Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Privacy-friendly VPS with data-center in Europe
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Privacy-friendly VPS with data-center in Europe

notthebeenotthebee Member
edited April 2018 in Providers

Hi everyone. I'm looking for a VPS. So far, all the providers i found ask for a lot of personal information. I'm talking about the kind of information i wouldn't trust any company with (my real address, real name, sometimes even ID scans).

For now i am using box.cock.li, which i'm really happy with. Unfortunately, the price is a little bit to high for me, and i would like to find a VPS provider that has a lower price option and doesn't need to know every single thing about me.

I'm welcome to any suggestions. Thanks in advance!

Thanked by 1quick

Comments

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Are you looking for a provider that will accept fake details or one that won't ask you for an ID?

There are various different methods of verification, depending on the country.

Thanked by 1Foul
  • FoulFoul Member

@Francisco

https://buyvm.net/kvm-dedicated-server-slices

Slices in Luxembourg, Europe, If it's out of stock, check back on the 1st and the 10th.

Of course you'll have to use your real address, name with any provider here on LET..

But buyVm has never asked me for a copy of my ID.

• pxhaxorpxhaxor Member
    edited April 2018

I found rootbox.host from monero's reddit page. Not rlly sure about the quality tho since i haven't tried em myself

Edit: looks like their dc is in canada. Not exactly what you're looking for.

• Hey @notthebee,

Just seriously interested in your motivation with this. I mean real address for many users is not really the most private thing if you are going to have a contract with any company, but especially with services like this.

Do you fear someone leaking the combination of email->address of yours or are you concerned that someone could come after you for doing illegal stuff? Because for the latter they would also have your connecting IP (if you don't use a VPN) and could still find out your info with a court order (in some countries not even that).

So basically to find the right provider/box it would be interesting to know what it's for

• GodsGods Member
    edited April 2018

Flokinet.is is one option

But yeah what is your motivation for this?

A simple Google search will give you pages after pages of hosts that really don't care.

Btw Cockbox colocates in Flokinet's datacenter, I think price is around the same.

• Ususlly german prepaid providers wont ask for your ID.

Try DeinServerHost, Server-Provider.com, Nitrado..

• RickBakkrRickBakkr Member, Patron Provider, LIR

Despite being mentioned by Foul, I absolutely vouch for @Francisco. You can pay with Bitcoins (maybe even other cryptos) which make you pass the security checks no matter what. Aside from that, they use a Luxembourg location (Luxconnect DC2 in Roost). Luxembourg is one of the countries in Europe with has one of the best laws concerning one's privacy.

• Any legitimate company will require that you provide accurate information, if you want to get away with providing false information then you clearly have something to hide, I can understand you not wanting to provide copies of your ID but the reason you're being asked for this is likely because they know that the information you're providing is fake.

Good luck on your search but it'll be a difficult one.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • MichaelCeeMichaelCee Barred
    edited April 2018

You wouldn't trust any company with your name and address? Have you never ordered something online or even instoor for delivery? Fake name and fake address? Doesn't work out :P

As Callum said, it's necessary information, especially if you're looking for EU. The UK legally requires we have this information on customers. Just be sure to read privacy policies clearly so you know what you have control over

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited April 2018

notthebee said: i wouldn't trust any company with (my real address, real name, sometimes even ID scans).

Are you stupid or just Chinese (in their blood to use fake details everywhere)? if you don't trust your details with provider, why you trust to hold your data? or you just trying to use service for illegal activities only and why providers should trust you?

Thanked by 2quick Master_Bo
  • https://www.urdn.com.ua/
    https://tranquillity.se/

Both communicate via PGP encrypted and signed emails and request no other personal details from you.

Thanked by 1willie
  • deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited April 2018

@Francisco for USA 2020.

Free VPS to every US citizen!

Thanked by 1BlaZe
  • BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

@WebProject said:
    Are you stupid or just Chinese (in their blood to use fake details everywhere)?

Woah, easy there boi, don't be racist.

