Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which VPS Providers have Modern CPU's on their plan - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which VPS Providers have Modern CPU's on their plan

2»

Comments

• teamaccteamacc Member

@inklight said:

willie said: By your own numbers E3-1240 (v1) is 1992 passmark per core. Xeon Gold 6138 is 25416 with 20 cores, or 1278 passmark per core. So if you compare an E3-1240 VPS with a Gold 6138 VPS that has the same number of cores, the E3 will win by a large margin

cpubenchmark.net shows Xeon Gold 6138score ~2090 percore and don't forgot it's clockes lower at 2Ghz compare to 3.3Ghz , and I'm comparing Core VS core since most of VPS profider goes fro budget setup using 4Cores CPU's as start .

Last my tutorial abot Live video streaming and transcoding using ffmpeg as it benefit from any new instruction CPU had .

That's not per-core score. That's with 1 core turbo-ing to 3.7ghz (or higher, depending on how the latest turbo boost thing works)

Thanked by 1willie
  • teamacc said: That's not per-core score. That's with 1 core turbo-ing to 3.7ghz

if this not bug on Passmark Intel gold chip score are disspointing specialley it's clocking on low speed 2Ghz base clock , lowring clock speed under 3Ghz will decress performance of any CPU .

• williewillie Member

The Gold 6138 doesn't lower its speed below 3ghz, its normal speed is below that. It can increase its speed above normal in the specific situation that just a few cores are running so there's no thermal issue. But usually when someone buys a 20 core server they want to use all the cores. So you have to expect the server to run at the base clock speed and not the turbo speed.

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited May 2018

Off topic but that "gold" and "silver" names feel so ... outdated.

AMD isn't that good, either, coming up with dat zombie risen name.

Thanked by 1willie
  • williewillie Member

deank said:

Off topic but that "gold" and "silver" names feel so ... outdated.

They also have platinum. I guess they are still working on the one after that, which is silicon.

• WilliamWilliam Member

@teamacc said:
    By those numbers there's a 20% increase in IPC. Given that the v1 was introduced back in Q2 2011, I say that's VERY low incremental increase.

Keep in mind that at the same 80W v1 is 32nm vs v6 at 14nm(!), it is not architecture IPC gain for most parts.

• vmhausvmhaus Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@inklight said:
    In short I'm writing tutorials about Linux servers on some web forums and one of requirement of my tutorial is having Modern CPU to work with (Intel 3d Gen at least ) .

my current providerquadhost had
    Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1240 v5
    which very impressive .
    So adding others providers name will be very helpful from me to complete my list .

We have a mix of Intel Xeon E3-1270-v6 and AMD Epyc 7281 in our London location.

Thanked by 1inklight
  • vmhaus said: We have a mix of Intel Xeon E3-1270-v6 and AMD Epyc 7281

thanks for traperancy infact I'll add you on top of my list long live Epyc :)

Thanked by 1vmhaus
  • williewillie Member
    edited May 2018

inklight said: long live Epyc :)

I'd like to know if anyone offers the Ryzen 5 2200G or 2400G, either in VPS or dedi. If anyone is wondering, this is a midrange consumer chip with an integrated GPU which is partway between the Intel HD Graphics stuff and a more serious discrete GPU.

• sureiamsureiam Member

I would much rather have a provider list made up of AMD EPYC processors with encrypted virtual memory enabled (AMD EPYC SEV)...

Hell i would pay EXTRA for that feature!

• williewillie Member

Hetzner has Epyc dedis and I've thought of using SEV for something. On a VPS the concept is more dubious, per the SGX thread.

• qtwrkqtwrk Member

@vmhaus said:

@inklight said:
    In short I'm writing tutorials about Linux servers on some web forums and one of requirement of my tutorial is having Modern CPU to work with (Intel 3d Gen at least ) .

my current providerquadhost had
    Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1240 v5
    which very impressive .
    So adding others providers name will be very helpful from me to complete my list .

We have a mix of Intel Xeon E3-1270-v6 and AMD Epyc 7281 in our London location.

Then there goes question, is it possible to choose or ask transfer after oder via ticket?

• sureiamsureiam Member

@willie said:

inklight said: long live Epyc :)

I'd like to know if anyone offers the Ryzen 5 2200G or 2400G, either in VPS or dedi. If anyone is wondering, this is a midrange consumer chip with an integrated GPU which is partway between the Intel HD Graphics stuff and a more serious discrete GPU.

Additionally with Storage MI for some of the best ssd or nvme auto tier storage in the industry

• sureiamsureiam Member

@willie said:
    Hetzner has Epyc dedis and I've thought of using SEV for something. On a VPS the concept is more dubious, per the SGX thread.

Could you link me to the SGX thread please. Think I missed that one.

• williewillie Member

sureiam said:

Could you link me to the SGX thread please. Think I missed that one.

Please use https://www.lowendtalk.com/search?Search=sgx before posting requests like that.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited May 2018

willie said: I'd like to know if anyone offers the Ryzen 5 2200G or 2400G, either in VPS or dedi. If anyone is wondering, this is a midrange consumer chip with an integrated GPU which is partway between the Intel HD Graphics stuff and a more serious discrete GPU.

Keep in mind that this scales with memory speed (unlike Kaby Lake-G with Vega or Intel where iGPU does not even get fast enough for this issue), and JEDEC/Unbuffered DIMMs only go so far compared to non-ECC.

This generally is an issue with Ryzen-as-server, Ryzen-embedded and to some extent also EPYC as the typical server DIMM only is 2400Mhz (or worse, 2133Mhz) while Zen below 3000Mhz is a waste of capability (simple Cinebench CPU test shows the magic).

Running without ECC is an option for Desktop/Embedded (to some extent, some embedded do not allow to set "OC" memory profiles, so the ceiling probably is 3000Mhz) but... yea, i rather not, for many reasons often argued.

• inklightinklight Member
    edited May 2018

willie said: I'd like to know if anyone offers the Ryzen 5 2200G or 2400G, either in VPS or dedi

I don't advice you to do it First Ryzen consume enertgy more then servers chips , + plus you don't take avantage of iGPU(unless you want gaming with it ) as AMD video encoder horrible compare to intel qsv which is perfect .

last AMD servers chips are diffrent from desktop in performance and IPC they are very close to intel top xeon chips and have extra cores , that's why I preffer EPYC , anyway I still think the new xeon chips generations are good speciall v6 and up .

• williewillie Member
    edited May 2018

The 2200G/2400G have the same Vega GPU as the discrete cards except smaller (8 to 12 CU instead of 56 or 64). Yes if I got such a server it would be for the purpose of using the integrated gpu, and I would in fact use it. It would not go to waste.