Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hostigation Down? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hostigation Down?

Comments

• LongShot said: newly posted "Do Not Cut" signs!

I only wish it was that easy. We are having a new roof put on the building and of 25,000sq ft, he drilled a hole in the 1 sq inch that could cause the damage he did. It's been repaired, the guys are working away at installing the batteries, but I doubt they finish today, and all nodes are up and backup VPS containers are starting.

I really think that roofer should buy a lottery ticket tonight for his luck in not killing himself should give him great odds.

• Normally construction companies use architectural drawings to check before work. Must be different in other countries. ^-^

• Yes. I and my fellow North Carolinians will tell you that that South Carolina is indeed another country.

• I have a backup VPS and I'm waiting now for it to come up. But I don't mind the downtime. I wouldn't have missed this epic adventure for anything :)

Tomorrow is another day....

• LongShotLongShot Member
    edited September 2011

Hostigation web site reports Backup is restored. Mine is up and running with no data loss. All in all, good job!

To put this experience in perspective, NordicVPS is still trying to bill me for the $15/year plan I canceled after suffering through weeks of downtime....

• Yes. I and my fellow North Carolinians will tell you that that South Carolina is indeed another country.

Insert my standard "Do they have paved roads down there?" comment. :D

• drmike said: Insert my standard "Do they have paved roads down there?" comment. :D

Since you walked 30 miles of them to get that laptop, you damn well know they are!

• Kuro said: and the stats are generated by https://github.com/dimecadmium/scrd

Thanks for the plug ;)

drmike said: Interesting read. As I read it, it says that you have to release instead of GPL's if you release, you have to include the source code.

edit: Some of the biggies with open source use the loophole quite often.

Yeah, I use it for anything I release now which is networked (which hasn't been much recently... sigh) - it's a good "fix" in my opinion.

• drmike said: Insert my standard "Do they have paved roads down there?" comment. :D

You walked 30 miles to get a laptop? o_O

• Yup, had little choice. Tried to get a replacement through some of the dot coms that I do some work for but didn't have much luck.

The annoying part about this is right after I picked it up from Tim, one of the local churches that I help out at had 38 of them donated to them. I stood there and begged the pastor for one but they wanted to donate them to "those in need". Guess I wasn't needy enough.

Most of the folks who got them sold them right away for whatever they could get for them. Except for the homeless lady who sits in one of the local library branches that I use. She sits there all day and panhandles in the branch. When she's not, she's on youtube singing along with the country western videos. Rather loudly.

• Another power outage today? Solus and kvm02 are down.

edited September 2011

So are my OVZ2 and Backup servers. Announcements page is up but no news yet:

http://hostigation.com/billing/announcements.php

Switching to impulse engines....

• The datacenter's site is down too.

• Yes, again. OVZ02. Ticket sent!

• @dmmcintyre3. Where is their datacenter? I mean name of Datacenter.

• @zidit: HighSpeedWeb

edited September 2011

Just guessing what's happening in SC:

(1) Primary power lost when long extension cord cut at North Carolina border.

(2) Backup system down when jumper cables to rusting car on cinder blocks came loose.

• @iKocka Thank you

• I'm seeing some responses to my pings so it might be a network related issue.

• Back online! :)

• It looks like it was a connection issue.

• Still offline OVZ02

• @zidit: That's strange because there was no reboot.

edited September 2011

An attack FROM OVZ2:

http://hostigation.com/billing/announcements.php

What did you do, zidit? :^D

• 555 It's not me ;)

• Back!

• Back too!

• LongShot said: An attack FROM OVZ2:

I don't know if I should believe it or not yet, which is why the account is still suspended. I didn't want to jump to any conclusions or decisions in haste, I always regret those the next day. But the user claims he was running a test of the VPS for network speed and such, and this is why I cringe every time an offer is posted for any provider, seems everyone needs to test the same thing that has been tested 500 times already. They are somehow unique, and will get different results?

Anyway, this user was running nc and flooding the link with 800mbits of outbound traffic, so my gut says turn him back on, but I still need to figure out how to whack him with the stupid stick while being polite about it.

• drmikedrmike Member
    edited September 2011

I was going to point out that this is the weekend that they switch over the Wachovia banks to Wells Fargo down in South Carolina but...

edited September 2011

I still need to figure out how to whack him with the stupid stick while being polite about it.

My friend the IT Director used to handle goldbricking employees by secretly throttling to a crawl the bandwidth to the offending site. "Mr. IT Dude, why is YouTube so slow today?"