Thanked by 1randvegeta
  • @BlaZe said:

@WebProject said:

Not in their blood, but in their non-cooperative governments nature to not pursue what's considered illegal cyber activities everywhere else, within their borders, creating a culture of illegal or unethical acts online.

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited April 2018

@WSCallum said:
    Any legitimate company will require that you provide accurate information, if you want to get away with providing false information then you clearly have something to hide, I can understand you not wanting to provide copies of your ID but the reason you're being asked for this is likely because they know that the information you're providing is fake.

Good luck on your search but it'll be a difficult one.

OVH thinks im Ken Kaneki and everything works just fine.

• Hoost said: As Callum said, it's necessary information, especially if you're looking for EU. The UK legally requires we have this information on customers.

The UK in fact receives severe criticism over privacy invasions like this. It's one thing for a privately owned hosting company to require ID as an abuse prevention measure, and another thing entirely for a government to require it of them.

In practice these policies exist because VPS are easy to abuse, such as for spamming. It's unfortunate. I dunno about other countries but the right to publish stuff anonymously is (according to the US supreme court) guaranteed by the US Constitution: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McIntyre_v._Ohio_Elections_Commission

If you just want to post legal content anonymously, there have been various high-privacy blog hosts at times (I don't know if Invisiblog is still around), or you could just use a site like livejournal which (at least back in the day) didn't ask for personal details.

VPS is iffier but yeah, that kind of thing has been offered. I'd like to hope that port 25 is blocked etc.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@RickBakkr said:
    Despite being mentioned by Foul, I absolutely vouch for @Francisco. You can pay with Bitcoins (maybe even other cryptos) which make you pass the security checks no matter what. Aside from that, they use a Luxembourg location (Luxconnect DC2 in Roost). Luxembourg is one of the countries in Europe with has one of the best laws concerning one's privacy.

Thanks!

Yes, we have a system in place that if you pay with alipay or crypto you get exempt from Maxmind/etc and it'll clear you. Understand though that all future payments will have to be done with those methods unless you're willing to go through full verification to get paypal/CC access.

Francisco

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited April 2018

@BlaZe said:

@WebProject said:

Not being racist at all, just today had at least 30 orders and 80% of them fake details from Chinese clients, we officially don’t accept any orders from China and they still trying to avoid our restrictions using VPNs / proxies.

edited April 2018

@willie said:

Hoost said: As Callum said, it's necessary information, especially if you're looking for EU. The UK legally requires we have this information on customers.

The UK in fact receives severe criticism over privacy invasions like this. It's one thing for a privately owned hosting company to require ID as an abuse prevention measure, and another thing entirely for a government to require it of them.

UK does not require hosting companies to hold or verify IDs. It would be an inproportionate burden on the business. However, if you come with an obviously fake name, pay with a card that fails address verification, then it’s not defensible for the business in case some abuse generates a court order. Not to mention that it breaches the somplest fraud prevention mechanisms.

That, and if you start our business relationship with breaching our contract by feeding us lies about your identity then I sure as hell don’t want you anywhere near my infrastructure.

Thanked by 1MichaelCee
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Clouvider said: It would be an inproportionate burden on the business

The definition of the UK.

Francisco

@Francisco said:

Clouvider said: It would be an inproportionate burden on the business

The definition of the UK.

Francisco

Not complaining ;-).

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

The only place this topic is headed is towards more political / ethics talk, so this is where it ends.

The way I see it the OP doesn't want to provide their details for one of the following reasons:

1. The OP thinks the host might mishandle their details (possibly due to negligence, possible due to a breach, etc.). While I sympathize, the simple course of action here is to find a competent and trustworthy provider. Fortunately for you, we have plenty around these parts. Just lurk for a week and you'll immediately be able to pick them out.
    2. The OP wants to conduct spammy behavior (mass emailing, port scans, etc.) and not end up on a blacklist or fraudlist. Sorry, but this isn't the place for that.
    3. The OP wants to conduct illegal activities (sharing copyrighted material, using/distributing nulled/cracked software, etc.). Again, sorry this isn't the place for that.

Carry on.

Thanked by 2saibal Clouvider
This discussion has been closed.