Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner Cloud very unstable!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner Cloud very unstable!

ZweiTigerZweiTiger Member
edited May 2018 in Providers

Hey guys,

Within the last 2 month hetzner cloud is very unstable for me. For now the server is down. And this is "Cloud" with ceph disk.

My hetzner cloud went offline randomly then i have to start it manually. The support said, dont know whats the problem, once node failure but the server never started on another node which is promised on their website.

This is the third time...

Is this BETA?

https://i.imgur.com/HWoVrIS.png

Comments

• graphicgraphic Member

Could it be that you have some shit running what kills your server and blocks Hetzner services like status etc.?

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Can you power it back on ?

• @Clouvider said:
    Can you power it back on ?

Yes, working now

• ZweiTigerZweiTiger Member
    edited May 2018

@graphic said:
    Could it be that you have some shit running what kills your server and blocks Hetzner services like status etc.?

Seems node failure, as the server restarted automaticly on another node. Strange. I only run an apache webserver on it actually.

• alegeekalegeek Member

I think you've been incredibly unlucky, I run a number of cloud servers with hetzner and they have been very reliable since we deployed them. They are running things a lot more taxing than an apache webserver too.

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • Have used a number of cloud SSD servers at Hetzer in Nu, they all work super fine. Better than a lot of more expensive ones too.

I just wish they came to the UK. That would be one hell of a day!

• Looks like mine got rebooted this morning, it's also apparently lost it's IPv6 address, not sure if I've accidentally firewalled something it needs to get the V6 or they've broken it.

• TomTom Member

My cloud servers with Hetzner have been down twice - once the hypervisor restarted, once was the recent fks network / power outage

• pikepike Veteran

@realbusiness said:
    I just wish they came to the UK. That would be one hell of a day!

Will not happen.

• Vova1234Vova1234 Member, Patron Provider

What your IP range?

I noticed that some networks were hanging during installation.

• @ZweiTiger

I think there was a UPS failiure, but I'm not totally sure.

• ZerpyZerpy Member

I had one of my machines that went down (due to host failure) - now I use the local storage so not ceph related - it did screw up things a bit, but easy to recover :-)

Also, design your own redundancy - regardless of how good a provider is, if it's important, then have proper redundancy in place.

• feezioxiiifeezioxiii Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2018

There was a recent power failure, you guys can take a look here: https://www.hetzner-status.de/

Only servers in DC 7, 10, 12 are affected. The downtime was only 5 mins in my case. (dedicated server)

Other than that, 3 of my cloud servers has been running smoothly in the last 2 months.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

If you think you were affected by the power failure that @feezioxiii mentioned and you are experiencing connectivity issues, please write a support ticket via Cloud Console so that our team can help you.

If you are experiencing other connectivity issues with your Hetzner Cloud servers, please also send us a support request directly via Cloud Console. Perhaps it is something you are running on your server; perhaps it is something else. We can't be sure until you share information with us so that our team can analyze it.

Thanks for your understanding! --Katie, Marketing

Thanked by 2dev_vps jgillich
  • ZweiTigerZweiTiger Member
    edited May 2018

Damn.. i changed provider and moved my important sites from netcup to hetzner, but netcup far more reliable about the uptime.

3 node failure within 2 month.

• rovoxrovox Member

Running multiple server with them, not a single one has failed.

Thanked by 1pike
  • twiigltwiigl Member
    edited May 2018

ZweiTiger said: but netcup far more reliable about the uptime.

netcup is located in a data center park in Nuremberg operated by Hetzner ;)
    So I wouldn't blame Hetzner here, could also happen Nuremberg next time. (Talking about the power outage)

Thanked by 2Wolveix graphic
  • openosopenos Member
    edited May 2018

Hetzner Cloud
    IP:94.13X.XXX

DYYhC.md.png

Thanked by 3Aidan Wolveix graphic
  • 0x650x65 Member

It is not related to the topic but I created a server to test and got an abuse email a couple of week later. It is saying that the IP address is used for DDos and got an notification from German Federal Office because of this. It is probably related with an older client's usage.

