Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS? VM? Node? Slice? Droplet? Which term do you prefer? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS? VM? Node? Slice? Droplet? Which term do you prefer?

2»

Comments

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep

@CConner said:
    Don't know why a VPS is "private" when we don't use the term "dedicated private server". Would prefer Virtual Server.

Virtual server/host could be confused with shared hosting?

• williewillie Member

Virtual Private Server was analogous to Virtual Private Network, I thought. But it seems like something of a lowend term. It was/is something that you rent by the month instead of colo'ing a box someplace (at the time I first started seeing VPS, there weren't many dedi hosts and colo was basically what you did).

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

FHR said: VPS – the P does not mean "personal" but "private"

Reading that again I dunno why I thought it meant personal, that just sounds wrong.

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

VM or VPS. The other terms are just too specific to certain providers.

Thanked by 1imok
  • angstromangstrom Moderator

I've always understood "private" (in "VPS") as alluding to the fact any guest server is isolated from other guest servers on the same host system, so you don't/can't know who your neighbors are, and nor do/can they.

• i just call it VM when its KVM vps, and Container when its OpenVZ vps. Node for me kind of larger Bare Metal/Dedicated Server hardware.

• raindog308 said: I prefer passionate replies from those willing to argue why all others are wrong and make lifelong enemies in the process.

Neat.

• imokimok Member

@Radi said:
    VM or VPS. The other terms are just too specific to certain providers.

I agree. Is there anyone calling "droplet" to a w00th05t1n9 server?

• @imok said:
    I agree. Is there anyone calling "droplet" to a w00th05t1n9 server?

i though droplet is for DO thing and slice for BuyVM thing :)

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

I use VPS outside of my day job. I tend to only use VM when referring specifically to VMware to avoid confusion because people in the VMware bubble either refuse to acknowledge or don't realize there are other virtualization options out there. LoL.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

imok said: Is there anyone calling "droplet" to a w00th05t1n9 server?

I think we should piss off DO by referring to all VPSes as "droplets".

• freerangecloudfreerangecloud Member, Patron Provider

In general conversation when referring to virtual infrastructure I refer to VMs. In terms of marketing and when discussing customer boxes I'll refer to them as VPS' as that seems to be the generally accepted 'industry standard' term.

Node will always refer to a hypervisor in my mind.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • defaultdefault Veteran

I prefer the good old fashioned name: VPS. I understand the marketing attempts of providers to define their product as it would be something unique, but this can also get in their way when bringing clients that do not understand what it is.

Coming up next: slices of actual cloud.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • I usually go by VM. Vps when I'm talking to less tech savvy people and cloud when I want the suits to start drooling :)

• emreemre Member, LIR

openvz / lxc = VPS (container) (shared kernel)

KVM /XEN/ VMWARE = VDS ( Full hardware virtualization) (own kernel)

that's what I prefer and use when selling services to my own customers.

• I prefer using the term 'VPS'.

This is the term I believe most people can understand easily without confusion.