Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lowend CDN
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Lowend CDN

dnwkdnwk Member

I know someone already post similar topic here before. But I am taking a step into actually building it. Now, I am looking for some LowEnd supplier in following region. 1. Australia/New Zealand 2. Somewhere in Africa 3. Japan or S Korea.
4. East European

I am basically looking at price. As long as price is good and have enough bandwidth, others are not important. I am only running a varnish on it.

Thanks

Comments

• DerekDerek Member

Edis has several locations throughout Europe.
    KGOVPS has location in New Zealand which he is pretty affordable

• dnwkdnwk Member

@Derek said:
    Edis has several locations throughout Europe.
    KGOVPS has location in New Zealand which he is pretty affordable

KGOVPS ? It is my first time heard this name. Is it stable?

• PatrickPatrick Member

@dnwk said:
    KGOVPS ? It is my first time heard this name. Is it stable?

https://kgovps.com/xen-nz

Xen-PV, rock solid.

• dnwkdnwk Member
    edited May 2013

@Zen said:
    Been looking at the same thing, wanna give us some technical details or will it be kept private?

Setup a Varnish on each of those VPS and use Route 53 DNS from Amazon. I am merely play around with the system. Not really selling it. But if anybody interested to jump on board, you are surely welcome.

• dnwkdnwk Member

Yes. That was simple.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

Origin pull based on dns settings?

• dnwkdnwk Member

@prometeus said:
    Origin pull based on dns settings?

Kind of. Amazon is in charge of figure out which ip has lowest ping for that user.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

Kind of. Amazon is in charge of figure out which ip has lowest ping for that user.

Yes, but only comparing to their datacenters

• dnwkdnwk Member

@gbshouse said:
    Yes, but only comparing to their datacenters

I know that.

• dnwkdnwk Member

@Zen said:
    Use Rage4 over 53 - They have more features and it'll probably be easier to implement.

They both easy to implement. But what's Rage4's strong point that Amazon doesn't have?

@dnwk - native IPv6, better GeoDNS, failover support - probably you should ask our users here

• ihatetonyyihatetonyy Member
    edited May 2013

Haven't used Amazon's service, but can throw in lots of praise for Rage4. Really easy to get off the ground with their panel, currently using their GeoDNS solution for my own ghetto CDN and it works beautifully.

Especially like that they've now let you tweak the GeoDNS coords for each A record.

Look at GetKVM in Moldova and VPS6 in Romania for E. Europe, too. VPS6 also has a Turkish location.

• Does varnish cache all of the files? I thought it only cached the most frequently accessed ones.

@ihatetonyy - thanks :)

@dnwk - you can check http://www.vpsnine.com/testfiles.php for New Zealand and Africa

• aglodekaglodek Member

@titanicsaled said: Does varnish cache all of the files? I thought it only cached the most frequently accessed ones.

Varnish will cache anything you set it up to do. They have just had a webinar this week, a real eye opener for me. Never thought about caching something for 1 or 5 seconds only. Incredible stuff you can tweak it to do. If you don't mind the time and effort, that is. Takes a bit of work.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@ihatetonyy said:
    Haven't used Amazon's service, but can throw in lots of praise for Rage4.

+1

• dnwkdnwk Member

@gbshouse said:
    dnwk - native IPv6, better GeoDNS, failover support - probably you should ask our users here

Sure. I will try

• dnwkdnwk Member

@titanicsaled said:
    Does varnish cache all of the files? I thought it only cached the most frequently accessed ones.

It depends on how you configure it.

• dnwkdnwk Member

@andrzej said:
    Varnish will cache anything you set it up to do. They have just had a webinar this week, a real eye opener for me. Never thought about caching something for 1 or 5 seconds only. Incredible stuff you can tweak it to do. If you don't mind the time and effort, that is. Takes a bit of work.

Is the webnar available online?

• aglodekaglodek Member

@dnwk: follow up - just received this email:

" Thank you for attending Varnish Software's webinar, "You can cache everything". We hope you enjoyed our event.
    Due to some problems with the sound during the Q&A session we will be sending you the recording of the webinar in a couple of days time. And we will attempt to answer all your questions again and share them through our blog (https://www.varnish-software.com/blog).
    So stay tuned! "

Anyone interested please PM me & I will distribute said recording to all interested...

• dnwkdnwk Member
    edited May 2013

@gbshouse said:
    ihatetonyy - thanks :)

dnwk - you can check http://www.vpsnine.com/testfiles.php for New Zealand and Africa

By the way, rage4's password policy is too corrosive. And it doesn't make it safe. I am going to skip it for now.

• bcrlsnbcrlsn Member

I'm actually working on something similar right now. Need help or extra servers?

• dnwkdnwk Member

@bcrlsn said:
    I'm actually working on something similar right now. Need help or extra servers?

Ha:) Sure. Is there anything that I can control Varnish using a web interface? Or APIs so that all configure file across my server can by synced?

• bcrlsnbcrlsn Member

you could just rsync the config files.

• You could also modify the startup/restart scripts to pull a configuration file remotely. I do this with nginx.

• thehraythehray Member

any cheap CDN like $10/year .

• @dnwk said:
    Setup a Varnish on each of those VPS and use Route 53 DNS from Amazon. I am merely play around with the system. Not really selling it. But if anybody interested to jump on board, you are surely welcome.

I wouldn't mind jumping in and adding a few vpses to the cdn my self.

By the way, rage4's password policy is too corrosive. And it doesn't make it safe. I am going to skip it for now.

Why do you think it's "too corrosive" and "it doesn't make it safe"?

• dnwkdnwk Member

@gbshouse said:
    Why do you think it's "too corrosive" and "it doesn't make it safe"?

That's takeaway from a security conference. The speaker basic says too strict password policy only force people to make bad choice for their password.