Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Google One - New plan name and prices for Gdrive - Twice the capacity of Dropbox Pro for $10/month
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Google One - New plan name and prices for Gdrive - Twice the capacity of Dropbox Pro for $10/month

WeblogicsWeblogics Member
edited May 2018 in General

Decent price for 2 TB of storage. Combine with Rclone on a VPS and you will have a decent backup system. Be interesting to see if Google starts clamping down on the Gsuite/drive abuse which has been rumored for a few weeks.

The new Google One pricing plan name change replaces all non-G Suite business Google Drive storage name plans with a wider variety of storage options, some at an improved value.

To be perfectly clear, GDrive isn't going anywhere. All your spreadsheets and synchronized files will still be in the same Google Drive. This is just a new name for the associated storage plans for Google's various products and services (like Photos, Drive, Gmail, etc.), with Dropbox-killing pricing improvements and new storage quantities.

The pricing structure for the new Google One plans is just below:

100 GB - $1.99/mo
200 GB - $2.99/mo
2 TB - $9.99/mo

The old 1 TB plan seems to have been removed entirely, replaced by the 2 TB plan at the same price. All customers outside G Suite business will be migrated to the new Google One price plans, with users of the current 1 TB plan to be upgraded to 2 TB at no extra cost. The new plans are also shareable between family members in some form, though details aren't provided.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/05/14/google-one-cloud-storage-announced-offers-twice-capacity-dropbox-pro-10-month/

Update.

Google is not changing the name of Gdrive, but the name of Google One is the name of the pricing plans only. I have changed some the above wording and subject to reflect this clarification.

See the bottom of this article.
https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/14/17352836/google-one-google-drive-paid-storage-plans-cheaper

Thanked by 1Aidan

Comments

• AidanAidan Member

Another name change.

• teamaccteamacc Member

Last time I tried google drive it duplicated all my files, had to write a python script to dedupe. Went with dropbox, never looked back.

Thanked by 1gestiondbi
  • emptyPDemptyPD Member

Mega is 4.99E /month for 200 GB. and 9.99E /month for 1TB so this looks good.

• Hopefully, this can push the other providers who all agreed on a 1TB cap to move up to 2TB.

• williewillie Member

Wait just to be clear, is this a $5/TB no bullshit storage offer from them? That's great if it is but in some other offers like ACS, there have been conditions about content deduplication, encryption and whatnot. So pardon my skepticism til I hear otherwise.

• AidanAidan Member

Wait just to be clear, is this a $5/TB no bullshit storage offer from them?

Define no bullshit?

The standard google drive limits will probably still apply.

• williewillie Member

Aidan said: Define no bullshit?

If you have to ask whether something is bullshit, it probably is.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Sweet this means Dropbox will probably match and I won't have to go anywhere to get the benefit.

Of course, iCloud was already at 2TB for $10/mo so I guess it's Google playing catchup...

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • GravelyGravely Member

Dropbox is still my preference.... Although i hope they react and double their 1TB plan too

• Dropbox is still my preference... and considering that I use 1/10th of 1 TB like most users... couldn't care less

Thanked by 1Harambe
  • I'm somewhere at the middle point. Want a little more storage on my Dropbox or dedupe ability on my Gdrive account.

Thanked by 1Harambe
  • HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@jiggawattz said:
    Dropbox is still my preference... and considering that I use 1/10th of 1 TB like most users... couldn't care less

If Dropbox launched some plans similar to the $1.99/2.99 Google plans that would be great, but it would probably trash their profit margins with all the people downgrading.

Would love something a bit cheaper though because I use nowhere near 1TB for personal/business files.

• jiggawattjiggawatt Member
    edited May 2018

It's just simply not about the quantity of storage - but rather the quality of product.

By the way - Dropbox isn't profitable. They warned potential investors in the prospectus for their upcoming IPO that they may never be profitable.

• graphicgraphic Member

GSuite 10$ unlimited space. Why should i pay then 9.99$ for 2tb.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

graphic said: GSuite 10$ unlimited space.

You mean $50 per month, a little pricey but still a good deal if you have terabytes of data.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@KuJoe said:

You mean $50 per month, a little pricey but still a good deal if you have terabytes of data.

Well $50 a month if they start caring about the user minimum, but so far you only need a single account to get unlimited on that plan.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@Harambe said:

@KuJoe said:

Well $50 a month if they start caring about the user minimum, but so far you only need a single account to get unlimited on that plan.

My data is too important to take that risk. :)

• @willie said:
    Wait just to be clear, is this a $5/TB no bullshit storage offer from them? That's great if it is but in some other offers like ACS, there have been conditions about content deduplication, encryption and whatnot. So pardon my skepticism til I hear otherwise.

Same here, I hope to hear soon any limitations in the storage for the new pricing scheme, if there's any...

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

until 2019 then they just discontinue the service, grandfather the plans, and half the space... the google way :)

Thanked by 2willie Aidan
  • sibapersibaper Member

only after they release linux client

Thanked by 1Chronic

That’s kinda sad...wildly popular product and they can’t make money.

• This is the wet dream of CEO of google. To name their self-driving car Google Drive

• AidanAidan Member
    edited May 2018

GAAP is shit. They're making a money profit - albeit a minuscule amount

• LeviLevi Member

@Aidan said:

GAAP is shit. They're making money - albeit a minuscule amount

If few billions is minuscule, maybe...

Aidan said: GAAP is shit

Ha ha ha.

No.

GAAP is how adults actually keep score. EBITDA and the rest of that are financial tricks and bullshit. People who ignore GAAP are pretending that companies can borrow money for free, don't have to pay taxes, and have equipment that never wears out.

There's a value to looking at these various EB* metrics to see if the underlying model is sound, but when you form an overall opinion, these things matter. You can't drown a company in debt or stop upgrading gear and expect it to be able to ignore those costs.

I just looked at Dropbox's most recent 10-Q:

• $316m in revenue
    • $378m in R&D. They're spending more on development than gross revenue.
    • R&D, selling, and admin costs total $661m. Hence a net loss from operations of $465m. For one quarter.

These costs (R&D, selling, and admin) quadrupled, tripled, and quadrupled, respectively, while revenue only went up 50%.

"We have a history of net losses, we anticipate increasing expenses in the future, and we may not be able to achieve or maintain profitability. We have incurred net losses on an annual basis since our inception. We incurred net losses of $325.9 million, $210.2 million, and $111.7 million in 2015, 2016, and 2017, respectively, and we had an accumulated deficit of $1,049.7 million as of December 31, 2017."

I love Dropbox but I wouldn't buy their stock at the moment.

At least they're honest...and not trying to go full bore Enron like Tesla.

Thanked by 2Aidan Aidan
  • AidanAidan Member

raindog308 said: GAAP is how adults actually keep score.

GAAP was on track to be replaced a decade ago - it's outdated & open to abuse.

raindog308 said: EBITDA and the rest of that are financial tricks and bullshit.

EBITDA is just another indicator/measurement, but yes, it's mostly BS.

I love Dropbox but I wouldn't buy their stock at the moment.

Now that Salesforce Ventures is involved, I wouldn't touch their stocks with a 10-foot pole.