Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stripe not going to support hosting company to get payment ! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Stripe not going to support hosting company to get payment !

Comments

• toshosttoshost Member, Host Rep

@jarland said:
    @toshost Can you DM me the email address that you used to converse with their support team? I'm concerned about the phrase "businesses of this nature" and would like to start a discussion with them.

It's their official support email id.

• NomadNomad Member

Stripe was best, especially with the Hostbill integrated support and with its ease of use but it says on their TOS that they do not support hosting companies.

@Clouvider said:
    I normally find that if someone has an outright issue with PayPal there’s a reason to worry on thebfraud screening front. PayPal Pro is not visible to the Customer, if you process your end, PayPal is not mentioned on the cc bill either

PayPal doesn't work in every country.
    Neither as a seller nor a user.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited June 2018

@toshost said:

@jarland said:
    @toshost Can you DM me the email address that you used to converse with their support team? I'm concerned about the phrase "businesses of this nature" and would like to start a discussion with them.

I mean your email, so I can say "I heard you were conversing with ______."

@vovler said:

@jarland said:

You using Stripe?

In more than one company, if you get what I'm hinting at. I need to know ASAP if they're going to cut off hosting providers. That seems to be what they've said here.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@jarland said:

@toshost said:

@jarland said:

I mean your email, so I can say "I heard you were conversing with ______."

@vovler said:

@jarland said:

You using Stripe?

In more than one company, if you get what I'm hinting at. I need to know ASAP if they're going to cut off hosting providers. That seems to be what they've said here.

Read from several hosting companies that they no longer want to do business with hosting companies. Not all though. There seem to be a few exceptions. I will email them as I was considering to start using them.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Would be disappointing if they actually are going to start blocking off merchants that sell hosting services. They're one of my favorite card processors, plus the fraud tools they have are pretty well developed.

• jhjh Member

Re Stripe, same happened to us and it took 18 months for them to change their mind. Just move on. PayPal Pro is an expensive alternative though.

So what about Skrill? Authorize.net?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2018

No issues here, is stripe used at DO @jarland would be fun to start a public twitter storm about this if I do get a we don't support hosts email?

2checkout seems interesting. How long does it take to withdraw funds to EU? And how about fees compared to PayPal? Need to investigate all this tomorrow.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2018

@MikePT said:
    2checkout seems interesting. How long does it take to withdraw funds to EU? And how about fees compared to PayPal? Need to investigate all this tomorrow.

2CO explicitly does not allow hosting businesses, there’s a twitter exchange between ourselves, another host and them where they say it explicitly.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • HannanHannan Member, Host Rep

I am very concern about this. Anyone else faced the same issue with Stripe?

• CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep

We might end up in a situation where hosting businesses need to open up physical stores because they can't accept online payments anymore :P

Thanked by 1mohamed

@CConner said:
    We might end up in a situation where hosting businesses need to open up physical stores because they can't accept online payments anymore :P

Snail mail cash payments for VPS incoming?

Thanked by 1CConner
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Zen said: Every host needs to push crypto.

I disagree. Crypto-currencies do have a lot of benefits, but also have downsides to them so this is not the end-all solution. Some clients I like it when they pay with BTC, others I'd prefer they use something with better fraud checking. Not to mention, if a company approaches you willing to write you a sizable check, you don't try to convince them to pay you in BTC.

Thanked by 2Aidan Wolveix
  • RIYADRIYAD Member, Patron Provider

Last year we applied for Stripe Atlas and was rejected because of our business model (Hosting).

https://stripe.com/docs/atlas#cannot

@KuJoe said:

Zen said: Every host needs to push crypto.

I disagree. Crypto-currencies do have a lot of benefits, but also have downsides to them so this is not the end-all solution. Some clients I like it when they pay with BTC, others I'd prefer they use something with better fraud checking. Not to mention, if a company approaches you willing to write you a sizable check, you don't try to convince them to pay you in BTC.

