Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Russia bans Google Cloud, Amazon, Azure, Digital Ocean, Online.net, Hetzner, OVH, others - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Russia bans Google Cloud, Amazon, Azure, Digital Ocean, Online.net, Hetzner, OVH, others

Comments

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2018

@jiggawattz said:

And LET isn't democratic either, and neither are most U.S. tech companies whose founders usually hoard majority voting rights, even if not owning majority shares.

LET administrators and US tech companies haven't ran over & shot students in a square with tanks, or had their troops go on holiday in a neighbouring country with their tanks.

I see little point in defending these governments. Anything else is more worthy of your time.

Thanked by 1mrTom
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

China is a good example, whats coming soon.

There are some people who would like to have a world government.

Thats gonna be funny, time to go to mars.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@jackb said:

@jiggawattz said:

And LET isn't democratic either, and neither are most U.S. tech companies whose founders usually hoard majority voting rights, even if not owning majority shares.

LET administrators and US tech companies haven't ran over & shot students in a square with tanks, or had their troops go on holiday in a neighbouring country with their tanks.

I wouldn't make assumptions until you've asked them point blank.

Thanked by 2jackb MasonR
  • jackbjackb Member, Host Rep

@jarland said:

@jackb said:

@jiggawattz said:

I wouldn't make assumptions until you've asked them point blank.

@AnthonySmith bought a tank recently?

Thanked by 1jar
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

jackb said: @AnthonySmith bought a tank recently?

Several.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@AnthonySmith said:

jackb said: @AnthonySmith bought a tank recently?

Several.

Anthony, do you plan to launch a aggression, war?

We do already have enough wars.

Neoon said: Anthony, do you plan to launch a aggression, war?

I have them to defend my home!

• jackb said: or had their troops go on holiday in a neighbouring country with their tanks.

Sorry but in political science this is just not a fair comparison - a government of a larger country has very different interests than even the most globalised ultra-size companies (eg. Samsung in it's entirety, which basically runs Korea).

To your example... the CEOs of VKontakte and other Russian IT magnates (the Telegram investor was active with VK since pretty much beginning btw) did not run people over with tanks either, or invade someone. They are generally liberal people which do not like the system a lot but have to work with it on a daily basis.

I also do not see any reason to be democratic in my company, it is mine after all. You do not have to work for me or do business with me if you do not want to, very simple.

This is not a Western or Eastern thought process, more a human trait of keeping control - worker owned companies are a thing in both East and West, as are companies based on similar shared values (eg. environment protection or other social causes), all of this things exist globally.

Lastly let me note the "bastion of freedom of business" US has some very anti-capitalist laws, it is unthinkable that our Parliament/Senate cites me to answer questions about how my business operates in a public "roast" held by some old guys which do nothing else than legal insider trading all year.

Thanked by 1ianhobbs
  • TomTom Member

WebProject said: I don’t think the issue that Putin wish to block it, Telegram was used for illegal and for terrorist activities and nothing to do with freedom of communication.

>

Made my night

• It's gettin' spicy.

• @AnthonySmith said:

Neoon said: Anthony, do you plan to launch a aggression, war?

I have them to defend my home!

oi you got a loicense to do that mate?

• Vova1234Vova1234 Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2018

jackb said: a neighbouring country with their tanks.

I have a feeling that this nonsense in the east of my country will never cease. Already 4 years have passed, it can so in a depression and drive. You expect surprises what you do not know when will happen and what will happen.

But the Telegrams did an amazing trolling.

They simply change different data centers, and Roskomnadzor bans a whole subnet /14 /16 /17.

Do they plan to unlock the networks?

maldovia said: oi you got a loicense to do that mate?

I don't need a license, its my right!

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@AnthonySmith said:

Here's your Texas ID, you're in.

• YokedEggYokedEgg Member
    edited April 2018

@jarland said:

@AnthonySmith said:

Looooooooool.

I got my first shotgun on my 18th birthday, srs. Midwest.

Merica

Thanked by 1jar
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

In before, Russnet, Russia only internet.

