Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which VPS Providers have Modern CPU's on their plan
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which VPS Providers have Modern CPU's on their plan

inklightinklight Member
edited May 2018 in Requests

In short I'm writing tutorials about Linux servers on some web forums and one of requirement of my tutorial is having Modern CPU to work with (Intel 3d Gen at least ) .

my current providerquadhost had
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1240 v5
which very impressive .
So adding others providers name will be very helpful from me to complete my list .

Comments

• I think vultr has nodes on Xeon Gold now

• jiggawattjiggawatt Member
    edited May 2018

subhojitdutta said: I think vultr has nodes on Xeon Gold now

Vultr masks the CPU model, so this is just speculation. And you'd never know what you got.

$ cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep 'model name'
    model name  : Virtual CPU a7769a6388d5

• corbpiecorbpie Member

You would think that if a company hides CPU model they aint rocking something special

• I have Xeon E5 4650v2’s and Xeon E5 2660v4’s in NL but my provider tag is Denied :c

Thanked by 1inklight
  • @jiggawattz said:

Vultr masks the CPU model, so this is just speculation. And you'd never know what you got.

model name    : Virtual CPU a7769a6388d5

Sorry I meant linode
    See more here

• deankdeank Member, Troll

I consider neither v2 nor v4 to be modern CPUs.

• dev_vpsdev_vps Member

@jiggawattz said:

model name    : Virtual CPU a7769a6388d5

Virtual CPU a7769a6388d5 =
    Intel Core Processor (Broadwell) [Family 6 Model 61 Stepping 2]

• @inklight said:

Hi,
    for our MYCore line we use only Xeon 1245v6 or Xeon 1270v6 CPUs with NVMe disks.

http://www.seflow.net/2/index.php/en/services/mycore/mycore-2

• jiggawattjiggawatt Member
    edited May 2018

@dev_vps said:

Virtual CPU a7769a6388d5 =
    Intel Core Processor (Broadwell) [Family 6 Model 61 Stepping 2]

Where is this documented? I thought the a7769a6388d5 string was just some sort of QEMU unique identifier...

• qtwrkqtwrk Member

Netcup generation 8 root server comes with Gold

• dev_vpsdev_vps Member

@jiggawattz said:

@dev_vps said:

> Virtual CPU a7769a6388d5 =
    > Intel Core Processor (Broadwell) [Family 6 Model 61 Stepping 2]
    > 

Where is this documented? I thought the a7769a6388d5 string was just some sort of QEMU unique identifier...

Just run GeekBench for the VPS and the report has all the details. :)

• williewillie Member
    edited May 2018

inklight said: one of requirement of my tutorial is having Modern CPU to work with (Intel 3d Gen at least ) .

Why do you care about that in the slightest? What stuff in your tutorials depends on features that are only in more recent cpus? There are such features of course, like AVX512 or SGX, but it would surprise me if anything in a Linux server tutorial would make any use of them. I can't think of anything anyone does here on LET that doesn't work perfectly well on old servers, though perhaps more slowly than on newer ones. Well GPU stuff might be an exception but that's not about the CPU.

Thanked by 3FHR vimalware CrossBox

Don't underestimate the bragging rights.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • emghemgh Member

@corbpie said:
    You would think that if a company hides CPU model they aint rocking something special

Or they might want to make users not remove and deploy their vm(s) until they get their best CPU.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • wavecomaswavecomas Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2018

we have on lowend vps and xenserver cloudstack cloud e5-2640v4, and vcloud xeon cold 6126 @2.6 ghz. i dont think oldest gen is enough anymore however its ex e5-2680. -Cpu features are playing quite much in these days

• WilliamWilliam Member

You people talk like AVX512 is really used inside VPS and seem to assume a v5 E3 is more near to a Xeon Gold than to a X5650 which is not the case aside of Perf/W.

First one should note that E3 v5 has no AVX512 support at all.

Even a Skylake (eg. E3 v5) CPU is only marginally different to an Ivy Bridge one (E3 v2) with primarily less power consumption by 22/14/etc nm (IPC gain in single digit % gen over gen) and the "added features" over i7 is.. ECC, and that just unbuffered, not reg. 16 PCIe lanes are also useless in enterprise, along the 32-64GB RAM limiy.

E5 is different arch than desktop trash - mostly - but v4 vs. Skylake-X is not worlds apart, the differences inside Scalable (i.e. 1 or 2 AVX512 units per core) are if you NEED them far more important IMO.

Thanked by 2vimalware feezioxiii
  • corbpiecorbpie Member

@emgh said:

@corbpie said:

Or they might want to make users not remove and deploy their vm(s) until they get their best CPU.

Why? Easy money. As soon as you deploy you pay for the first hour

• williewillie Member
    edited May 2018

Don't know about E3v5 but the current Hetzner cloud vps do have avx512. I haven't used it for anything though.

Since we're talking about VPS though (and in the LET context), an E3v2 or probably even an E3v1 will be much faster (single core) than the latest most expensive Xeon Gold or Platinum, the difference being that the E3 has 4 cores while the Xeon has 20+. So there's no point preferring a Xeon Gold VPS to an E3 VPS on general speed comparisons. The Xeon Gold is only better if it has a new feature that you want, or you want a many-core config outside of LET price levels.