Btw, this is my first post. Hello everyone.

• mkshmksh Member

@0x65 said:
    It is not related to the topic but I created a server to test and got an abuse email a couple of week later. It is saying that the IP address is used for DDos and got an notification from German Federal Office because of this. It is probably related with an older client's usage.

Btw, this is my first post. Hello everyone.

Hi there! Take a seat and don't rape the dogs please.

• saibalsaibal Member

0x65 said: It is probably related with an older client's usage.

No.

• @Hetzner_OL I did their answer was to powercycle the VM which to be fair to them did restore IPv6 connectivity, I've gone back and asked if there was any problem they know of this morning.

It's not an important VM so it's not causing me any problems and I've not had chance to go over any logs yet and see if there was anything interesting there.

• williewillie Member

I haven't had any probs with Hetzner cloud servers yet and I've run a dozen or so of them for varying lengths of time, but none for longer than a few days, so who knows.

My dedi was affected by the power outage but came back fine afterwards. I think that the first time in the 3 years I've had it that it unexpectedly crashed (if that's the right word for a power failure).

• FalzoFalzo Member

willie said: I think that the first time in the 3 years I've had it that it unexpectedly crashed (if that's the right word for a power failure).

same here, sadly I had one which needed manual interaction after the power problems so had to wait for the support working through the queue... in the end this resulted in an overall downtime of nearly 32 hours - but still that's the only issue since multiple years and on top of that most other services like VPS or cloud should have been affected much shorter times though...

I doubt it has been 'regular' power problems, afaik there has been a storm along with strong rain/flooding in that area at that date, so maybe this is what caused problems for the power provider which they could not filter/stabilize before it hit the DC so even the UPS setup got fried...

I am confident hetzner will learn from it and try to figure new counter measures against such incidents in the future.

@ZweiTiger probably just got unlucky by being affected as a new customer ;-) hopefully long term without further problems ahead!

• GulfGulf Member

It is ok for me. Just noticed dull network. Moved some servers to @clouvider and overall pings have dropped by 20-25%.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@Gulf said:
    It is ok for me. Just noticed dull network. Moved some servers to @clouvider and overall pings have dropped by 20-25%.

We're very happy it works for you :). This and the next quarter we're adding 2 more transits, TATA and Zayo so you can expect further decreases in latency, especially to APAC.

• neikneik Member

Hi guys,

currently I am on Scaleway but after a couple of problems with it I am getting sick of the unexpected downtime. Besides that, I need more than 2GB RAM and this is where Hetzner/Netcup (price-wise) come into play.

Their 4GB RAM VPS are almost the same price for me (german resident) so that I am wondering which one I should give a try first?

Has anyone had experiences with both and can do a little comparison (stability, downtime and in case you need it: support)?

Thanks!

• feezioxiiifeezioxiii Member, Host Rep

@neik said:
    Hi guys,

currently I am on Scaleway but after a couple of problems with it I am getting sick of the unexpected downtime. Besides that, I need more than 2GB RAM and this is where Hetzner/Netcup (price-wise) come into play.

Their 4GB RAM VPS are almost the same price for me (german resident) so that I am wondering which one I should give a try first?

Has anyone had experiences with both and can do a little comparison (stability, downtime and in case you need it: support)?

Thanks!

Never used netcup before, but I would definitely recommend Hetzner for usages inside EU, uptime has been solid until the last power outage, support was quick (Usually under 1 hr) and their VPS/dedicated servers are great for the price too.

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

@dragon2611 If you are still having any issues, please continue to communicate with our staff via your last ticket.

@willie @Falzo Thanks for the support. The incident was weather related: https://www.hetzner-status.de/en.html --Katie, Marketing

• @Hetzner-OL support confirmed that the node had an issue, the VM powercycle fixed IPv6 so all good there.