Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Russia bans Google Cloud, Amazon, Azure, Digital Ocean, Online.net, Hetzner, OVH, others
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Russia bans Google Cloud, Amazon, Azure, Digital Ocean, Online.net, Hetzner, OVH, others

rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
edited April 2018 in General

Over the past few days almost 20 million IP addresses were blocked in the country by Russia's communications watchdog Roskomnadzor, in an attempt to deny users access to Telegram messenger, which has refused to cooperate with the country's FSB (ex. KGB) security agency to provide secret keys to user's encrypted messages.

Graph of the amount of IPs currently blocked: https://usher2.club/en/

Latest additions:
46.101.128.0/17 (Digital Ocean, Inc.)
178.63.0.0/16 (Hetzner Online GmbH)
195.154.0.0/17 (Iliad Entreprises Customers)
51.15.0.0/16 (ONLINE_NET_DEDICATED_SERVERS_NL)

Apparently Telegram is deploying connection proxies across various cloud providers to allow people to continue using the program evading the blocks of Telegram's own AS and IPs, and Roskomnadzor in response cuts all access to those providers entirely.

If you as a hosting company get any request to block or remove services or IPs used by Telegram LLC, please do not cooperate with those requests, do not support stifling of users' privacy and freedoms which has been condemned by the UN. Even if you get your networks blocked in Russia, this has went to such scale that this can't continue for long, they will have to step back eventually, just do not support them and don't let them "win" easily.

Comments

• Vova1234Vova1234 Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2018

This is so epic.

In these subnets, a bunch of servers are bugging me: 51.15.0.0/16 & 195.154.0.0/17.

Traffic that will fall on the sites as half of the runet of sites sits in European data centers.

Thanked by 1rm_
  • Telegram now has the ability to block any website within Russia. Checkmate!

• PUSHR_VictorPUSHR_Victor Member, Host Rep

Hey, welcome to China:)

• Well if Telegram choose to deploy a tiny reverse proxy on Google App Engine they would be accessible via any Google Global Cache's IP, which will put Putin in the same dilemma of China - to block Google completely or not.

It took China a couple of years to reach the conclusion of blocking Google head to tail; Wonder what would happen next.

Thanked by 1jetchirag
  • YokedEggYokedEgg Member
    edited April 2018

@cnbeining said:
    Well if Telegram choose to deploy a tiny reverse proxy on Google App Engine they would be accessible via any Google Global Cache's IP, which will put Putin in the same dilemma of China - to block Google completely or not.

It took China a couple of years to reach the conclusion of blocking Google head to tail; Wonder what would happen next.

Straight stupidity going on here from both China and Russia.

That type of governing is not sustainable forever.

EDIT: Plus the smarter people get around all of these blocks anyways, so what even is the point? People who want access to blocked things get it.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited April 2018

YokedEgg said: smarter people get around all of these blocks anyways, so what even is the point? People who want access to blocked things get it

Many were using VPNs through a VPS on Digital Ocean or Hetzner to do just that. Having those also blocked, came as an unpleasant surprise. Now people need to hastily look for other options -- with no guarantee those will stay available. This feels like a war with each bombshell hitting closer and closer. I host my stuff on OVH, and Online.net has already been blocked. Nobody knows who's next. And this is really an uncharted territory, I don't think even China just blocks millions of IPs of hosting providers entirely.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

You can still buy servers in russia, which you could use as vpn, with low latency to bypass all that.

You do not even need to buy something outside russia.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I wonder if this explains the massive increase of orders from Russia in the past few days.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@cnbeining said:
    which will put Putin in the same dilemma of China - to block Google completely or not.

I don’t think the issue that Putin wish to block it, Telegram was used for illegal and for terrorist activities and nothing to do with freedom of communication.

It’s exactle the same as torrent website were banned in UK, exactly the same as KODI and android TV boxes.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

The end has been averted.

Thanked by 2Janevski mmexpert
  • @WebProject said:

@cnbeining said:
    which will put Putin in the same dilemma of China - to block Google completely or not.

I don’t think the issue that Putin wish to block it, Telegram was used for illegal and for terrorist activities and nothing to do with freedom of communication.

It’s exactle the same as torrent website were banned in UK, exactly the same as KODI and android TV boxes.

The official reason is Telegram refused to provide a backdoor to decipher conversations on the service.

Look at Snowden's Twitter. Kind of stupid to be sort of attacking the country that's providing you refuge even if your right, but hey, whatever.

• AidanAidan Member

WebProject said: Telegram was used for illegal and for terrorist activities and nothing to do with freedom of communication.

Err... Then you'd have to take down every major site known to man.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@Aidan said:

WebProject said: Telegram was used for illegal and for terrorist activities and nothing to do with freedom of communication.

Err... Then you'd have to take down every major site known to man.

Starting with LET and the DMCA bulletproof offers ;-).

• jammyjammy Member

would be funny if they decided to use Akamai

Thanked by 4Mark_R cece Dormeo FHR
  • @YokedEgg said:

@cnbeining said:
    Well if Telegram choose to deploy a tiny reverse proxy on Google App Engine they would be accessible via any Google Global Cache's IP, which will put Putin in the same dilemma of China - to block Google completely or not.

EDIT: Plus the smarter people get around all of these blocks anyways, so what even is the point? People who want access to blocked things get it.

I heard a few weeks ago they were planning to outlaw the use of VPN.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited April 2018

@WebProject said:

@cnbeining said:

I thought this was funny, just personally. Thanks :D

• @YokedEgg said:

@cnbeining said:

FYI after 10 years of censorship the generation after me (whose age is <15) is having problem recognizing Google - they would believe that a world without Google, FB, Twitter, Dropbox is normal.

