on how much you want to oversell it and how much CPU will your customers use. There is no way to predict that.

• NomadNomad Member

Guess it depends on how hot the summer is.

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited June 2018

Easiest way is to disregard CPU and SSD usage all together and only sell based on RAM. You might have slowdowns or you might not. Just remember to leave some free RAM to the host machine.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • vguptavgupta Member

is it possible to create up to 100 vps with same configuration.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

@vgupta said:
    is it possible to create up to 100 vps with same configuration.

You can make 1000 if you want. Doesnt mean it's a good idea.

But seriously, if you don't know what you are doing, easiest is to do what @stefeman suggests and go by RAM and ignore CPU entirely.

Assume you need to reserve some ram for the host machine and sell the rest.

256 GB total RAM. Reserve 16GB? Sell 240GB. 2GB per VM = 120 VMs in total.

Very simple.

• vguptavgupta Member

@randvegeta thanks for your simple answer

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2018

4, which coincidentally is the amount of years from this point it will take for you to acquire enough knowledge to start selling them and gain a provider tag.

• My math:
    256 GB total RAM. Reserve 16GB? Sell 240GB. 2GB per VM, resell 1:3, 360 total. But 128Ip? It’s OK. Create 232 NAT.

• LeeLee Veteran

Harsh, you could easily get 5 on there.

Thanked by 1mksh
  • vguptavgupta Member

Thanks @levnode, can you please help in one more thing, can you suggest me for good and cheapest dedicated server provider.

Also please suggest me for virtualization tools, which we should use

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • Next thread will be "how can i install kvm?"

• vguptavgupta Member

@vinnyletje you can install the same from below link:

https://www.virtualizor.com/wiki/Install_KVM

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

@vgupta said:
    @vinnyletje you can install the same from below link:

https://www.virtualizor.com/wiki/Install_KVM

I forsee troubles ahead for you. In addition to not knowing what you are doing, you just want to buy the cheapest server around... You need to do some actual research first.

• mkshmksh Member

@levnode said:
    My math:
    256 GB total RAM. Reserve 16GB? Sell 240GB. 2GB per VM, resell 1:3, 360 total. But 128Ip? It’s OK. Create 232 NAT.

Ugh. What? Considering the guy has zero clue and intents to sell the VPS i already thought giving him the impression he could somehow count on 120 VMs was bad but this is insane.

It's not like he has the disk to even support 120 VMs your calculation wants him to oversell the space by over 500%!? Do you seriously think his (single SSD with no raid??) disk is going to take the IO for anything but idle usage? I am not that sure. Also maybe you missed it but he wants to sell KVM so you are not only expecting him to deal with thin provisioning the disks at insane ratios, no you also want him to figure out how to oversell his RAM. Besides, disregarding CPU is one thing plastering 18 VMs on each core is another. On top of that NAT configuration and likely a metered 1gbit port shared between 360 people.

Yike, just yike...

@vgupta said:
    Thanks @levnode, can you please help in one more thing, can you suggest me for good and cheapest dedicated server provider.

See what you guys have done?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Knowing what buttons to press with no idea what they do and being fine with that... Jesus H smith, just give up already

Thanked by 1mksh