Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any actual experience with 1and1 Cloud offers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any actual experience with 1and1 Cloud offers?

niconico Member

For a project I need a Spain or near Spain location (except IT/FR) and found the 1and1 offers, seems very well priced.
4vcores/8gb/160gb goes for $50 with unlimited bw on vmware.

Has anyone actual experience with their Cloud offer? And 1and1 self (I found many bad reviews for them)?

Comments

• emghemgh Member

Don't use 1and1. This might work, haven't tried the offer nor the provider.

• niconico Member

@emgh Any reason why not 1and1, really that much bad? Whenever I hear edis I think this is the place for all kind of shady business, some years ago their Swiss location IP Range was a must block range.

• emghemgh Member

@nico said:
    @emgh Any reason why not 1and1, really that much bad? Whenever I hear edis I think this is the place for all kind of shady business, some years ago their Swiss location IP Range was a must block range.

I've heard about countless of card charges where they really had no reason to continue charging, I've heard tons about bad performance. And as always, with those bigger hosts, it sure as hell won't be a system administrator trying to help you when you face issues.

• Only go with them if you have to, if you've found another offer by a known company I'd take that instead. 1&1 are shady, and the support is abysmal even if it's a good product you wouldn't want to deal with them or support them due to their dodgy business practices.

On the other hand, I trust edis 100% more than 1&1 they've been around for quite a long time.

• niconico Member

@emgh This can be the problem, they have tons of users that need much support and a well support with this prices is not possible. I only need stable working environment, the server I manage self.

• emghemgh Member

Well I guess that's relative. I normally require support when I order VMs and such, it can be ISO issues, weird routing or slow network. It's really not like everyone makes you believe, users with experience can be an even bigger pain in the ass. However, the hosts here are used to that, and you won't see a host popular around here without knowledable support (apart from the Virmach chat.. that's a hell). With 1and1, they'll hire support to answer questions like "How do I upload my files?" and so on.

• niconico Member

@emgh I hope a hoster in this size, has the right staff on site to manage the Routing and Networking self. The only point that scared me are the reviews of user complaint they blocked without any reason their accounts/servers if this is really true idk.
    I will order one Cloud Instance, do some benchmarks and monitor it for next weeks to see how it works, seems the best way to find it out.

@FennecFox The downside of edis is that they don't offer SSD in Spain, we have low bandwidth usage but need iops for various operations.

• emghemgh Member

It’s not about that, it’s about the fact that it’s simply hopeless to chat to someone about your server when they don’t have the knowledge, or don’t simply care. For example, Virmach’s Looking glass is down in Dallas. I reported it to them on their live chat, and they told me to submit a ticket. Since I didn’t it’s still down to this day, they simply don’t give a fuck, and that gets frustrsting after awhile.

• LeeLee Veteran

For Spain, go with https://ginernet.com/en/servers/vps/openvz/ssd/ never ever go near 1&1, if you do then don't come here complaining afterwards.

Thanked by 2jmginer coreflux
  • I only used one of their service which is domain registration service. In my opinion, if there's any worst customer service award, they deserve it. All of their customer service use similar response within each others. They also seems didn't even care to read my previous messages, so with each customer service staff I have to explain my issue again and again.

My issue was they charged me for service I didn't even ask for. Did a few Google search and I figured out that I'm not the only one. Heck, you even found many bad reviews yourself.

That was probably just my bad luck. It's up to you whether you decide to try them out or trust those bad reviews.

• I’ve never understood why people come here for opinions and literally everyone who responds doesn’t recommend but OP still goes with it anyway. If that’s the case why even open a thread?

Thanked by 2Lee coreflux
  • niconico Member
    edited May 2018

@caniac22 I have looking for actual opinions of actual real customers of their cloud offer. I'm aware of the upsales on their website, that must be actively excluded (don't know if they will charge even then for it) and seems there customer care is really bad, still not one who actually has first hand experience with the cloud offer.
    And this is the reason I will test them, mostly will do the same with another provider before I deploy any.

• hzrhzr Member

@nico I use their cloud but not in Spain location

• The free trial credit expires in 1 month, no matter what, even if you used $10 of it
    • You will be called daily starting the next business day by annoying salespeople
    • No, they will not stop calling even if you ask, or if you block their number I had someone from a different country call to upsell instead
    • If you block their sales upsell phone number with "no longer in service" message, they will suspend your account saying invalid contact info
    • No, there is no support on root
    • If you pick the managed option, you end up basically treating it like shared hosting with ssh
    • Disk io is not nearly as fast as other providers (especially hetzner, vmhaus), it is network storage afaik
    • No vcenter/etc access last I saw
    • IPv4 is $5+/month each
    • Do not host a high bandwidth site downloads, mirrors, etc. You will be ratelimited
    • Cancellation must be done very early in advance
    Thanked by 2nico coreflux
  • LeeLee Veteran

nico said: I have looking for actual opinions of actual real customers of their cloud offer.

