Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH Hillsboro, Oregon (US West) DC release - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH Hillsboro, Oregon (US West) DC release

Comments

• CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep

@FHR said:

@CConner said:

FHR said: $600 for unmetered bandwidth (granted, it's 1Gbps vs 500Mbps)

OVH only offers 250 Mbit/s on their models in the US.

You're only looking at hardware generation. The performance difference between and a 1270v3 and v6 is minimal. You're factoring out that OVH support is too put it nicely, shit. Both of these providers answer my ticket in less than 12 hours and actually solve the issue as well. Solving issues at OVH takes, most of the time, a month if not at all.

OVH US is a totally separate company with different CEO and different people though. I can't compare as I've not used them yet.

OVH UK has a separate board as well and their support and network are poor to say the least.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@FHR said:
    You are all talking about cheaper options in the same area. My question is, who is the cheaper option with comparable specs?

There are none, just no one likes the pricing compared to other OVH DCs. I don't know anyone offering something comparable with new gear, unmetered bandwidth, etc on the west coast.

The main reason I'm holding off right now is because I don't think it's enough of a discount to be a guinea pig in their new DC. Would rather wait for them to iron out any network kinks and up their west coast peering before dropping $100/mo.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2018

Regardless of pricing, bandwidth, etc., until routing is fixed just like all of the other new locations it isn't appealing. Psychz LA for example has 100ms+ lower latency to Asia last I checked.

• @MikeA said:
    Regardless of pricing, bandwidth, etc., until routing is fixed just like all of the other new locations it isn't appealing. Psychz LA for example has 100ms+ lower latency to Asia last I checked.

Agreed, got a test IP from them and can confirm it's awful. 147.135.33.77 if anybody wants to test themselves.

• sinsin Member

@OPNodes said:

@MikeA said:

Agreed, got a test IP from them and can confirm it's awful. 147.135.33.77 if anybody wants to test themselves.

You're right lol, I'm getting a 109ms ping avg from Virginia.

• ShazanShazan Member, Host Rep

From Italy:

5 packets transmitted, 5 received, 0% packet loss, time 4217ms

rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 212.136/212.774/213.268/0.492 ms

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

From Czechia:

• To the provided IP: 193ms, 19 hops. Routed via OVH network, goes through BHS.
    • To QuadraNet LA: 164ms, 16 hops. Routed via Telia.
  • KrisKris Member

94.8ms from NJ.

Routed from Newark -> BHS -> Chicago -> Palo Alto (Silicon Valley) -> PDX1 (Oregon)

8. be100-104.nwk-1-a9.nj.us                                                                                                                                                          0.0%   138    3.9   4.1   3.7   5.2   0.1
     9. be100-1319.bhs-g1-nc5.qc.ca                                                                                                                                                       0.7%   138   15.4  22.8  11.2 189.2  33.2
    10. be100-1320.chi-1-a9.il.us                                                                                                                                                         0.0%   138   27.1  27.2  26.7  32.9   0.5
    11. be100-1370.pao-sv8-bb1-a9.ca.us                                                                                                                                                   0.0%   138   79.7  79.6  79.2  80.3   0.0
    12. pdx1-hil1-g2-nc5.ca.us                                                                                                                                                            0.0%   138   94.3  94.5  94.0 100.6   0.6

Think I'll stick with BHS for the foreseeable future.

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@Kris said:
    94.8ms from NJ.

Think I'll stick with BHS for the foreseeable future.

Why would you be comparing BHS to Oregon if you're in NJ anyway? OR is 2000+ miles further than BHS.

• KrisKris Member

MasonR said: Why would you be comparing BHS to Oregon if you're in NJ anyway?

Yes, yes it is.

I get latency of less than 80ms to AWS Oregon.

Look at the MTR. The extra stop in BHS to get to Chicago & Palo Alto to get to Oregon adds some time. Similiar to Comcast's backbone where they keep it on their network as much as possible to avoid transit costs.

• @Kris said:

MasonR said: Why would you be comparing BHS to Oregon if you're in NJ anyway?

Yes, yes it is.

I get latency of less than 80ms to AWS Oregon.

Look at the MTR. The extra stop in BHS to get to Chicago & Palo Alto to get to Oregon adds some time. Similiar to Comcast's backbone where they keep it on their network as much as possible to avoid transit costs.

Not ALL traffic is routed through BHS, however. You’d only be looking at Oregon location if you’re serving west coast/Asia.

