Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best place to host MySQL databases?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best place to host MySQL databases?

BlazeMuisBlazeMuis Member

Hi,

For my Minecraft server host i also would like to offer MySQL Databases for the plugins who need a MySQL Database
Now my question: which place/host is the best i can use which has great ping/latency between USA and EU?
Also needs high uptime :)

No yearly offers and such, just monthly

I was thinking about Digitalocean because of the SSD space, what you think?

Comments

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

If you have a dedi get a SSD Drive, if you want a SSD VPS, the SSD's from Iniz are 1.3GB/s and perform nicely.

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited May 2013

A SSD VPS is probably best option if you want to offload within EU since there is rarely any places offering offloaded SQL within EU except places like Rackspace

But if it's a small DB or doesn't have many tables you can probably just get a standard VPS

• PcJamesyPcJamesy Member
    edited May 2013

Best option would really be on the same machine aka localhost. Same data centre would also be good. If that isn't possible you also could try out some of the providers test ip's and see who has the best ping from the minecraft server.

• Why would you want to host it externally? The MySQL databases aren't going to be big enough to warrant extra latency.

• aglodekaglodek Member

@joodle said: I was thinking about Digitalocean because of the SSD space, what you think?

For high performance MySQL, first thing you want to think about is RAM. Ideally, everything running inside RAM cache. SSD is a distant second to RAM.

Best place to host? First: KVM or Xen is better than OpenVZ.

Second: look for offers with lots of RAM, so offhand, I suggest you consider CONTABO with their monster, 4GB RAM to 16GB RAM KVM plans. Pretty competitive pricing, too. They are in Munich, Germany with <100ms latency to Buffalo, for example. But this may be overkill, depending on your MySQL load. And CONTABO is not flexible should you want to start smaller, with, say, 1GB-2GB RAM. INCEPTION HOSTING has a nice special on Xen in Miami (<120ms to Europe). BLUEVM has nice "Birthday" special on KVM's (Buffalo & LA). Both providers are very flexible, ask for a custom offer to meet your needs.

• A common SQL database used for minecraft will average between 1-5gb with about 500 writes per second I believe. Correct me if im wrong.

People like using loggers in the game to log every block place, break, all water movement, all player movement, interactions and pretty much everything.

Make sure you take that into account when thinking about having the server in another datacenter.

• zserozsero Member
    edited May 2013

Prometeus (EU) offers a hard-core MySQL offloading dedi box for a crazy price:

CPU: Xeon X5450 RAM: 16GB DISKS: 4 x 256GB SSD RAID: Hardware Raid10
    Bandwidth: unlimited
    SSD storage: 2GB
    Price: €10 / year

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/6072/prometeus-now-offers-ssd-based-mysql-offload

• I run my server's MySQL database for CoreProtect on the same server I have the MC server on. It runs fine.

• taronyutaronyu Member

He doesnt want to use a single DB but multiple.

• awsonawson Member
    edited May 2013

Google (free until June)

Amazon (free tier is always free)

• BlazeMuisBlazeMuis Member
    edited May 2013

I need the MySQL to be remote because multicraft (master) only allows 1 mysql server to be added and used, these Databases are being used for plugins which need them

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited May 2013

Same data centre would also be good

Same data center is almost essential if you're running a separate database server and performance is important. A data center that allows you to set up a VLAN between your servers is ideal.

For high performance MySQL, first thing you want to think about is RAM and Memcache. Ideally, everything running inside RAM cache. SSD is a distant second to RAM.

you mean like this (my database server) :P

free -m

total used free shared buffers cached

Mem: 24158 23720 437 0 523 19662

-/+ buffers/cache: 3534 20624