Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whats is your anti ad solution? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Whats is your anti ad solution?

2»

Comments

• quickquick Member
    edited March 2018

Just for youtubers: Look for OGYoutube for android devices. Using it since 1 month, didn't see 1 ad.

• @Ole_Juul said:

Tion said: people who honestly think

nasty lot

Realistically as population grows, and the possibility of having to live in small confined, manufactured spaces (i.e. permanent space station, manufactured home on mars), VR becomes more of a necessity. More so than just gaming.

• I run ab-solution on my Asus 68u router and nano adblocker on desktop and laptop to catch elements that bypass.

• CrandolphCrandolph Member
    edited March 2018

@AlexJones said:
    I run ab-solution on my Asus 68u router and nano adblocker on desktop and laptop to catch elements that bypass.

Got the same router. Amazing router, it has native OpenVPN functionality too which I love.

Got it for 60 bucks too, T-Mobile (same one I have) used to hand them out for their hotspots I think, so the market is flooded right now.

• @Crandolph said:

@AlexJones said:
    I run ab-solution on my Asus 68u router and nano adblocker on desktop and laptop to catch elements that bypass.

Got the same router. Amazing router, it has native OpenVPN functionality too which I love.

Got it for 60 bucks too, T-Mobile (same one I have) used to hand them out for their hotspots I think, so the market is flooded right now.

I noticed the existence of the T-Mobile one after I had purchased the router off Amazon. :/

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@elliotc said:
    What about mobile solutions? ublock also?

Brave browser (iOS). I bought Wipr which works in Safari, but it's pretty shit.

• bapbap Member

uBlock Origin for sh1tty pop up ads

• WSSWSS Member

@Janevski said:
    Traditional ads will be a thing of the past when we finally invent a more effective method of brainwashing.

I guess you've missed the last 20 years of political "humor".

• jlayjlay Member
    edited March 2018

I run two instances of pi-hole as local DNS servers/forwarders (one VM on each hypervisor, two for redundancy) that blocks ad domain hostnames. It provides the ability to use different lists and I've built on top of this. Any systems that use the network benefit from this (mobile phones, game consoles, etc) as long as they're configured to use them for DSN resolution (either via DHCP or statically). This gives you a nice web UI and some fun statistics on how many ads are blocked and so on. Also helps improve DNS query performance due to the caching offered.

In my browsers - uBlock origin, adblock plus, and only permitting trusted JS for everything else.

I strongly dislike advertising because the signal to noise ratio is awful - most things advertised I'm not interested in or already know about, so I try to eradicate everything and have done fairly well.

Thanked by 2Aidan daxterfellowes
  • ublock for browser

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

None

• @jlay said:
    I run two instances of pi-hole as local DNS servers/forwarders (one VM on each hypervisor, two for redundancy) that blocks ad domain hostnames.

Is two necessary in your case? I do have three RPis, two of which are not doing anything. I have noticed that sometimes DNS resolution can take a bit to come back up after a reboot. Is the plusses worth maintaining two instances?

• uBlock Origin

• uBlock on pc and pi-hole on mobile.

• jlayjlay Member
    edited March 2018

@daxterfellowes said:

@jlay said:
    I run two instances of pi-hole as local DNS servers/forwarders (one VM on each hypervisor, two for redundancy) that blocks ad domain hostnames.

Is two necessary in your case? I do have three RPis, two of which are not doing anything. I have noticed that sometimes DNS resolution can take a bit to come back up after a reboot. Is the plusses worth maintaining two instances?

Not really necessary, it's just so I've got at least one instance running in case one of my hypervisors loses networking/power/something else. I try to have redundancy everywhere possible. For the most part they run without any maintenance - I've got them automatically updating packages/pihole itself, and they monitor for changes to a host list I've set up and when that gets updated, so do the policies on the instances.

I don't think there's much added difficulty to having two, but there's also not a whole lot gained aside from potential reliability honestly. With that said, I do intend to deploy this on Kubernetes so I've always got a set number of redundant instances running... It's excessive but a fun project if nothing else!

• HxxxHxxx Member

none of your business to be honest.

Thanked by 2quick dedotatedwam
  • bersybersy Member

ublock origin

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

ublock with easylist+easyprivacy

• NomadNomad Member
    edited March 2018

Pfsense + pfblockerng with lots of block lists and dnsbl + shadowsocks proxy behind it for my unrooted phone.

Or Softether instead of Shadowsocks for other platforms.

++ uBlock origin on Chrome and Firefox

• emghemgh Member

@Hxxx said:
    none of your business to be honest.

Go. Away.

Thanked by 1bersy
  • on PC: uBlock, Privacy Badger, Popup Blocker and Ghostery

• sonicsonic Veteran

Pihole