• @hzr said:
    Great price, this is incredibly cheap for the location, we currently pay more than 10x this in Portland,,

So you're paying $1000/m for a server in Portland? Lol.

Greyhound said: So you're paying $1000/m for a server in Portland? Lol.

lol

• EdmondEdmond Member
    edited April 2018

This routing is terrible... I get better latency to certain Asian country and to western EU than to this OVH DC that's two states away from me. How is that even possible????

Connections goes from BC, Canada -> BHS -> Chicago -> Palo Alto -> PDX

Tracing route to 147.135.33.77 over a maximum of 30 hops

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  Internal Router
      2    17 ms     9 ms     7 ms  Internal ISP Routing
      3    61 ms    61 ms    63 ms  75.154.xxx.xxx - ISP's Network
      4    61 ms    60 ms    60 ms  be9.mtl-1-6k.qc.ca [198.27.73.220]
      5    62 ms    62 ms    62 ms  be100-1321.bhs-g1-nc5.qc.ca [192.99.146.136]
      6    78 ms    78 ms    78 ms  be100-1320.chi-1-a9.il.us [198.27.73.207]
      7   127 ms   127 ms   128 ms  pao-sv8-bb1-a9.ca.us [198.27.73.148]
      8   144 ms   144 ms   145 ms  pdx1-hil1-g2-nc5.ca.us [142.44.208.9]
      9     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     10     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     11     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     12   144 ms   143 ms   144 ms  147.135.33.77

Trace complete.

Seems that everything has to hit either BHS or RBX before it can reach the actual datacenter...

• Just wanted to say that the routing issues everyone is experiencing have been acknowledged, and a resolution that mitigates the latency and geographic bouncing around is being actively worked towards.

• Source?

• Do you need a source? they obviously are not going to keep it as is.

• I was looking more for a road map for this. OVH is not known to be a fast mover. Hopefully they sort this soon.

• Why is everyone hammering on their routing? It's going to change. You people are talking about it like you all forget that the internet is not a concrete highway.

It's been the same with all their new sites. Eventually they sort it out.

@LosPollosHermanos said:
    Why is everyone hammering on their routing? It's going to change. You people are talking about it like you all forget that the internet is not a concrete highway.

Singapore hasn't been sorted out after a year. Why would anyone trust OVH's promises? It's not like these servers are free.

Thanked by 1saibal
  • irmirm Member

any ETA on their cloud/vps offerings in virginia/oregon?

Thanked by 1sin
  • @CConner said:

@LosPollosHermanos said:
    Why is everyone hammering on their routing? It's going to change. You people are talking about it like you all forget that the internet is not a concrete highway.

Singapore hasn't been sorted out after a year. Why would anyone trust OVH's promises? It's not like these servers are free.

What's wrong with Singapore? There were problems at first but then they got a redundant route through Australia. East coast routing is not great because it goes through Europe. But west coast is ok.

LosPollosHermanos said: What's wrong with Singapore? There were problems at first but then they got a redundant route through Australia. East coast routing is not great because it goes through Europe. But west coast is ok.

Regularly offline, SLA is not enforced, latency to pretty much anywhere is still extremely bad compared to other providers etc. etc.

• @saibal said:
    Source?

I work for OVH

• @mynameisironic said: I work for OVH

Sweet. Any estimate as to when this would be complete? Also, you should ask for the provider tag here.

• @saibal said:

@mynameisironic said: I work for OVH

Sweet. Any estimate as to when this would be complete? Also, you should ask for the provider tag here.

I am not the party responsible for fixing the issue so I can't give an estimate unfortunately, but I do know that it is currently being investigated.

As far as a provider tag goes - I am just a technician and don't really know how much I am able to say on behalf of the company on here, I don't think it would be very fitting giving me a tag

• bob1bob1 Member

Just wanted to comment on this, but has anyone else noticed that this datacenter still routes everything on the west coast to Chicago and then back to Oregon? Every IP I try on http://lg.he.net does this.

I told support about this almost a whole year ago and it still hasn't been fixed. And lots of providers here are using this DC.

Anyone know how we could go about getting Octave to notice this or someone else that could get things done?

• @bob1 what providers are using this DC?

• bob1bob1 Member

Sorry my mistake, some providers are using the east coast vint hill dc, which also has issues but not as many.

• OVHcloud_jamesOVHcloud_james Member, Host Rep

Hi @bob1, We are working on the routing with an estimated fix in the next couple of months. Feel free to PM me for details.

Thanks,

James

Thanked by 1eva2000