Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Small VPS for Discord Bot
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Small VPS for Discord Bot

EdmondEdmond Member
edited March 2018 in Requests

Hey everyone, I just need a cheap VPS to run a few Discord bots. It does use CPU, so CPU cores needs to be strong enough to handle the load.

VZ Type: OVZ

CPU Cores: 2 preferred, might be able to live with 1 if it's over 3.5GHz.
RAM: 512MB - 1GB
Disk: 10GB HDD
Bandwidth: Min. 1TB @ 100mbps, preferred if it was 2TB
IPs: 1 IPv4

I don't need DDoS protection and location doesn't really matter. Budget is below $15/yr, the lower the better. Thanks for your help!

Thanked by 1bugrakoc

Comments

• MrHMrH Member

It's SinusBot?

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

AlphaVPS's cyber monday deal is still on -- 1GB VPS for 12 eur/yr with a few different locations to choose from. I have the same plan in NY for a little over a year now, no complaints.

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/131177/alphavps-crazy-openvz-and-kvm-deals-for-cybermonday

• @MrH said:
    It's SinusBot?

Nope, friend wants it for a custom coded one. Do note that it does use Youtube-DL for music downloading hence the cpu usage.

• Edmond said: It does use CPU

Crap, if your bot requires millions of cycles just to PRINT AND READ TEXT, something must be wrong.

Do you know how much cpu it actually uses?

• @duckeeyuck said:

Edmond said: It does use CPU

Crap, if your bot requires millions of cycles just to PRINT AND READ TEXT, something must be wrong.

Do you know how much cpu it actually uses?

The only thing that's cpu consuming is when it pulls music off of youtube with youtube-dl. I think, for the music downloading part, it's roughly similiar to what Sinusbot does. Nothing else uses cpu anyway, so it's really just spikes whenever. As long as it's stronger than an Alpharack Black Friday deal (that failed miserably, don't know why I took my chances on that), it'll work, but I'd like if it was decently fast enough.

• Edmond said: The only thing that's cpu consuming is when it pulls music off of youtube with youtube-dl. I think, for the music downloading part, it's roughly similiar to what Sinusbot does. Nothing else uses cpu anyway, so it's really just spikes whenever. As long as it's stronger than an Alpharack Black Friday deal (that failed miserably, don't know why I took my chances on that), it'll work, but I'd like if it was decently fast enough.

Don't see why youtuble-dl could cause so much troube lol, gl tho, I recommend scaleway when it comes to that, I've kept stable loads of 1.0-1.5 for a day so.... I don't see why you couldn't.

• kmaskmas Member
    edited March 2018

You can get 512MB RAM and 1TB bandwidth for $7 or 1GB RAM and 2TB bandwidth for $15 at HiFormance: https://my.hiformance.com/cart.php?gid=22

Unfortunately both plans only include 1 CPU core. I'm not sure if all of their nodes running these are the same, but I have one of the $7 ones in Chicago and it's on a CPU with exactly 3.5GHz (E3-1270v3). If you're willing to pay for 3 years in advance, they do have this offer: "Pre-pay 3-years to get double CPU, memory, SSD or IP address!"

• EdmondEdmond Member
    edited March 2018

@kmas said:
    You can get 512MB RAM and 1TB bandwidth for $7 or 1GB RAM and 2TB bandwidth for $15 at HiFormance: https://my.hiformance.com/cart.php?gid=22

Unfortunately both plans only include 1 CPU core. I'm not sure if all of their nodes running these are the same, but I have one of the $7 ones in Chicago and it's on a CPU with exactly 3.5GHz (E3-1270v3). If you're willing to pay for 3 years in advance, they do have this offer: "Pre-pay 3-years to get double CPU, memory, SSD or IP address!"

Thanks for the offer. Unfortunately, that's way out of my budget for what I'm looking to run. The CPU speed is approximate, so I could work with something lower if required so please let me know if you got something cheaper!

@duckeeyuck said:

Edmond said: The only thing that's cpu consuming is when it pulls music off of youtube with youtube-dl. I think, for the music downloading part, it's roughly similiar to what Sinusbot does. Nothing else uses cpu anyway, so it's really just spikes whenever. As long as it's stronger than an Alpharack Black Friday deal (that failed miserably, don't know why I took my chances on that), it'll work, but I'd like if it was decently fast enough.

Don't see why youtuble-dl could cause so much troube lol, gl tho, I recommend scaleway when it comes to that, I've kept stable loads of 1.0-1.5 for a day so.... I don't see why you couldn't.

Hmm... if the cpu usage still can't be contained on a VPS, I'll consider Scaleway's C1 server and run it. But I'm still on the search for something cheaper for now.

@hostdare @AlexBarakov do you have anything below $15/yr that you could set me up with please?

• kmaskmas Member
    edited March 2018

@Edmond said:
    Thanks for the offer. Unfortunately, that's way out of my budget for what I'm looking to run. The CPU speed is approximate, so I could work with something lower if required so please let me know if you got something cheaper!

Not sure how those are "way out of your budget". You've written $15 as the budget in the OP and the plans I mentioned are $7 and $15. If these really are way out of your budget though, I don't think you can find anything with your required specifications for significantly less.

• @kmas said:

@Edmond said:

Not sure how those are "way out of your budget". You've written $15 as the budget in the OP and the plans I mentioned are $7 and $15. If these really are way out of your budget though, I don't think you can find anything with your required specifications for significantly less.

Yes, but what I wrote was $15 per year. At that price point, I'd just hop on vmhaus or buyvm and I'll have my problem solved and it's still cheaper. But I'm looking for rates in the lower end of LET, like what Mason suggested above. Just that I like having more than one option to compare with.

• @Edmond IIRC the Black Friday promos were removed from VMHaus. $15/yr will only get you 5 GB NVMe + 256 MB RAM.

• kmaskmas Member
    edited March 2018

@Edmond said:
    Yes, but what I wrote was $15 per year. At that price point, I'd just hop on vmhaus or buyvm and I'll have my problem solved and it's still cheaper. But I'm looking for rates in the lower end of LET, like what Mason suggested above. Just that I like having more than one option to compare with.

Those are yearly prices. Sorry for the misunderstanding, I probably should have mentioned it, but I guess I assumed it would be obvious since yearly pricing is requested.

• @doghouch said:
    @Edmond IIRC the Black Friday promos were removed from VMHaus. $15/yr will only get you 5 GB NVMe + 256 MB RAM.

Oh no, I meant that if I was going to pay $15/mo, I'd just go with VMHaus and still solve my problem at a way cheaper rate.

@kmas said:

@Edmond said:

Those are yearly prices. Sorry for the misunderstanding, I probably should have mentioned it, but I guess I assumed it would be obvious since yearly pricing is requested.

Oh my bad, sorry about that. Something to consider against AlphaVPS. Would go for HiFormance haven't really heard of the company anyway and to get their bonus, it's three year upfront.