Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

looking for E5-2667v4 dedicated server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

looking for E5-2667v4 dedicated server

sirrobinsirrobin Member
edited April 2018 in Requests

not really lowend, looking for an approx quote for these specs. happy to do 12 month agreement. location must be EU (ideally NL or Germany)

CPU: 2x E5-2667v4
64GB RAM
SSD 500 GB
SAS HDD 500GB
Windows Server 2016
SQL Server 2016 Standard

not a lot of bandwidth required, server will run databases

Comments

• How about Hetzner's AX or PX line?

• @graphic said:
    How about Hetzner's AX or PX line?

unfortunately couldnt find anything with E5-2667v4 on Hetzner

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Expensive CPUs and a short contract. May I know the budget and whether you'd consider a relatively high setup fee?

• @Clouvider said:
    Expensive CPUs and a short contract. May I know the budget and whether you'd consider a relatively high setup fee?

i'm open to a longer contract and setup fee. my expectations are realistic

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Would the Xeon E5-2687W v4 not work better for you at a slightly lower price ?

A

• Leaseweb have CPU you need. Consider also online.net offer unless you need really high single core performance. Hetzner ax line epyc CPU should be more powerfull than dual 2667v4. Keep in mind that according to DE law and hetzner TOS you can break contract in max 14 days as far as i remember and dont pay anything(that's what i did) so you could test AMD epyc for free. Contract hetzner for confirmation.

• @sirrobin said:

@graphic said:
    How about Hetzner's AX or PX line?

unfortunately couldnt find anything with E5-2667v4 on Hetzner

Sure but same power. I can't imagine that you need especially this cpu.
    An AMD EPYC would just run fine with database workload.

• That's a lot of high - Ghz threads for not a lot of ram. (as DBs go)

I guess you know the scalability characteristics of SQL server 2016 better than me.

That's still 4xE3 real cores : does your worst case workload really use more than 2xE3 worth of cores when IOwait isn't slowing you down ?

• ZareZare Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2018

Can offer 2 x E5-2650v4 (24 cores and 48 threads), 64GB RAM, 2 x 500GB SSD (up to 6), 1Gbps port, 100TB traffic for £275 excluding licenses and VAT. I know the GHz is quite lot lower, but thought i'd throw it out there.

Willing to also look into dual E5-2667v4, but it would include a setup and higher MRC.

• sirrobin said:

64GB RAM

If your application requires this (can't make do with a lesser cpu or more parallelism) you are probably doing something silly.

• @willie said:

sirrobin said:

64GB RAM

If your application requires this (can't make do with a lesser cpu or more parallelism) you are probably doing something silly.

Or, OP could design his solution around a cluster of smaller servers that scales better. MS SQL Server 2016 has excellent cluster support AFAIK.

• saibal said:

Or, OP could design his solution around a cluster of smaller servers that scales better. MS SQL Server 2016 has excellent cluster support AFAIK.

Yeah that's what I mean by parallelism. Databases are usually bottlenecked by ram rather than cpu. So if OP requires a monster CPU with comparatively small ram, I have to wonder what the application is doing.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Oops missed the part in the parenthesis. Friday afternoon LOL.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

willie said: I have to wonder what the application is doing.

Francisco

• @willie said:

Yeah that's what I mean by parallelism. Databases are usually bottlenecked by ram rather than cpu. So if OP requires a monster CPU with comparatively small ram, I have to wonder what the application is doing.

Could be running machine Learning based models. In that case faster CPU with multiple cores is preferred

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • williewillie Member
    edited April 2018

dev_vps said: Could be running machine Learning based models. In that case faster CPU with multiple cores is preferred

1. That's not a database. It's especially not SQL Sever 2016.

2. Everyone uses GPUs for that.

• dev_vpsdev_vps Member
    edited April 2018

@willie said:

dev_vps said: Could be running machine Learning based models. In that case faster CPU with multiple cores is preferred

1. That's not a database. It's especially not SQL Sever 2016.

2. Everyone uses GPUs for that.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/advanced-analytics/r/sql-server-r-services-performance-tuning?view=sql-server-2017

https://8gportalvhdsf9v440s15hrt.blob.core.windows.net/ignite2017/session-presentations/BRK3261.PPTX

Thanked by 1willie
  • @Zare said:
    Can offer 2 x E5-2650v4 (24 cores and 48 threads), 64GB RAM, 2 x 500GB SSD (up to 6), 1Gbps port, 100TB traffic for £275 excluding licenses and VAT. I know the GHz is quite lot lower, but thought i'd throw it out there.

Willing to also look into dual E5-2667v4, but it would include a setup and higher MRC.

if you can give me a ballpark figure for config with E5-2667v4 that would be great thanks

• sirrobinsirrobin Member
    edited April 2018

@vimalware said:
    That's a lot of high - Ghz threads for not a lot of ram. (as DBs go)

I guess you know the scalability characteristics of SQL server 2016 better than me.

That's still 4xE3 real cores : does your worst case workload really use more than 2xE3 worth of cores when IOwait isn't slowing you down ?

i do agree that the cpu is a bit on the overkill side (though there will be other stuff running besides sql server on it), but these are the minimum requirements i have been given by a software vendor, and we are willing to bear the cost

• sirrobin said: these are the minimum requirements i have been given by a software vendor

Vendor is insane. What is the product that supposedly requires this cpu?

• deankdeank Member, Troll

That's minimum requirements? Forget them.

And here I thought you were going for maximum requirements.

• @sirrobin said: these are the minimum requirements i have been given by a software vendor

Could we know who the vendor is?

• Your choices for brand new hardware like that are buy+colo or a huge setup fee like @clouvider mentioned.

I'd wager it's not a chip model that rental dedi providers stock in Europe.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • @saibal said:

@sirrobin said: these are the minimum requirements i have been given by a software vendor

Could we know who the vendor is?

its someone like amadeus (the travel industry platform)