Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BGP/Routing Experts
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BGP/Routing Experts

HashTagHashTag Member

I'm setting up my BGP on my router today or tomorrow are there any routing experts in here that might be able to help me out trying to get redundancy from my providers before I put my server at data center so setting up cabinet.

Comments

• ElliotJElliotJ Member

Whilst I personally can't offer any help, you might get a few pointers on the #bgp-community channel of our Discord - Link is in my signature

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Give us more info - what hardware/software are you using. What network setup are you looking to achieve, what connections do you have, etc.

And of course - what is your actual question?

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

Perhaps post your question here?

Outside of community assistance provided on public resources (forum, discord, redit etc) what are you expecting here? If you are looking for experts perhaps hire a contractor? If you want someone to set up your sessions etc, you probably need to hire someone.

P.S perhaps checkout DN42 if you want to learn BGP. It's a sandbox to learn BGP.

• I heard BGP?

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

Need more info for anyone to help. Different people will have different knowledge. Some people will know Cisco but not JunOS, and some the other way around. And some will know both. And some will know SW based routers, vyatta/vyos/ubnt, routeros/mikrotik etc.

What are you using?

How many upstreams do you have?

How many routers will you use?

VRRP?

Details!

• WilliamWilliam Member

From the post that is just two ISPs anyway, set up sessions, take best path routing (default anyway), set your ASN/IPs (which you hopefully have already, else this is fairly absurd), gateways, done.

The complexity is VLANs behind the BGP really until you get to IXs and cost based things. There is not much more to full tables than cold failover aside of some RAM on the router.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • HashTagHashTag Member

Well the router I have is the https://www.amazon.com/Mikrotik-RouterBoard-CCR1036-12G-4S-Performance-Twelve-10/dp/B00B1ZJ2VG/ref=sr_1_27?ie=UTF8&qid=1526092621&sr=8-27&keywords=mikrotik+router

Which I plan to use as core then I have a cisco 3048 as distribution layer switching. My ISP already have my bgp ready to go on there end they told me I just need to get it done on my end.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Mikrotik and Core in one sentence doesn’t fit.

• KrisKris Member

If you're smart enough to configure such I've seen a group of them do quite well across multiple deployments.

If you host skiddies and LET kids, and praise names above all else - maybe not.

• WilliamWilliam Member

They generally are not a sound idea especially PP/S wise and do not scale above 10G (or...
    at all...). If you do only static BGP it works better, but is useless in the first place over a switch.

I'm still firm on the point that this 800€ are better invested in 2 servers and 2-4 10G/40G nics, then run either BSD or Linux.

Thanked by 3Clouvider HashTag Basil
  • HashTagHashTag Member

@William said:
    They generally are not a sound idea especially PP/S wise and do not scale above 10G (or...
    at all...). If you do only static BGP it works better, but is useless in the first place over a switch.

I'm still firm on the point that this 800€ are better invested in 2 servers and 2-4 10G/40G nics, then run either BSD or Linux.

Thanks for this.

• wavecomaswavecomas Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2018

i wold use cisco 6504-e with redundant supervisor 720 3bxl and 2x 4port 3bxl10gig linecard. its able to receive multiple bgp table ipv4 nd ipv6. Its really cheap but taking more power then microtik. I have used mikrotik decades and what i know its not really reliable for edge router. and it dont have asic chip for each fucntion like cisco. So it mean it will use mainpoard cpu for most features. And it have redundant supervisors. So almost no option for downtime

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited May 2018

yea, they are based on a high core chip - Mikrotik advantage, in theory, is the 32GB RAM limit with "unlimited" tables (some very enterprise routers will also do 16GB+, but is rarely needed)

A 6500 is ok, but they really eat power - you also desperately need a mem upgrade on the 3bxl to really use it as core (but the dimms are cheap, no reason to buy cisco official). They do certain v6 things (and few other iirc) in software/CPU and have limited netflow ability in certain configs.

Force10 is cheap, Brocade/Juniper work but cost a lot new (and i don't mean dumb list prices no one pays, even at -45% it's bad).

Huawei/ZTE work great IF you have some trust in the Chinese on multiple levels.

• wavecomaswavecomas Member, Host Rep

3bxl supervisor and linecards have allready 1gig in dfc and supervisor have also . i dont know option how to upgrade... 3b is 256gb model..

• techhelper1techhelper1 Member
    edited May 2018

@wavecomas A 6500 is not suitable to take on full tables anymore. The XL series DFC's can handle up to 1M IPv4 OR up to 500K IPv6, and that is after you manually adjust the TCAM profile and reload the switch.

