Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

choosing between these two 10 Gbps VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

choosing between these two 10 Gbps VPS

pinopino Member
Hello. I have had recently some DoS problems (~10 IPs involved, 1.5 Gbps, packets of 1500 bytes so around 100K pps). DDoS protection is generally too expensive, and I've had the impression that it doesn't really guarantee anything, at least for my budget. So the idea is to get a VPS with a burstable 10 Gbps port. So I have found these two offers:

https://hosthatch.com/10gbit-vps
http://www.5gbps.com/netherlands-vps.php

My concerns are: is the CPU fast enough to handle all that packet dropping? Do you think that the 10 Gbps is in practice good enough to sustain this 1.5 Gbps traffic?

Comments

• Due to the number of packets associated with DDoS, but I'm not sure if getting a 10Gbit port is the answer. There are other factors.

I would definitely read the terms carefully and make sure it works the way you think it does.
  • pinopino Member
    So do you have any suggestion? I cannot use clodflare or similar services, I am providing an UDP service.
  • blackblack Member
    If it's UDP, I'm pretty sure frantech can handle that.
  • rds100rds100 Member
    Makre sure to contact the providers in advance and ask them if your intended use is OK with them.
  • irmirm Member
    edited May 2013
    Honestly it depends completely on the attack size but I would check out www.nfoservers.com. They're mainly a game server/voice server hosting company which seems to have the resources and experience in place to handle most attacks sent their way.

Im not trying to say they're a "DDoS mitigation host" or a "DDoS protected host" by any means because they state they are not and will nullroute you if an attack is large enough but they do seem to have the capability to handle small-medium attacks and their system will automatically filter most, if not all of them.

Also, you're able to customize your own firewall rules via their control panel or set predetermined rules created by them in place to stop most simple/common attacks. So if you already know what you're dealing with, you can work with their support staff to setup custom filters.

They aren't "LEB" prices though since they do start at ~15 a month but I would really give them a shot and see if they suite your needs.

If 15 a month is too much to spend, check out BuyVM. Their UDP protection is pretty much unbeatable for the price point but if you're doing something that requires more than good latency consistently, id check with nfoservers first.
  • tr1ckytr1cky Member
    Well, having a 10gbps vps doesn't mean the provider wouldn't nullroute you for attacks that are 1gbps, every normal provider would nullroute you, because they have to pay for the bandwidth and it would make their network unstable, you should better look for a protection solution.
  • pinopino Member
    I forgot to mention that our audience is in Europe, so no North America hosting, sorry.
  • tr1ckytr1cky Member
    edited May 2013
    I would recommend you to look at digitalocean, iperweb/prometeus, filemedia, torqhost and edis

E: Sorry, wrong thread.

You could have a look at ip-projects.de, they offer udp flood protection with their astrato security gateways for an additional 25€ / Month, that would make 50€ / Month for their cheapest dedicated.
  • GaNiGaNi Member
    @pino

@SplitIce seems to be providing budget EU DDoS protection at the moment. http://x4b.net (JavaPipe, EU)
  • SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2013

Its very important to have specialized hardware to handle attacks, CPUs will not suffice. Even the best network card / CPU will be well under 200k PPS. In addition be sure to factor in the price of bandwidth, a 10gbit (even 1.5gbit attack is 675gb/h!) attack will chew 4.5TB/hour.

Just a note, our service we clearly state our protection thresholds, if you find a provider be absolutely certain they can handle your attack or else its just wasted money (as they will nullroute you).

Other factors:
    - VPSs are shared resources not designed for this task. No guarantees, and the server maintainers have to ensure conectivity and reliability for all so I suggest checking any AUP / TOS else you will most likely find yourself out on your ass.
    - Cost of virtualization, if the network driver for the VM is not optimized for direct IO with the hardware network card you will struggle under tiny attacks.

• johnlth93johnlth93 Member
    edited May 2013

@black said:
    If it's UDP, I'm pretty sure frantech can handle that.

pretty sure they will just null route you
    or at least it happened to me

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2013

Frantech's old protection at Awknet wasn't amazing (especially for UDP).
    Their new protection is pretty good, CNServers do a good job. @pino requested EU location, Frantech is US.

• rds100rds100 Member

Not only is Frantech US, but it's also on the wrong side of the US. So not good for EU.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

How much sustained traffic has someone been able to push through a 10gbit VPS?

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

I can only imagine the future DDOS we can all look forward to!