E3 is the same arch as i7 of same generation, but it supports ECC, stupid Intel product differentiation. Ryzen doesn't perpetuate that silliness.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @deank said:
    I consider neither v2 nor v4 to be modern CPUs.

Pretty modern for the price i was trying to offer.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited May 2018

the entire scalable lineup has nothing with high single core clock anyway, it's not the target market - the Ghz race is still there but the 'enterprise' users are switching to enduser/gaming hardware and overclocking, outliers as the X5698 are nowadays limited to special E5 AWS wafers (W suffixed, some with, some without ark entry, but retail sspec) and nothing on scalable.

We'll see how EPYC adoption % are until Zen2 release, by then we should have higher server availability on medium sized clouds and the per core Ghz will be higher than Xeon.

• willie said: Why do you care about that in the slightest? What stuff in your tutorials depends on features that are only in more recent cpus? There are such features of course, like AVX512 or SGX, but it would surprise me if anything in a Linux server tutorial would make any use of them.

Well their is big diffrent between Intel First Generation Core i and the lather one specialley in term of IPC specialley if you devide it on VPS nodes , the app I use on that tutorial will stop if it lake sngle instraction delay , BTW when I say core i 3rd generation that means Xeon 2nd Generation which will be fair enough for the providers

the deffirent may look little but I don't want CPU be the bottleneck of my app process , let me warry about other things like Network and IO etc .

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran

inklight said: Well their is big diffrent between Intel First Generation Core i and the lather one specialley in term of IPC specialley if you devide it on VPS nodes

The difference is even greater when you looking at HTTPS and openssl related performance especially if you plan on using HTTPS based sites with either RSA 2048bit or ECDSA 256bit ssl certificates. It's a HTTPS world these days !

For folks with both v1, v2, v3, v5 or v6 Xeon E3s can check out their own respective numbers

openssl speed -multi $(nproc) rsa2048 ecdsap256

• williewillie Member

inklight said: I don't want CPU be the bottleneck of my app process ,

By your own numbers E3-1240 (v1) is 1992 passmark per core. Xeon Gold 6138 is 25416 with 20 cores, or 1278 passmark per core. So if you compare an E3-1240 VPS with a Gold 6138 VPS that has the same number of cores, the E3 will win by a large margin.

I do find though that there are some big Xeon Gold cpus with high clock rates, so it does depend on model. I didn't know they had such high-clocked cpus with lots of cores.

Anyway what does your app process have to do with writing a tutorial? A tutorial is about how to do something.

• teamaccteamacc Member

@inklight said:

willie said: Why do you care about that in the slightest? What stuff in your tutorials depends on features that are only in more recent cpus? There are such features of course, like AVX512 or SGX, but it would surprise me if anything in a Linux server tutorial would make any use of them.

Well their is big diffrent between Intel First Generation Core i and the lather one specialley in term of IPC specialley if you devide it on VPS nodes , the app I use on that tutorial will stop if it lake sngle instraction delay , BTW when I say core i 3rd generation that means Xeon 2nd Generation which will be fair enough for the providers

the deffirent may look little but I don't want CPU be the bottleneck of my app process , let me warry about other things like Network and IO etc .

By those numbers there's a 20% increase in IPC. Given that the v1 was introduced back in Q2 2011, I say that's VERY low incremental increase.

• williewillie Member

Also, 1240v2 (Q2 2012) is 9172 passmark so almost all the ipc change happened at the v2 generation.

edited May 2018

Intel has been lacking visions for a decade which allowed AMD to catch up finally. The thing is that Intel is still lacking visions.

I don't see the need to upgrade my dual E5-2683v3 any time soon.

Thanked by 1Shazan
  • teamaccteamacc Member

@deank said:
    Intel has been lacking visions for a decade which allowed AMD to catch up finally. The thing is that Intel is still lacking visions.

I don't see the need to upgrade my dual E5-2683v3 any time soon.

Judging by the passmark scores of v2 vs v6, there's a 2% IPC increase. Those cpus have been released 5 years apart.

edited May 2018

IPC increase is pitiful, but some models have been getting more cores. I think they got like 2 more cores on some models.

2683v3: 14c/28t

2683v4: 16c/32t & 0.1ghz faster (lol)

This is the definition of being lazy & lacking visions.

• inklightinklight Member
    edited May 2018

willie said: By your own numbers E3-1240 (v1) is 1992 passmark per core. Xeon Gold 6138 is 25416 with 20 cores, or 1278 passmark per core. So if you compare an E3-1240 VPS with a Gold 6138 VPS that has the same number of cores, the E3 will win by a large margin

cpubenchmark.net shows Xeon Gold 6138score ~2090 percore and don't forgot it's clockes lower at 2Ghz compare to 3.3Ghz , and I'm comparing Core VS core since most of VPS profider goes fro budget setup using 4Cores CPU's as start .

Last my tutorial abot Live video streaming and transcoding using ffmpeg as it benefit from any new instruction CPU had .