Right now I am seeing a Juniper router with 725916 IPv4 routes and 55874 IPv6 routes (equivalent to 74313 IPv4 routes in TCAM space), making the total just over 800k routes installed into the line cards (FIB) and system RAM (RIB - which is also shared with IOS) for just one single copy.

The goal for a router is to be able to make quick routing decisions between multiple carriers and even the local network itself (meaning multiple copies of the full table), without having to consult the control plane. otherwise you will be software switching (very bad because all performance is lost, especially for a 600Mhz host CPU in the SUP720).

The control plane's job is to update the line card ASIC's and internal databases as needed, based upon upstream changes. It's the admin's job to protect the control plane from attacks and prevent normal usage from hitting the control planes CPU.

• For a small 1U router, I would recommend the Juniper MX204 router, just by the shear hardware capabilities, and the JunOS CLI configuration.

Every time I see Ubiquiti/VyOS and Mikrotik devices or anything else using the Intel x86 or Octeon chips, I honestly just die inside, due to the performance issues and quirks of each platform compared to a purpose built product.

@techhelper1 said:
    For a small 1U router, I would recommend the Juniper MX204 router, just by the shear hardware capabilities, and the JunOS CLI configuration.

Every time I see Ubiquiti/VyOS and Mikrotik devices or anything else using the Intel x86 or Octeon chips, I honestly just die inside, due to the performance issues and quirks of each platform compared to a purpose built product.

+1 here.

edited May 2018

techhelper1 said: Every time I see Ubiquiti/VyOS and Mikrotik devices or anything else using the Intel x86 or Octeon chips, I honestly just die inside, due to the performance issues and quirks of each platform compared to a purpose built product.

UBNT / Mikrotik I agree. They claimed PPS is no where near realistic in my experience. But if you're dealing with less than 10G, VyOS on some decent hardware (and more importantly, decent NICs), you can get some pretty decent performance. On multiple Gbit NICs, the networks will get congested before the CPU starts to suffer, so it can handle small DDoS too.

I'm just not sure how well it will hold up with 10G connections. Especially multiple 10G connections. But certainly 1G can be handled quite easily. But a decent VyOS router would cost more than a UBNT/Mikrtotik version. The NICs alone can be $200 or so.

I've just replaced some old UBNT routers with a DIY VyoS router on an old i3 CPU, but using some decent Intel NICs. It's handling 2 full BGP feeds, and routing over 800Mbit average with less than 1% CPU utilization. AND I have both SNMP and NetFlow running. It's all in the NIC ;)

• HashTagHashTag Member

@techhelper1 said:
    For a small 1U router, I would recommend the Juniper MX204 router, just by the shear hardware capabilities, and the JunOS CLI configuration.

Where can I pick one of those up from, cant find any on ebay.

• For 1U might also want to take a look at the Brocade CER2000. It's already out for a while, but it can carry around 1.5mil routes in the FIB which should suffice even for the next few years (hopefully) and there's models with 24x SFP+ Ports.

• That's probably a way cheaper option than a MX204.
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

Guys, you are aware that OP is crying in a corner, right?

• @randvegeta said:
    I'm just not sure how well it will hold up with 10G connections. Especially multiple 10G connections. But certainly 1G can be handled quite easily. But a decent VyOS router would cost more than a UBNT/Mikrtotik version. The NICs alone can be $200 or so.

I've just replaced some old UBNT routers with a DIY VyoS router on an old i3 CPU, but using some decent Intel NICs. It's handling 2 full BGP feeds, and routing over 800Mbit average with less than 1% CPU utilization. AND I have both SNMP and NetFlow running. It's all in the NIC ;)

Running a router with an x86 processor is fine, you just need to have the number of PCI-E lanes available to handle the bandwidth, and enough CPU to handle 10Mpps+ based on DDoS attacks.

If you really want something that will handle 9Mpps+, look at: https://bsdrp.net/documentation/technical_docs/performance

@techhelper1 said:

@randvegeta said:

Running a router with an x86 processor is fine, you just need to have the number of PCI-E lanes available to handle the bandwidth, and enough CPU to handle 10Mpps+ based on DDoS attacks.

If you really want something that will handle 9Mpps+, look at: https://bsdrp.net/documentation/technical_docs/performance

Indeed. But if you're only doing 1G lines, I think most modern X86 CPUs can handle it fine.

@florianb said:
    For 1U might also want to take a look at the Brocade CER2000. It's already out for a while, but it can carry around 1.5mil routes in the FIB which should suffice even for the next few years (hopefully) and there's models with 24x SFP+ Ports.

• That's probably a way cheaper option than a MX204.

Yeah, takes years to reconverge because of a very poor CPU in the RE so I wouldn’t touch it even if cheaper.

With the growth of the tables these days investing in something limited to 1.5M is frankly reckless as well.

Thanked by 1techhelper1