I also disagree and support @KuJoe here. I’d also add that in case of Crypto, you may quickly find yourself with no bank account when your bank realises you’re cashing in on Crypto through their facilities.

• StevenNStevenN Member, Host Rep

@MikePT said:

I receive my funds every Monday. Cut off day for last payment is the Tuesday before I think.

Fees I pay:

Transaction Rate
    2.4% + $0.30 per transaction
    Monthly Service Fee
    $0.00
    International Sales Fee
    1.5% per transaction

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • ezeeezee Member

To the OP or anyone else interested.

We have been using Stripe for 4 years, and I just had a chat with them. They DO support website hosting businesses and the OP was a manual ban, not an industry-wide ban.

They said as long as your business is risk adverse then web hosting companies have nothing to worry about.

Thanked by 1Sofia_K

@VMbox said:

@MikePT said:

I receive my funds every Monday. Cut off day for last payment is the Tuesday before I think.

Fees I pay:

Transaction Rate
    Monthly Service Fee
    $0.00
    International Sales Fee
    1.5% per transaction

Thank you!

But @Clouvider says its forbidden. Is it or not forbidden?

@ezee said:
    To the OP or anyone else interested.

We have been using Stripe for 4 years, and I just had a chat with them. They DO support website hosting businesses and the OP was a manual ban, not an industry-wide ban.

They said as long as your business is risk adverse then web hosting companies have nothing to worry about.

Thanks! I emailed them and am still waiting for a response.

• Good to hear.

There was a similar issue with 2CO a few years ago whereby people believed they didn't support web hosting companies. I emailed them and got everything set up with them about 18 months ago and have been using them since without any issues.

• ntlxntlx Member
    edited June 2018

@Clouvider said:
    I normally find that if someone has an outright issue with PayPal there’s a reason to worry on thebfraud screening front. PayPal Pro is not visible to the Customer, if you process your end, PayPal is not mentioned on the cc bill either

This gentleman is absolutely correct.

I would recommend looking into Paypal's business offerings. Braintree is simply another one of Paypal's many different products for the small business/online markets. The Braintree API and processing system including their backend dashboard for your sales team is actually quite impressive. I've never had a single issue with them, and I've also been using Paypal's business "paypal here" alternative (in the US, at least) to Square's card readers/point-of-sale credit/debit payment processing machines in our headquarters which is a half-office in the closed backend and a half-open/street facing (for our local clientele) for the small handful of long-term clients who wish to have the simplicity/convenience of paying in person using their business-linked cards. Heck, it even accepts contactless payments and Apple Pay/Samsung Pay all of that good stuff.

We went all in and tricked it out with one of these nifty all-in-one iPad+card terminal/number pad/chip reader/swiper+integrated laser receipt printer, as our point-of-sale terminal. It wasn't even that expensive, especially compared to how costly more localized merchant payment gateway accounts used to be back 10-15 years ago. Obviously not something you need, but yeah, between them and Square (who use the Stripe processing network if I remember correctly, though) there's a lot of good stuff out there.

Of course, you could always go with authorized.net or 2checkout haha or one of the various companies that mostly deal with adult sites if you're worried about getting approved - ccbill, et al. There's a lot of good alternatives out there too, you can use options like companies that accept the use of retail giftcards (which they purchase directly from the consumer, then offer them a paypal-like account with a value attached to it that they can use at your site), it's easily implemented into your cart software. Of course, there's also the many emerging crypto payment methods, including ones like bitpay and some others that accept a ton of different cryptocurrency payments like gourl.io (Who I've had good experience with).

• StevenNStevenN Member, Host Rep

@MikePT said:

@VMbox said:

@MikePT said:

Fees I pay:

Transaction Rate
    Monthly Service Fee
    $0.00
    International Sales Fee
    1.5% per transaction

Thank you!

