Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RamNode? BuyVM? Want VDS with good CPU
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

RamNode? BuyVM? Want VDS with good CPU

Hi all,

Have been trying to figure how a new host for some months now (yes, months, I've been with NetDepot for ten years so I don't take moving lightly) and have been trying to do my due diligence/research on what to do next. Keep on landing on LET when I do various searches so I've eventually had the bright idea of just asking here to solve my conundrum!

Currently I have a dedicated server with NetDepot, got it (as mentioned) almost ten years ago, opted for all the "buydown" options I could when we ordered and it's served us well and we've had a dedi for $104 a month after the initial painful setup free. Issue is though the chassis is moderately new the drives and the OS are ten years old. Time for a change... and to virtualise. Ten year old OS, how embarassing! (c;

Due to some old Perl scripts running on the box we need something with good CPU power, currently we're running a load somewhere between 1.3 and 1.8 (server has E5620 @ 2.40GHz if that matters).

To get to the point... I've been toying up between a few providers, mainly those mentioned in the topic of the subject -- RamNode and BuyVM. Both seem to be well regarded here and that's one of the main reasons they're on the shortlist.

Due to the aforementioned processor requirements I'm looking at the RamNode VDS and the BuyVM Slice. RamNode always seems to be score well in the processor rankings but BuyVM I've got some hesitation with. I've seen some benchmarks here and on vpsbenchmarks.com that clearly give the lead to RamNode. Generally these are sysbench benchmarks, if I should be putting much stock in them.

Would initially be looking at RamNode 8GB SVDS or BuyVM SLICE 8192... unless someone has a cunning alternative. I want a reliable host but will self-manage the server. Obviously I'm aiming for long tenure wherever I move.

I was leaning toward RamNode, even went as far as trying to order one, but they're always out of stock in NY and their prices have just gone up 25%. BuyVM I like not just because of the price but because of how many upgrade plans there are.

Any suggestions, LET gurus? Is RamNode's CPU that much faster?

Requirements:

VZ: Any but want dedicated cores.

Cores: Whatever can cope with my load, but I'd guess 2 cores.
RAM: 4GB+
Disk: 150GB+ SSD

DDoS: Not required

IPs: 2 would be good but can survive with 1.

Location: US somewhere. I'm in Australia but I realise I probably need to be more concerned about the bulk of the visitors which are in the US and Europe.

Budget: Below my $104 dedi. Preferably well below.

Thanks heaps in advance.

Comments

• @francisco for buyvm.net

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • TionTion Member

If RamNode and BuyVM are the companies on the table I would choose RamNode the only reason being BuyVM had a few problems in the past including an entire SSD raid dying while I haven't heard anything from RamNode in years.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

They both use E3s - for the VDS lineup at Ramnode, and the slice lineup at BuyVM. Performance should be fairly similar in terms of hardware.

Test the networks, play around a bit. You're in good hands either way.

• donlidonli Member

@jase72 said:

I want a reliable host

How reliable?

99.9, 99.95, 99.99? What does downtime cost you?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited April 2018

Tion said: the only reason being BuyVM had a few problems in the past including an entire SSD raid dying

Fair, but our backups worked quite well and we'll be giving free backups on slices soon :) For now we've only done them on OVZ but adding KVM support will be quick once i add user controlled on/off switches.

Slices are excellent with toppings a added bonus if you ever think you'll need more storage.

Francisco

Thanked by 1ferri
  • nullnotherenullnothere Member
    edited April 2018

Since your budget what you currently pay is way over the pricing of both RamNode and BuyVM, why not get one instance with each of them for a month to test out how it works for you/your audience and then decide how to move forward.

Alternatively, you could even have a fail over stack with two of them and have one as a master and periodically sync to the slave and flip in case of any issues.

A month or two of experimentation will help you figure out your own comfort zone and you can take it from there.

You really can't go wrong with either of them as has already been pointed out earlier, but BuyVM does have plenty of room to upgrade as well as offloaded MySQL support (should you need it) and plenty more coming (along with Anycast and what not).

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2018

To be honest, between the 2 you wont be sad either way, its almost like asking someone which family member they love most :)

I believe either will show a huge improvement for your stack performance wise considering what you are coming from.

In your particular case though i would say go with a BuyVM Slice.

The reasoning is that Ramnode don't really have much regular representation here any more, BuyVM is very much in touch with the market and the owner ( @Francisco ) posts here and helps people here out a lot which gives him the edge in terms of who you are dealing with.

Aside from that BuyVM use faster storage than Ramnode iirc and they have anycast options which gives you great scope for expansion in the future to make sure your EU and USA customers get the lowest latency and fastest load times possible.

So its a bit like comparing a 9.9 against 10 from a distance there is nothing in it, but up close for what you need, i would say BuyVM is your best bet.

Thanked by 3kkrajk Junkless yomero
  • Thanks for the responses so quickly, greatly appreciated.

Sounds like there's no concern from the processor perspective, I think I'll have to give BuyVM a go.

