Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I can't understand for dns about how can I work it that confuse Name Server.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I can't understand for dns about how can I work it that confuse Name Server.

karistuckkaristuck Member
edited May 2013 in Help

For example I have AAA.com domain.

I want make dns server ns1.aaa.com, ns2.aaa.com on vps(1.1.1.1).

Can I make dns server ns3.aaa.com, ns4.aaa.com another vps(2.2.2.2) ?

How can I setup for my domain(aaa.com) connect to name server?

Comments

• NoermanNoerman Member

How many server is that?

Is 1.1.1.1 in the same server as 2.2.2.2

• IntcsIntcs Member

@karistuck said: I want make dns server ns1.aaa.com, ns2.aaa.com on vps(1.1.1.1).
    Can I make dns server ns3.aaa.com, ns4.aaa.com another vps(2.2.2.2) ?

Maybe it's better if you placed ns1 on 1.1.1.1 and ns2 on 2.2.2.2, means 2 shall be enough since you are running them on two servers.

@karistuck said: How can I setup for my domain(aaa.com) connect to name server?

The way might differ a little depending on domain being with which registrar, but you'll just have to enter them in domain control area after logging in to registrar, by adding ns1 and IP it points to, ns2 and IP it points to, etc.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2013
    1. setup both DNS servers (vm1 [1.2.3.4] and vm2 [2.3.4.5]) - vm1 as primary, vm2 as slave (I'll skip DNS server setup - depends from what you are going to use)
    2. create zone for your domain example.com
    3. add two A records: ns1.example.com pointing to 1.2.3.4 and ns2.example.com pointing to 2.3.4.5
    4. configure your zone to use NS records: ns1.example.com and ns2.example.com
    5. with your registrar (the place where you bought your domain) add two GLUE records: ns1.example.com pointing to 1.2.3.4 and ns2.example.com pointing to 2.3.4.5
    6. let's say that you want to use vm1 as your WWW server - add following records: A record example.com pointing to 1.2.3.4 and CNAME www.example.com pointing to example.com
    7. let's say that you want to use vm2 as your MAIL server - add following records:
      A record mail.example.com pointing to 2.3.4.5 and MX example.com pointing to mail.example.com with priority 10
  • @Noerman said: How many server is that?

Is 1.1.1.1 in the same server as 2.2.2.2

I have two vps. Each vps want setup for ns1, ns2!

@Intcs said: The way might differ a little depending on domain being with which registrar, but you'll just have to enter them in domain control area after logging in to registrar, by adding ns1 and IP it points to, ns2 and IP it points to, etc.

Is right?

http://pic.twitter.com/cn4q1NUKwI

• @gbshouse said: setup both DNS servers (vm1 [1.2.3.4] and vm2 [2.3.4.5]) - vm1 as primary, vm2 as slave (I'll skip DNS server setup - depends from what you are going to use)

create zone for your domain example.com
    add two A records: ns1.example.com pointing to 1.2.3.4 and ns2.example.com pointing to 2.3.4.5
    configure your zone to use NS records: ns1.example.com and ns2.example.com
    with your registrar (the place where you bought your domain) add two GLUE records: ns1.example.com pointing to 1.2.3.4 and ns2.example.com pointing to 2.3.4.5
    let's say that you want to use vm1 as your WWW server - add following records: A record example.com pointing to 1.2.3.4 and CNAME www.example.com pointing to example.com
    let's say that you want to use vm2 as your MAIL server - add following records:
    A record mail.example.com pointing to 2.3.4.5 and MX example.com pointing to mail.example.com with priority 10

@Zen said: Yes.

Than I have ccc.com domain point to ns1.aa.com, ns2.aaa.com. Is right?

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

If you want to use ns1/ns2.example.com as NS for your other domains - yes.

• @gbshouse said: If you want to use ns1/ns2.example.com as NS for your other domains - yes.

I was setup for domain(1.1.1.1 and 1.1.1.2 is same vps)

gaehost.com(DNS)(MX) was point to IP Address (A-Record): 1.1.1.1

ns1.gaehost.com(DNS)(MX) was point to IP Address (A-Record): 1.1.1.1

ns2.gaehost.com(DNS)(MX) was point to IP Address (A-Record): 1.1.1.2

Because 1and1.com have not zone editor. :(

• @karistuck try to use registrar to handle your DNS zone. Does not mean you need to use their DNS how ever
    Just make sure like @gbshouse is telling you to register name servers with your registrar first I think the rest would agree
    This is better for you over managing through any shell