Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Plz help me getting a VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Plz help me getting a VPS

Hi Guys,

I am looking for a VPS with US IP for web surfing, watching and downloading movies

Requirements:

Fast Internet

No Lagging, i was using kvm before but there was so much lag, can't open more than 1 tab in IE, so i had to ask for refund

Budget = i dnt care about HD, RAM, Cores, just looking for VPS which runs smoothly without lag and i can browse websites and watch movies with fast internet, so, assuming, 1-5$ monthly

Comments

• awsonawson Member
    i was using kvm before but there was so much lag, can't open more than 1 tab in IE, so i had to ask for refund
    wat
  • D3vilD3vil Member
    ... install openvpn in your vps and solved your problem...
  • blackblack Member
    I don't think you should go for a VPS, find a VPN service, like this one

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/10526/vpn-sh-such-a-conspiracy-deal-13-vpn-locations-15year#latest
  • can i get a fixed US ip with vpn?

and is it safe, if i install a vpn on my pc, and surf sites with US IP, can they find out that i am using a vpn?
  • SpencerSpencer Member
    can i get a fixed US ip with vpn?

and is it safe, if i install a vpn on my pc, and surf sites with US IP, can they find out that i am using a vpn?

What country do you live in?
  • taronyutaronyu Member
    I would recommend RamNode or Ipxcore.
  • i live in Kuwait,

i can't access offers on few sites, which are only available for US
  • earlearl Member
    Buy the $2/mo plan it's an unmetered 10mbit so you don't have to worry about bandwidth..

http://www.vpscheap.net/linux-unmetered.aspx

Then follow this guide so can tunnel with putty..

http://www.dotcomunderground.com/blogs/2008/12/11/putty-ssh-tunnel-to-hide-ip/

Lag free surfing/streaming!
  • bcrlsnbcrlsn Member
    SSH tunnel to linux vps running OpenVPN or Squid Proxy.
  • guys, i dnt understand 1 thing:

if i am getting US IP with VPS, then why shld i use SSH tunnel to hide IP on VPS?
  • D3vilD3vil Member
    I suggest you take a vps yearly from buyvm..15 dollars..
  • D3vil wrote: »

if i take a VPS, how much RAM do u think wld be enough for surfing and streaming?

and which OS shld i go for? and will it be lag free?
  • earlearl Member
    guys, i dnt understand 1 thing:

if i am getting US IP with VPS, then why shld i use SSH tunnel to hide IP on VPS?

Forget the title.. just folow the guide it allows you to tunnel with putty without having to install a VPN on you VPS, you then can use your local web browser for surfing or watching hulu, you can also get a UK IP and watch iplayer etc..

This will give you a better experience than RDP'ing to your windows server..
  • bcrlsnbcrlsn Member
    SSH encrypts the traffic.
  • Forget the title.. just folow the guide it allows you to tunnel with putty without having to install a VPN on you VPS, you then can use your local web browser for surfing or watching hulu, you can also get a UK IP and watch iplayer etc..

This will give you a better experience than RDP'ing to your windows server..[/quote]

10 mbits is enough for streaming?

and which shld i go for (Ubuntu or Centos)?

i hv used only windows and hvnt used other OS, for windows, we have to install java, flash player, .net framework etc, to view advanced websites...is it same for these OS as well?
  • earlearl Member
    D3vil wrote: »

if i take a VPS, how much RAM do u think wld be enough for surfing and streaming?

and which OS shld i go for? and will it be lag free?

If you are tunneling with putty then even a 32MB VPS is fine.. it will be lag free for sure and go for Debian..
  • @earl

ok taking 2$ /m plan from vpscheap.net, i will go for Debian and then follow the putty guide...

last few questions:

10 mbit/s wld be enough for streaming?

i want to have only 1 US IP, which i want to use daily, because if i visit the sites with different IPS or with hidden IP, then my account will be banned, so, tunneling with putty, is it safe and i will be with same ip everyday?
  • blackblack Member
    @earl

ok taking 2$ /m plan from vpscheap.net, i will go for Debian and then follow the putty guide...

last few questions:

10 mbit/s wld be enough for streaming?

i want to have only 1 US IP, which i want to use daily, because if i visit the sites with different IPS or with hidden IP, then my account will be banned, so, tunneling with putty, is it safe and i will be with same ip everyday?

Depends on the content you're streaming and your connection speed. Generally, it should be enough, if you can get the full 10 Mbps.

You will have a static IP when you buy a VPS, so if you tunnel through your VPS, your IP will not change.
  • Thanks earl, black and every1 :)

i hv used only windows and hvnt used other OS, for windows, we have to install java, flash player, .net framework etc, to view advanced websites...is it same for debian as well?
  • awsonawson Member
    i hv used only windows and hvnt used other OS, for windows, we have to install java, flash player, .net framework etc, to view advanced websites...is it same for debian as well?

If you're just setting up a proxy/VPN, no.
  • blackblack Member
    Thanks earl, black and every1 :)

No. You only install openvpn on your VPS and that's all you need.
  • earlearl Member
    Thanks earl, black and every1 :)

If you follow the guide you don't need to install anything on your VPS, it's ready to go since you will be using the web browser from your computer, just setup putty and your local web browser for proxy and you're good to go.. just give it a try first you will see that it works quite well..
  • TheLuckyBoyTheLuckyBoy Member
    edited May 2013
    Bought a VPS...

installed debian-6.0-x86_64 on it...

installed Putty on my PC and following the guide which u hv given me...

i have few questions regarding putty:

Host Name (or IP address): i am putting my VPS IP here, is that right?

After doing all settings, which i click OPEN on putty, a new window opens and its asking for username and pw? which user and pw is that?
  • PatrickPatrick Member
    Host Name (or IP address): i am putting my VPS IP here, is that right?

After doing all settings, which i click OPEN on putty, a new window opens and its asking for username and pw? which user and pw is that?

Yes VPS IP in hostname/IP field.

User: root
    Password: your VPS password included in your welcome email from your host
  • Allrite thanks...

There's 1 more problem:

when a new windows opens after clicking open in putty, i am able to write username but not able to write password, its not showing any characters on the screen, only i can do is clicking enter and it says access denied
  • PatrickPatrick Member
    Allrite thanks...

There's 1 more problem:

when a new windows opens after clicking open in putty, i am able to write username but not able to write password, its not showing any characters on the screen, only i can do is clicking enter and it says access denied

Passwords do not show up on putty, when you type it. It's there but doesn't show up so make sure you enter it right or paste it and hit enter
  • inverseinverse Member
    Allrite thanks...

There's 1 more problem:

THat's what SSH does. Just type your password in and press enter.
  • i am entering right pw, but still getting ACCESS DENIED

donno whats gettin wrong :(
  • plz help me guys,

i dnt know what to do now?

putty is not working for me, giving Access Denied

how can i use this VPS for surfing and streaming?
  • Go with @Patrick, have him setup a squid for you and use it on your browser.