Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What server would suffice for custom android roms compilation
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What server would suffice for custom android roms compilation

Apologies in advance, I am new to this and would really appreciate if someone can give me more insights about it.

Comments

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

Compilation is a CPU intensive process. You can generally say that better CPU means less time needed, but the server will be more expensive. So it's really up to you how much you want to spend.

I would also opt for SSDs.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Virtualbox on your PC. Why do you need a server?

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@raindog308 said:
    Virtualbox on your PC. Why do you need a server?

Probably to play some games

• Maybe he/she needs a server to get things done faster. Best option would be a cloud server paid per hour. It will be removed after job is complete.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • Microsoft Azure or AWS really fits the bill with this one, but a bit pricey for the average LET'er.

Speaking for Azure, as long as the VM is in the deallocated state, all you pay for is the storage costs. This makes it very cheap just to build your reference Android ROM build machine and only power it on when you need to compile the ROM's as needed.

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

Jesus, at least 16GB RAM required

• Thank you all for giving these wonderful insights so seems like azure is my go to destiny, i will see in to aws and google cloud as well just compare all of them and decide.

• donlidonli Member
    edited April 2018

@contactwajeeh said:
    Thank you all for giving these wonderful insights so seems like azure is my go to destiny, i will see in to aws and google cloud as well just compare all of them and decide.

If you haven't used Google Cloud yet they give you $300 credit to use in the next year to try it out:

https://cloud.google.com/free/

Digital Ocean gives you $100 credit to use in 60 days:

https://try.digitalocean.com/performance/

• GolbinexGolbinex Member
    edited April 2018

@FHR said:

Jesus, at least 16GB RAM required

I am compiling on my storage VPS with 1 GB ram and 1 CPU. With 32GB swap it is slow but possible.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@FHR said:
    Compilation is a CPU intensive process. You can generally say that better CPU means less time needed, but the server will be more expensive. So it's really up to you how much you want to spend.

I would also opt for SSDs.

I doubt that, based on my own experience I'd say that a sensible amount of memory and a fast ssd are far more important with large projects.

Regarding OPs question it much depends on the required speed of results but generally speaking quite any midsize SSD VPS should work. The major bottleneck will be the hosters tolerance.

• If you need an ARM CPU, scaleway.com has those.