10 years ago I was quite positive about the censorship. But damn we are losing this war. Damn.

Thanked by 2YokedEgg NanoG6
  • @DanSummer said:

@YokedEgg said:

@cnbeining said:

I heard a few weeks ago they were planning to outlaw the use of VPN.

Well, the point is to stay undetected.

Where there is demand, a solution will be supplied by intelligent engineers. There's always a way around.

• @cnbeining said:

@YokedEgg said:

@cnbeining said:

FYI after 10 years of censorship the generation after me (whose age is <15) is having problem recognizing Google - they would believe that a world without Google, FB, Twitter, Dropbox is normal.

10 years ago I was quite positive about the censorship. But damn we are losing this war. Damn.

It's times like this I appreciate living in the United States regardless the flaws in my own country.

I don't think our culture would ever allow that blatant of censorship, it still exists, but we proactively fight it.

• @YokedEgg said:

@cnbeining said:

@YokedEgg said:

@cnbeining said:

It's times like this I appreciate living in the United States regardless the flaws in my own country.

I don't think our culture would ever allow that blatant of censorship, it still exists, but we proactively fight it.

I think the friendly reminder for those who lives in countries who does not censor information so bad is: freedom from censorship is a right, while in some parts of the world such right is treated as a privilege . I am feeling sorry that some people still have to fight for this.

Thanked by 3YokedEgg Dylan Yura
  • openosopenos Member
    edited April 2018

Who's next?

• @openos said:
    Who's next?

I'll nullroute myself.

$ sudo date; sleep 30; sudo route del default

Thanked by 1yomero
  • Vova1234Vova1234 Member, Patron Provider

They add 91.121.0.0/16 - OVH, RBX1 was banned.

Thanked by 2rm_ coreflux
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2018

"Russia isn't a communist country, we watch Netflix, YouTube just like America"

not so soon, Kkomrade.

I hope the Russian government gives up, this will be like every other IP witch hunt trying to ban tens of thousands of ranges.

Thanked by 1YokedEgg
  • YokedEgg said: Straight stupidity going on here from both China and Russia.

Why do you say this? I definitely don't support what Russia and China do, but I think there is a naive (mis)understanding in the West about the social contract that binds Russians and Chinese to their governments.

People in Russia and China generally don't care specifically about some abstract notion of freedom, and they aren't "yearning" as "huddled masses" as that traditional American imagery depicts those in non-democracies.

China has experienced massive economic growth under the heavy hand of the State, and hundreds of millions have been lifted out of poverty. You could argue that they could do even better under democracy. But Russians' standard of living has dramatically improved under authoritarianism v. the chaos and poverty caused by its fledgling democracy in the 90s. (Rising price of oil helped too.)

The State isn't as unpopular in those places as many Westerners would believe, and it certainly has a significant amount of genuine local support, too. And LET isn't democratic either, and neither are most U.S. tech companies whose founders usually hoard majority voting rights, even if not owning majority shares.

• CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep

Russia really is shooting themselves in the foot.

• Tested: my VPS from Veesp.com in Russia can still connect to Online successfully. Maybe @veesp could provide some special offer on this great marketing opportunity.

• Actually This have to happen.

!!!Data Business and Security Reasons!!!

• YokedEggYokedEgg Member
    edited April 2018

@jiggawattz said:

YokedEgg said: Straight stupidity going on here from both China and Russia.

Why do you say this? I definitely don't support what Russia and China do, but I think there is a naive (mis)understanding in the West about the social contract that binds Russians and Chinese to their governments.

People in Russia and China generally don't care specifically about some abstract notion of freedom, and they aren't "yearning" as "huddled masses" as that traditional American imagery depicts those in non-democracies.

China has experienced massive economic growth under the heavy hand of the State, and hundreds of millions have been lifted out of poverty. You could argue that they could do even better under democracy. But Russians' standard of living has dramatically improved under authoritarianism v. the chaos and poverty caused by its fledgling democracy in the 90s. (Rising price of oil helped too.)

The State isn't as unpopular in those places as many Westerners would believe, and it certainly has a significant amount of genuine local support, too. And LET isn't democratic either, and neither are most U.S. tech companies whose founders usually hoard majority voting rights, even if not owning majority shares.

Average wage in the United States = ~$37,000

Average wage in China = ~$11,000

Both rounded, of course.

Both in USD.

https://tradingeconomics.com/china/wages &
    https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/wages

No more need be said.

P.S. Srs, not trying to have a political debate here lol. It's unwinnable.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited April 2018

CConner said: Russia really is shooting themselves in the foot.

The Russians do also ignore the real problems and live in some double standard world; on the RIPE mailing list first - days before the ban - move of RIPE to eg. Moscow as it would be "way cheaper" was suggested, and once this blocks started Russians got into ideas of RIPE enforcing on some way to remove these.

This is plain delusional thinking, if you do not like the laws have them changed (and the Russians - especially at RIPE - should complain less, in Iran half of the internet simply does not work).

And stop calling me "Russophobe" when i explain you a day before your gov censors half of the internet that Russia is not suitable in any imaginable way for an organisation as RIPE. Because i'm not, your government and laws just simply suck, how much of this is your own fault is the only point to argue about.

jiggawattz said: Why do you say this? I definitely don't support what Russia and China do, but I think there is a naive (mis)understanding in the West about the social contract that binds Russians and Chinese to their governments.

Sure. But then they should please stop fucking complaining how the gov censors and "limits rights". You cannot have both sides, decide for one.

Thanked by 1YokedEgg