• AidanAidan Member

I got my first shotgun on my 18th birthday, srs. Midwest.

Merica

That's about 8 years too late.

Thanked by 3YokedEgg MasonR FHR
  • jackb said: LET administrators and US tech companies haven't ran over & shot students in a square with tanks, or had their troops go on holiday in a neighbouring country with their tanks.

Of course. Security is not the responsibility of LET administrators or U.S. tech companies - it is the responsibility of the State.

I see little point in defending these governments. Anything else is more worthy of your time.

The problem is that these governments have real and significant support domestically. Authoritarianism is spreading. 10 years ago Belarus was Europe's last dictatorship. Since then, Poland and Hungary have veered autocratic. The only bright spot in democratization is Uzbekistan really. And where the fuck is that country?

William said: Lastly let me note the "bastion of freedom of business" US has some very anti-capitalist laws, it is unthinkable that our Parliament/Senate cites me to answer questions about how my business operates in a public "roast" held by some old guys which do nothing else than legal insider trading all year.

wot

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited April 2018

Shkreli, Zuckerberg (only fits half as example due to nature, but was latest) and all other "house committee hearings" (and don't forget the senate) on various 'issues' that subpoena uselessly on thin legal basis to, well, roast business owners.

They and especially the funny Chavez guy should keep to roasting gov, very funny to watch on YT. Anything else is not their problem and especially private corporations are not.

Thanked by 1FHR
  • stefemanstefeman Member
    edited April 2018

Where do you see the list of subnets banned?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

stefeman said: Where do you see the list of subnets banned?

Updates are posted on Telegram by https://t.me/rknshowtime

Raw list (including non-subnet bans) is avaliable at https://github.com/zapret-info/z-i/

• @jarland said:

@AnthonySmith said:

Wait... you can legally own a tank in the US? wtf that can’t be safe...

Thanked by 1netomx
  • mikecmikec Member

How Russia government decides which data center ranges to ban?

• Well, the RKN here in Russia has a poor reputation of overpowered organization run by extremely incompetent and shortsighted people. They are famous for trying to block localhost (that is, entire 127/8) and their own CA resources, efficiently having blocked their own sites with that. Those epic failures are well known here.

Their idiotic attempts to block large subnets used by Telegram microservices didn't result in significant blocking Telegram, but already wrought havoc here in the country. But since they use the old mantra "Telegram is used widely by terrorists", they manage to get away with it. No doubt they are blackmailing Google, Amazon etc, trying to force them into banning Telegram out of their datacenters.

However, large businesses started to file complaints already, due to severe business processes disruption, caused by massive blocking (which ends in smoke so far), thus it is only a matter of time when higher powers will order to cease these senseless meddling with Internet access.

As for VPN, whatever - every IT-competent person in here is capable of setting up a VPN/proxy with little efforts, so the primary targets of RKN aren't actually affected. Durov's goal is most probably to demonstrate that RKN is extremely incompetent and run by people of average capabilities of average "script kiddie".

I agree, do not yield to possible RKN bullying, do not block Telegram-related resources in your networks.

Thanked by 1ma2t
  • @doghouch said:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=GW2U0qORdLE
    somebody shooting his truck with a WW2 tank.

• @stefeman said:
    Where do you see the list of subnets banned?

Look in here https://usher2.club/en/

They collected many resources related to current ban list.

• AidanAidan Member

You can legally own a tank in most countries without too much of a hassle if the main gun has been deactivated/demilitarized.

Thanked by 2Janevski netomx
  • @doghouch said:

@jarland said:

@AnthonySmith said:

thank goodness the government exists to tell us what is safe or not

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • @Aidan said:

You can legally own a tank in most countries without too much of a hassle if the main gun has been deactivated/demilitarized.

A tank is just an unfriendly bulldozer.

Thanked by 2Aidan netomx
  • GulfGulf Member
    edited April 2018

The same in Kazakhstan.
    SendGrid has been blocked in Kazakhstan by the Gov. Users are unable even to unsubscribe. Probably, opposition used this service to send something about the President.
    Also they banned a lot of subnets in LA, SFO.