Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cpanel backup script
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cpanel backup script

Anyone can suggest good and trustworthy script to backup cpanel account files & db to another server?

i know there is cpanel built-in backup and jetbackup, but both backup stored at cpanel hosting's server.

Comments

• AlbaHostAlbaHost Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2018

@MeMyselfandLinux said:
    Anyone can suggest good and trustworthy script to backup cpanel account files & db to another server?

i know there is cpanel built-in backup and jetbackup, but both backup stored at cpanel hosting's server.

WHM cPanel does not store in your server only if you tick the: Retain backups in the default backup directory.
    Otherwise after it transfer to remote/destination server it will delete all backups in your hosting server.

• edited May 2018

this is not working for me, always ended with:

Backup job  started
    Starting cPanel backup
    Backup started, waiting for it to finish
    Backup found, continuing
    Creating temporary FTP account for backup transfer
    Temporary FTP Account created
    FTP login failed

• ZerpyZerpy Member

@MeMyselfandLinux said:

JetBackup can be configured to store on a remote server, the same can the built-in cPanel functionality :-)

• YmpkerYmpker Member

This has worked wonders for me:
    https://whmeasybackup.com

• Try JetBackup...

• Are you end user or root? If root, jetbackup or built-in can be configured for remote location.

If end user, there are plenty of short php scripts you'll find.

• ChalipaChalipa Member

Checkout, Restore Manager by GK-Root.

I have used it before, and it worked just fine.

http://www.gk-root.com/GK-Apps/Restore-Manager/

• jetbackup work well, and offer many remote options

• R1 soft works well, also you can store daily backups in a cost effective way.

• Cpanel internal backup works perfect with FTP/NFS, make sure you are entering correct login creds and remote path.
    https://documentation.cpanel.net/display/68Docs/Backup+for+cPanel

• +1 for https://whmeasybackup.com/

It worked as expected and suits me well, also their ticket support is great.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

It depends id you have root or not.

If you don't, whmeasybackup as @isijosamua and @Ympker mentioned, works...ok. The problem isn't whmeasybackup (and I agree their support has been good), but rather cpanel's API.

In fact, they don't even support backups in the current version of their API! You have to go back and use the deprecated v1 API.

Really, it's cPanel making it hard to backup. whmeasybackup works great within the limitations of what cPanel provides.

Die, cPanel, die.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited May 2018

@raindog308 said:
    It depends id you have root or not.

If you don't, whmeasybackup as @isijosamua and @Ympker mentioned, works...ok. The problem isn't whmeasybackup (and I agree their support has been good), but rather cpanel's API.

In fact, they don't even support backups in the current version of their API! You have to go back and use the deprecated v1 API.

Really, it's cPanel making it hard to backup. whmeasybackup works great within the limitations of what cPanel provides.

Die, cPanel, die.

Interesting to hear :) So what Panel would you want to take the lead instead? Plesk or DA or another one?

• Agreed. Their API isn't the best one.

Have encountered one or two incorrect documentation. They depreciated functions without releasing alternatives.

• i am end user / reseller

btw in some provider, i can find setting for jetbackup in whm reseller

but some dont (both have jetbackup)

• ZerpyZerpy Member

the cPanel backup API isn't deprecated - there's no deprecated warning in the API - it's correct they don't develop on API2 anymore, and if there's an existing function in UAPI, then they prefer that you use that one.

But it surely isn't deprecated :-)

cPanel will move things step by step to UAPI as they rewrite their core - if anyone wants to make that happen faster, go apply for a job at cPanel and see how fast you can rewrite a 20 year+ codebase without major breakage ;)

• @Zerpy said:
    the cPanel backup API isn't deprecated - there's no deprecated warning in the API - it's correct they don't develop on API2 anymore, and if there's an existing function in UAPI, then they prefer that you use that one.

But it surely isn't deprecated :-)

cPanel will move things step by step to UAPI as they rewrite their core - if anyone wants to make that happen faster, go apply for a job at cPanel and see how fast you can rewrite a 20 year+ codebase without major breakage ;)

It's clearly mentioned

• ZerpyZerpy Member

@jetchirag said:
    It's clearly mentioned

Oh, it's in their v1 :( dammit - sorry for my rant then :|

In that case, it's indeed retarded :-D