Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any reviews about namesilo? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any reviews about namesilo?

2»

Comments

• Most of my domains are in Namesilo. Save my money when renewing.

• They're one of the best imo. Fast and hasslefree domainmanagement.

• namesilo is solid, but you should try Porkbun.

• +1 namesilo

flat rates, free whois, no hidden fee

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
    edited April 2018

I was an InternetBS user for a long time. Then, like the LowEndWhore that I am, when namecheap had a promo I moved everything there. But their service was kind of meh. When it came time to renew, I moved over to NameSilo and have just renewed again there. They're by no means the fanciest but get the job done with minimal fuss.

Concerns About NameSilo

1. NameSilo banned a bunch of Nazi domains last year. Although I despise Nazis the way Linus despises CVS, I generally disapprove of that kind of thing on free speech grounds.

2. NameSilo was just bought by an investment company a month ago. This makes me concerned they're going to pull back on the free WHOIS protection, etc. in search of profits.

That said, to date I've had no issues with NameSilo so these are just concerns and not actual experiences.

Porkbun

I've had a good experience with Porkbun, though I haven't used them as my main registrar. And I'm biased against them since they're here in Portland ;-) But I have no complaints and @Ross sometimes participates on LET.

• donlidonli Member

@raindog308 said:

1. NameSilo was just bought by an investment company

Well that's unfortunate, thanks for the info.

• I use Namesilo for most TLDs and really like the service. I hope with the acquisition news doesn’t mean a turn for the worse

Thanked by 1geekalot
  • LeviLevi Member

raindog308 said: NameSilo was just bought by an investment company a month ago. This makes me concerned they're going to pull back on the free WHOIS protection, etc. in search of profits.

What?! Thank you for info, transferring domains to Porkbun. Definitely not waiting for internet.bs like fiasco...

• +1 for namesilo. been with them for over a year now. free whois is a plus (i'm a bit concerned now since someone mentioned that they're going to remove this feature)

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

LTniger said: What?! Thank you for info, transferring domains to Porkbun. Definitely not waiting for internet.bs like fiasco...

Just to be clear, NS hasn't announced anything...just a concern because we all know how buyouts often go.

Thanked by 1Shot2
  • isijosamuaisijosamua Member
    edited April 2018

raindog308 said: Just to be clear, NS hasn't announced anything...just a concern because we all know how buyouts often go.

https://www.namesilo.com/Support/Brisio-Acquisition

Let's hope for the best. *fingercrossed

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • erkinerkin Member

I am a happy customer of namesilo.

I gave a chance to littlepigbun when they are really new and from what I experienced that time for me they are f..kbun.

• donlidonli Member

@isijosamua said:

https://www.namesilo.com/Support/Brisio-Acquisition

Let's hope for the best. *fingercrossed

Hey a Canadian penny stock company bought them and is going to take them public - what could go wrong?

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited April 2018

@donli said:

what could go wrong?

Management without any knowledge what their company is doing! I saw a few examples where company been bought and after a few months later under new management is bust.

Prices will be increased as new team want more dosh per domains not per amount of domains.

• used GD but price is high. use namecheap with satisfaction for 7-8years, but transfer too many domains to namesilo. namesilo used for almost 4-5years. lowest price in market for renew too. i am totally satisfied with them as namecheap too.

• couple of domain there,had been more than 3 years with namesilo and zero complaint.

Regarding the acquisition.. just wait and see :)

• tdwuktdwuk Member

I have been with NS for about a year after being with Enom. I agree with the other posts, the simplicity is great, I like the batch tools. NameCheap was a pain as I had 20+ domains there and had to do a lot of individual changes for DNS or transfers.
    I am a bit worried about the "investment". I have an account with PorkBun too so that is another option at a similar price and free whois privacy.

• @raindog308 said:
    Concerns About NameSilo

1. NameSilo banned a bunch of Nazi domains last year. Although I despise Nazis the way Linus despises CVS, I generally disapprove of that kind of thing on free speech grounds.

2. NameSilo was just bought by an investment company a month ago. This makes me concerned they're going to pull back on the free WHOIS protection, etc. in search of profits.

That said, to date I've had no issues with NameSilo so these are just concerns and not actual experiences.

Porkbun

I've had a good experience with Porkbun, though I haven't used them as my main registrar. And I'm biased against them since they're here in Portland ;-) But I have no complaints and @Ross sometimes participates on LET.

Wow, learn something new every day -- I didn't know about the acquisition. Definitely have the antennae up now.

• +1 for NameSilo
    • almost 300 domains with them
    • fixed price + Privacy included is good
    • another part that just works is their API ... especially for LetsEncrypt dns-01 challenge renewals
    • I never like relying on a single provider for anything, so this is more of an excuse to checkout Porkbun
  • Bob199Bob199 Member

This service staffs of this website are newcomers,they don't know much about technique,they are very unprofessional,it consumes hours of your times,and the issues remained. The speed of the hosting is terrible,very slow,and sometimes you can't even access your website. And they may cancel your domains and hosting without notification,STAY AWAY FROM THIS WEBSITE! it is a TOTAL DISASTER since the day you bought products or services from them.

• ITLabsITLabs Member
    edited July 2019

@Bob199 wow necro day my man!

Do they offer support and ticket menu with money back?

Your answers are here => https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/158880/necromancy

Thanked by 1uptime
  • AmitzAmitz Member

Hail Necro-Lord!

Thanked by 2uptime ITLabs
  • uptimeuptime Member

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited July 2019

Well, I renewed one domain, Namesilo had one job, they failed.
    0/10 wont recommend.

Still, I contacted them, they could fix it in about 24 hours, with a bit buffer before the domain expired.
    10/10 I do recommend.

• Good prices with Namesilo. No problems until now.
    Also, ok with Namecheap or Porkbun.

• laobanlaoban Member

I have a couple of domains at namesilo since 5 years ago, and I am happy with it until now.

• Yikes. Old post brought back but while we're on the subject.....

I've run monitors on Namservers for namesilo, porkbun, cloudflare, namecheap, and other dns/registrars.

Namesilo name servers are garbage and go down regularly. They know this which is why they actually raise the ttl to offload dns requests to cached dns providers..

Porkbun Namservers also have downtime but not as bad. Namecheap as well.

Cloudflare caching has issues but their Namservers and DNS service is actually very solid.

Recommendation is to use name silo or porkbun as registrar but not their name servers (DNS)..

Vultr offers now free dns btw as do some other providers here (with their VPS like buyvm).

Thanked by 1uptime