Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] Netcup Root-Server M SSD v6a1 12M - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Review] Netcup Root-Server M SSD v6a1 12M

2»

Comments

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@jvnadr said: And for the records, here are two benchmarks from my servers. The first is a vserver and the second a root server:

Both are SAS, right?

• lemonlemon Member

@deer76 said:
    OK. I used "new" as in this comment, they are all vServers but new root servers have dedicated cores (from what I have read on their offer and reviews).

yes their root servers are vservers with "dedicated" cores, thats not a new thing :D
    if you want a dedicated server you can also buy that from them, but it's really expensive compared to other hosters.

PS: "dedicated" because if you max out 24/7 they throttle.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@lemon said: @deer76 said: OK. I used "new" as in this comment, they are all vServers but new root servers have dedicated cores (from what I have read on their offer and reviews).

yes their root servers are vservers with "dedicated" cores, thats not a new thing :D

I used "new" as "relatively new". At some point in the not-so-distant past, netcup redesigned the Root-Server series and the vServer series. I believe that your two Root-Servers belong to the redesigned series (like my Root-Server as well). @deer76 has a Root-Server belonging to the previous ("old") series.

Thanked by 1deer76
  • angstrom said: Both are SAS, right?

Yes, they are

• @lemon said:

@deer76 said:
    OK. I used "new" as in this comment, they are all vServers but new root servers have dedicated cores (from what I have read on their offer and reviews).

if you want a dedicated server you can also buy that from them, but it's really expensive compared to other hosters.

I got a root server with 2 virtual cores, not dedicated. So at least in the past it was possible to have a root server without dedicated cores.

Could not measure this if it ever happened to me. Possible.

@angstrom said:

@jvnadr said: Wouldn't be easier than the detective work, if someone (like OP for example) just opened a ticket and asked them if it is pure SSD or SSD cached setup?

Wouldn't that be way too easy?! ;-) (You're right, of course.)

No point when I already cancelled the service.

jvnadr said: Finally, ~275MB/s average i/o for a vps costing 7€ per month, is not bad at all for the big majority of the potential users. In fact, anything over 120-150MB/s would be really good in this price range for such a product.

Here, I completely agree. It was/is a good price for a good product.

Me too, and they have real SSD offers which are fine as other users reported.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited April 2018

angstrom said: But, you're right, if we want to be kind to netcup, we could say that they understood "performance" to mean "caching"

I think they should have been clearly state if this was caching or pure. I generally dislike marketing terms in tech products or even in the general retail industry, because it can produce misunderstandings.

Do you remember a couple of decades ago, how many companies with amplifiers targeting to the low to middle customer group, measured their performance? They claimed amps of 600W (in fact this was the PMPO power) and not something like 40-50W that would be their real output power (RMS). So, people with less knowledge thought "wow, it is a real powerful amplifier" but in fact it was a week one...

Thanked by 3deer76 angstrom Falzo
  • First-RootFirst-Root Member, Host Rep

@lemon said:

Do you know that or do you suspect it?

• lemonlemon Member
    edited April 2018

@FR_Michael said:

@lemon said:

I know that, because I mined some cryptonight coins on it when the bitcoin boom was.
    After 24 hours the hashrate nearly halved.

Only when letting it idle for some hours the full performance was back.

Later they changed their TOS that mining isn't allowed.

• First-RootFirst-Root Member, Host Rep

@lemon said:

@FR_Michael said:

@lemon said:

I know that, because I mined some cryptonight coins on it when the bitcoin boom was.
    After 24 hours the hashrate nearly halved.

Only when letting it idle for some hours the full performance was back.

Later they changed their TOS that mining isn't allowed.

Thanks for clarification.