If only they had stock. (c;

• MrMMrM Member

buyvm.net Good,

• HxxxHxxx Member

Alternatives,

DigitalOcean, Linode , Vultr

Can't go wrong with any of these.

BuyVM is up there with my favs providers. I love their panel, sense of humor and creativity with their services. Slices are good.

Thanked by 1Tumbleguy1
  • FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

Hxxx said: DigitalOcean, Linode , Vultr

He said he wants a good CPU.

• GamerGamer Member

Anyone else seeing discounted prices when ordering slices from buyvm? I'm seeing like a 40% discount off slices?

• donlidonli Member
    edited April 2018

@Gamer said:
    Anyone else seeing discounted prices when ordering slices from buyvm? I'm seeing like a 40% discount off slices?

You see a sliced slice price? Are you sure it's not because we're in the middle of the month and they are charging you for a partial month?

• GamerGamer Member
    edited April 2018

@donli said:

@Gamer said:

You see a sliced slice price? Are you sure it's not because we're in the middle of the month and they are charging you for a partial month?

Ahh... Indeed, this seems to be the case. Thanks

• Side note both are great but why not a Kimsufi?

• @YokedEgg said:
    Side note both are great but why not a Kimsufi?

He needs a good cpu. Also he wants good support for his slice. Ovh cloud might be a better option.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited April 2018

AnthonySmith said: its almost like asking someone which family member they love most

I know some of my friends that could answer to this question ;)

To answer to OP now, both providers are really good. If I had to chose between them, I would chose Fransisco's BuyVM because he is not only very active to LET, but by his activity is willing to help people that faces problems or have questions, regardless if they are his clients or not. And he has a very good and quick support on site or even here (on the other hand, I had services with ramnode until a couple of weeks and never had to open a ticket for an issue with them).

Now, if you want some more options, you can either try Netcup's root servers (vps with dedicated cpus), or try the new hetzner cloud line (I am really impressed with the speed and solidness of their servers, I grabbed a couple of them a month ago and their performance is top-notch).

P.S.: have you thought trying @AnthonySmith 's vms? he is one of the most respective providers I have used with excellent services, and a pretty good support, too! IDK if he is currently have any services that fit your needs, but do have a look at his website, too!

Thanked by 1Francisco

jvnadr said: P.S.: have you thought trying @AnthonySmith 's vms? he is one of the most respective providers I have used with excellent services, and a pretty good support, too! IDK if he is currently have any services that fit your needs, but do have a look at his website, too!

Appreciated, I don't offer dedicated cores (yet) though.

• hiphiphip0hiphiphip0 Member
    edited April 2018

@Francisco said:

Tion said: the only reason being BuyVM had a few problems in the past including an entire SSD raid dying

Fair, but our backups worked quite well and we'll be giving free backups on slices soon :) For now we've only done them on OVZ but adding KVM support will be quick once i add user controlled on/off switches.

Slices are excellent with toppings a added bonus if you ever think you'll need more storage.

Francisco

That's great. Could you please add some tutorials about how to expand disk after upgrade slice plans? Both Windows and Linux.

@hiphiphip0 said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

That's great. Could you please add some tutorials about how to expand disk after upgrade slice plans? Both Windows and Linux.

Sure I can look into that :) we almost always grow drives for clients automagically anyway.

Francisco

• AnthonySmith said: Appreciated, I don't offer dedicated cores (yet) though.

Well, for some reason I thought that you offer dedicated cores! As i understand, you are on the route to add this to your product line?

jvnadr said: As i understand, you are on the route to add this to your product line?

Yes by the end of the year.

Thanked by 1jvnadr
  • among these two, I will go with BuyVM any day, because of the support Francisco provides. Really love the guy.

Thanked by 2Francisco cfgguy

@Junkless said:
    among these two, I will go with BuyVM any day, because of the support Francisco provides. Really love the guy.

Thanks Bae.

Francisco

• NdhaNdha Member

BuyVM all the way..

Eh i just realize Ramnode price for vds now become $50..

@Ndha said:

>

Oh, yeah, they got rid of the $20/4GB option. Welp, BuyVM was already cheaper and now it's way cheaper.

• NdhaNdha Member

@Harambe said:

@Ndha said:

>

Oh, yeah, they got rid of the $20/4GB option. Welp, BuyVM was already cheaper and now it's way cheaper.

It's $40 before, maybe because Supply and Demand,

lot of request from users and they usually OOS for VDS,

so Nick decide to up it little bit and got more revenue,

just my silly 2 cent :3

Ndha said: It's $40 before, maybe because Supply and Demand,

$40 previously for the 8GB, I was talking about the $20 4GB option that's gone but was there before: https://web.archive.org/web/20180122015143/http://ramnode.com/vds.php

Thanked by 1Ndha
  • @francisco just wondering whether the dedicated cores are physical cores or vcores

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

@kkrajk said:
    @francisco just wondering whether the dedicated cores are physical cores or vcores

Dedicated threads

Thanked by 1kkrajk