If Clouvider says it is, it likely is. We might possibly be grandfathered or overlooked as we’ve used them since 2011. We mostly use PayPal direct though these days.

@VMbox said:

@MikePT said:

@VMbox said:

@MikePT said:

Fees I pay:

Transaction Rate
    Monthly Service Fee
    $0.00
    International Sales Fee
    1.5% per transaction

Thank you!

If Clouvider says it is, it likely is. We might possibly be grandfathered or overlooked as we’ve used them since 2011. We mostly use PayPal direct though these days.

I truly hope they changed this because this is frankly a stupid policy, especially that they put it in one bag with truly high risk businesses.

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

I got my 2checkout account validated last year without any issue.

Thanked by 1DewlanceVPS

2Checkout is heavily promoted by WHMCS, hence why I asked if it's really forbidden.

I signed up with Stripe and am running some tests. WHMCS isn't playing nice with it though. Whenever I enter the CC info, it stops loading creditcard.php but the transaction goes through.

@MikePT said:
    2Checkout is heavily promoted by WHMCS, hence why I asked if it's really forbidden.

I signed up with Stripe and am running some tests. WHMCS isn't playing nice with it though. Whenever I enter the CC info, it stops loading creditcard.php but the transaction goes through.

Are you using a custom template? When they originally added Stripe it required some template modifications to work.

edited June 2018

@MikeA said:

@MikePT said:

Are you using a custom template? When they originally added Stripe it required some template modifications to work.

Yep, I am, but it's updated, so it shall work, I assume. I did read what you say and I'll double check the code right now.

Thanks Mike!

Edited: Just checked, yep, it's all there. Order forms are updated. No idea why it stalls on creditcard.php, bills the customer just fine tho.

• ntlxntlx Member

I used 2CO for many years when I owned my hosting company (as well as authorize.net, on our 'alternative' brand) circa 2002-2007 and never had any problems with them whatsoever. The fact that these companies are still around and offering service without issue, speaks to itself. I can't even name 10 companies that I used to deal with regularly, that are still around to this day in the same capacity. For example: we started out as your average dedicated server-renting (monthly) to resell shared hosting plans and quickly we moved up to offering reselling plans, e-commerce specialty plans (this was back in the day when SSL was pain in the ass) and CMS systems as well as shopping cart systems were simply NOT what they are today and within 5-6 months we were an official eNom domain registrar, dedicated servers were being sold through us, as were effectively what wound up being precursors to VPS machines, basically cPanel/WHM running machines managed by us which had dedicated resources and a set number of clients per machine.

At first we started out getting dedicated boxes from rackshack.net aka ev1 internet -- they were a fantastic company out of Texas that seemed to disappear shortly after we outgrew them.

Then we started using ThePlanet which from what I understand was bought-out by softlayer/IBM. Then we used UnitedColo with our own servers, eventually moving to a more (at that time) local datacenter to us in the NYC region, NAC (nac.net) in Northern NJ - which is now "Cologix" - and the specific datacenter we had at our peak a total of over 60 rackmount servers and our own CIDR /22 ipv4 block recognized thru ARIN. Wish I still had that block, heh. But yeah, none of those companies are around anymore, except for RackSpace which is where I wound up going to with a few of my most treasured/important clients many of whom are still with me to this day, and a few of my most powerful personal machines (which are all long since way underpowered). I've had over 99% uptime over the past decade or so with Rackspace, which makes me happy and I have zero doubt in them going anywhere.

Been looking into AWS and stuff like Google Cloud, Azure, etc. but it all seems so complicated, even for someone like me who has (had) heavy experience in the hosting industry.

edited June 2018

I dig into my emails with them, they were implying that shared hosting is a cyber locker/File sharing service because you can upload the data through ftp and download them over the web. They gave us a link to the shared hosting offer on our site and concluded this is against their terms. This was later discussed via twitter and they came back with the same conclusion.

Seems they have no clue what’s what @ 2CO.