Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Europe dumps 300,000 UK-owned .EU domains into the Brexit bin - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Europe dumps 300,000 UK-owned .EU domains into the Brexit bin

2»

Comments

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

randvegeta said: Now I bought the car in part because I knew I would get these perks/benefits, but I have no expectation that it will last forever!

Equally as the .EU registrant at the time, to show their connection with the EU, registrant shouldn't have an expectation that this club perk will last upon their country's exit from the club.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • TionTion Member

@randvegeta said:
    Okay, lets talk hypothetically. Would it be fair to take away the land or property away from owners because of a change in 'citizenship'?

>

Terrible comparison since you rent a domain which becomes your posession but never your property.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • angstromangstrom Moderator

I think that one can safely say that the pains of Brexit will be much greater than the non-possibility of renewing around 300 000 .eu domains.

Thanked by 2Clouvider Aidan
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

sunk, getting a bit to political.

• ZerpyZerpy Member

@AnthonySmith said:

Brexit is all about politics :-) such surprise.

edited March 2018

Zerpy said: Brexit is all about politics :-) such surprise.

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/137719/lowendtalk-community-rules/p1

Tired Threads

These threads are either played out (nothing new to say) or tend to generate more heat than light. Think carefully before wading into them.

• The ethics of copyright in the digital age, the ethics of torrenting, BLAH BLAH freaking BLAH MAKE IT STOP.
    • Gun control.
    • Political debates, this candidate or party vs. that, etc. We're in different countries, for pity's sake.

This had a chance to be more about the domain side of things, perhaps it was optimistic to think that could happen, given that this thread has been reported a number of times now, it is sunk, you are welcome to continue, it will not be bumped up though.

edit: Still interesting either way.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@AnthonySmith said:

Fair enough.

At least for me, the problem was that the article (in the Register) cited by the OP was needlessly dramatic/hysterical to begin with.

angstrom said: Fair enough.

At least for me, the problem was that the article (in the Register) cited by the OP was needlessly dramatic/hysterical to begin with.

Yep, I mean its not an aggressively night vs day political thread so it can continue, just for those that are interested it will sink so those that are not do not have to deal with the walls of text :)

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2018

@Tion said:

@randvegeta said:
    Okay, lets talk hypothetically. Would it be fair to take away the land or property away from owners because of a change in 'citizenship'?

>

Terrible comparison since you rent a domain which becomes your posession but never your property.

Not really. In Hong Kong for example, all land belongs to the government and people just lease it. This despite HK having the most expensive property in the world. Besides, once you have a domain, its not treated as a leased asset, but actually in many cases like property. They are bought and sold, and rights to domains is very much like rights to property.

In any case, I already said they are NOT the same, but they are not totally dissimilar.

Edit:
    I forgot to mention that most flats/apartments in the UK are also leaseholds, so again similar.

• Just become an e-Resident of Estonia and set up a company in Estonia. Job done.

• I have mixed feelings about this subject but I can understand it from the EU point of view. It's not a big deal though. Just use a trustee service and be done with it.

Thanked by 2Clouvider angstrom
  • @randvegeta said:
    Takeing away 300K domains from Brits is just stupid and vindictive. Maybe it would be okay to restrict NEW registrations, but to refuse renewals? That's wrong IMO.

After brexit, brits no longer fit the criteria, just like Japanese or Americans don't fit the criteria now.

It's not vindictive at all.

• 404error said: It's not vindictive at all.

As the article explains, it's not usual practice. TLD eligibility rules change all the time. Normally, when there's a change, people who got in under the old rule can keep their existing domains even if they become ineligible to get new ones.