Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any cheap Dedicated server support IRC
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any cheap Dedicated server support IRC

JaiJai Member
edited April 2018 in Requests

Anyone know? thanks

Comments

• what?

• kmaskmas Member

@twiigl said:
    what?

I guess he's looking for a dedi with a provider that allows IRC on it, took me a bit to figure that out too - at first it felt like he needed an IRC channel that'd provide support for his dedi.

Thanked by 2pike MasonR
  • Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

As long as you're not doing anything illegal surely most allow IRC use? Don't tihnk I've read a ToS yet that specifically excludes IRC?

• pikepike Veteran

@Mr_Tom said:
    Don't tihnk I've read a ToS yet that specifically excludes IRC?

There are providers that don't allow IRC because they fear it could be used to control botnets.

• EwokEwok Member

There is a lot of providers that do now allow IRC. So it's very important to make sure your provider does allow it.

• @Mr_Tom said:
    As long as you're not doing anything illegal surely most allow IRC use? Don't tihnk I've read a ToS yet that specifically excludes IRC?

If you use the irc for legit purposes no one is going to care.

There's just a lot of people that use it to attack people with bots. That and sometimes an irc can attract attacks.

• BITWBITW Member

No Illegal or abuse complaints = you are Welcome. Simple as that. :)

Kimsufi mentions IRC, but I can't find any mention in Hetzners ToS.

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

YokedEgg said: If you use the irc for legit purposes no one is going to care.

BITW said: No Illegal or abuse complaints = you are Welcome. Simple as that. :)

Yes, this is how Hetzner Online feels. --Katie, Marketing

• MrMMrM Member

botnet ? hell no sir, hahahaha..

• Why do you want a dedi for IRC ?

Just get an OVH vps and call it a day.

• JaiJai Member

@FredQc said:
    Why do you want a dedi for IRC ?

Just get an OVH vps and call it a day.

Well im trying to use gnuworld irc services

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@pike said:

@Mr_Tom said:
    Don't tihnk I've read a ToS yet that specifically excludes IRC?

There are providers that don't allow IRC because they fear it could be used to control botnets.

Or, you know, it used to be a target back then, to dos someone to drop them off the channel, or to dos the server to cause split, etc.

• pikepike Veteran
    edited April 2018

@Clouvider said:
    Or, you know, it used to be a target back then, to dos someone to drop them off the channel, or to dos the server to cause split, etc.

That's what teamspeak is today.

Those with a mind small enough to ddos random people with their 5$ booter don't know what IRC is these days.

• donlidonli Member

@pike said:

That's what teamspeak is today.

Those with a mind small enough to ddos random people with their 5$ booter don't know what IRC is these days.

Seems that wherever on the Internet humans are interacting with other humans in real time ddoses will follow.

• pike said: There are providers that don't allow IRC because they fear it could be used to control botnets.

Wrong. That was the excuse in the late 90s, early 2000s.

Mr_Tom said: Don't tihnk I've read a ToS yet that specifically excludes IRC?

You're speaking for 99% of users who don't read TOS.

It's a DDOS target and source of shit complaints where bottom dollar customers and bottom dollar problems usually follow along.

• doughmanesdoughmanes Member
    edited April 2018

IRC is the CB radio of the Internet in the world of social media snitch platforms, CEO booster seats in front of Congress, and web 2.0 garbage where you can hear some basement dweller in a squeaky voice say something edgy on Discord when its easier to /ignore on IRC

• erkinerkin Member

If not linked to one of major IRC networks it would not be a problem.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • Jai said: Well im trying to use gnuworld irc services

Compiling the beast could take some CPU power, but after that it's not that bad. It's mostly a prosgresql database. I'm running a gnuworld+ircu setup with a well know LET provider here for 2 years and no problem.

Rule of thumb: just don't be a dick.

• JaiJai Member

What do you use dedi or vps? Frm what hosting

@FredQc said:

Jai said: Well im trying to use gnuworld irc services

Compiling the beast could take some CPU power, but after that it's not that bad. It's mostly a prosgresql database. I'm running a gnuworld+ircu setup with a well know LET provider here for 2 years and no problem.

Rule of thumb: just don't be a dick.

doughmanes said: You're speaking for 99% of users who don't read TOS

True, a lot of people don't - as a general rule I try to. As added kimsufi mention IRC in their ToS, but my general experience is a lot don't mention it (or don't specifically outlaw it) - but I'm new to a lot of LET hosts :)

• If you don't find anybody, check out some IRCD server/shell providers who sometimes have offers of dedicated servers. It's a little bit more than Low End pricing but you'll get the support and experience from them

Thanked by 1Jai