Ok, but

nico said: I found many bad reviews for them

Sounds like opinions of actual real customers.

You are not interested in opinions against 1&1 you just want people to tell you it's ok and you should buy. Well go ahead, buy it, you will be great together, not that you will ever speak to anyone in 1&1 other than sales.

You made your decision before this thread was opened so get on with it. But as I said before, don't come back telling us all about the mistake you made, we already know.

Thanked by 2Shazan mksh
  • niconico Member

@hzr Thank you for your input, I will test them (if they approve my order) together with two other providers for next 2 months and then decide on the best place or in case of low latency between two of them deploy it on two locations.

• niconico Member
    edited May 2018

@Lee I did not found any review regarding the Cloud offer. I found thousands of peoply cry on things like domain not working, upsales they not want, give them fault that wordpress websites not working and and and... I seems the customer care must be bad or non-existent, but if the Cloud service works flawless why not give a try.
    No, I'm not going to cry here if the service sucks. I only hoped to got some first hand experience regarding the Cloud offer as hzr who provided it.

• RodneyRodney Member

I used their "free trial" offer in january and used up most of the credit, then cancelled a short time later. They apparently had some "system error" and now have sent me a bill for over 90€ without applying the credit, even though their earlier email stated they will still honor it.

So no, I wouldn't recommend them.

• hzrhzr Member

nico said: I found thousands of peoply cry on things like domain not working, upsales they not want, give them fault that wordpress websites not working and and and... I seems the customer care must be bad or non-existent, but if the Cloud service works flawless why not give a try

Here's the thing: domains are "set and forget", websites and cloud server need constant upkeep. Your performance and uptime is specifically tied to their responsiveness. You need customer care. At least you can host a domain elsewhere, but if your files are at risk, then...

• @hzr said:

nico said: I found thousands of peoply cry on things like domain not working, upsales they not want, give them fault that wordpress websites not working and and and... I seems the customer care must be bad or non-existent, but if the Cloud service works flawless why not give a try

Here's the thing: domains are "set and forget", websites and cloud server need constant upkeep. Your performance and uptime is specifically tied to their responsiveness. You need customer care. At least you can host a domain elsewhere, but if your files are at risk, then...

Agree. When they couldn't even provide their customer with sufficient care for domain, I won't go further with them with more demanding service.

• They outsource their support and these reps are trained on very basic tasks not relating to performance or up time. Good luck but don't come crying when things don't work out because literally everyone here has told you not to go with 1and1

• AuroraZAuroraZ Barred

What is with all the 1&1 questions lately? I am beginning something might be happening here. I mean come on how many people do we have to tell the same thing?

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited May 2018

Ohh and whoever noted that they call and try to upsell you, the other thing they do, if you don't pay attention, is share your contact information (read phone number) with all of their associated 'companies' (phone scam operations) and whether or not you have services, after signing up you will get to learn the fun that is random Indian / Overseas call centers spamming your phone 5-6 times a day with 'Microsoft Support' and other such calls. However, I have always figured anyone dumb enough to purchase services with them in the past 5 years, since this has been known, probably deserves it. There is something to be said for intelligence of the type of customer that chooses to use 1&1 (and they aren't good things, either).

I would almost say good luck, but well, we already all know he's doomed to failure.

Instead I will say:

Enjoy!

Cheers!

• niconico Member

I wish to give some update on this after I have activated some Cloud servers with them.

Phone calls upsell and such:
    As I have provided my Real Biz number I had think I would got bombed with some calls after this much bad feedback... but not one call received.

Data sharing:
    I don't seen any shared contact information.

Server:
    Really happy with performance/price ratio.
    The used CPU is E5-2683 v3 @2Ghz does well, same as the disk with 640 MiB/s seq write speed.

Payment:
    Until now nothing, the USD 100 start credit is no Joke. But this is anyway not a Issue even they charge me later for all the time, as I did not ordered the Server because of this.

The only thing I had was after Signup, that I had must call them to got the account activated, but this spend 5 minute is ok.

So far it seems that the service works for me.

• Years ago, I had a website hosted with them. Never had any problems with them spamming me or anything like that, but again, back then I was just hosting a website through them, not using their server services.