Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Server build question
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Server build question

HashTagHashTag Member
edited March 2018 in General

Does anyone know a place I can colo a tower for mc hosting?

I am building a

i7-7700k
500gb ssd
1050 ti gfx card
650w gold psu
atx mid tower build case
16gb ddr4

I'm looking for a place to colo this need a 650w power outlet.

Does anyone know how much potentially I can rent this server out per month for?

I plan to start a small game hosting service not a company because I'm not ready for that yet. I just need a good network with ddos protection and a few ip's nothing major. I have a regular 9-5 so anything under $150 per month for colo would work. I've already spend about $1,500 building this so I want to keep cost pretty low monthly.

Comments

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

tower colo is much rarer than standard rack servers. You will pay more for this.

I'm not quite sure you fully thought this through, starting this service.

• @Awmusic12635 said:
    tower colo is much rarer than standard rack servers. You will pay more for this.

Any tower colo under $100/month would be good for me and I can support that for at least a year.

• @HashTag said:

@Awmusic12635 said:

Any tower colo under $100/month would be good for me and I can support that for at least a year.

I seem to remember that @randvegeta mentioned that they are hosting towers in at least some locations.

• Your tower doesn't use 650w continously, more like around 100w with the cpu on full-blast and 200-250w with the cpu+gpu on full blast. This should be around 0.5-1A in any area with 230v outlets, and 1-2A in 110V outlet areas.

Furthermore, shipping a tower with the gpu plugged in is just waiting for disaster to happen, and you haven't specified a location (USA or EU would already narrow it down quite dramatically).

Hosting minecraft by default requires you to add some ddos-protection, as the game seems to be geared towards "kids with parent's credit card", who tend to buy some booter capacity the moment any admin makes an unfavourable decision.

As said above: Try to fit such a system in a 2U case and your colo rates might drop quite a bit.

Thanked by 1HashTag
  • randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

bsdguy said: I seem to remember that @randvegeta mentioned that they are hosting towers in at least some locations

Thanks for tagging.

Well technically we will colo towers in both HK and LT, but in HK, we will assume the tower will not exceed the space normally occupied by a 4U server. So if it's larger then it will count as at least 6U.

In LT we can host 'unlimited' servers of any size really. People were joking about sending in giant towers with nothing but a Raspberry Pi in it, which we would be fine with.

For a 4U/Tower, in HK, the <$150 /month (assuming we're talking USD here) could be possible depending on bandwidth requirements. 650 watts I assume is the max, not continuous.

In LT, everything is cheaper (except IPs). We can do tower colo for less than 50 EUR /month depending on bandwidth. But at 50 EUR (US$62), we could include the following:

Colo Space (Any size)
    200 watts average power
    Cooling
    1 IPv4 Address
    /64 IPv6 Subnet
    100Mbit Port
    3TB Traffic

For more IPs, more bandwidth, more power, etc. The price would be higher

DDoS Protection also available (upto 1.5TBps protection).

Additional power could be charged at 0.12 EUR /kwh, which is pretty much US$10 per 100 watts. So if the OP really needs 650 watts, then he would need +450 watts, which would add $45-50 to the monthly fee.

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

HashTag said: Any tower colo under $100/month would be good for me and I can support that for at least a year.

Do you have any location requirements?

USA? EU?

As with @teamacc mentioned, if you're running Minecraft, or gameservers of any kind really, DDoS Protection is a good idea. But with games, you normally want to keep the latency down, so location may be important.

• georgedatacentergeorgedatacenter Member, Patron Provider

Maybe Reliablesite?

• georgedatacentergeorgedatacenter Member, Patron Provider

@georgedatacenter said:
    Maybe Reliablesite?

Check the costs there, but colocation maybe Choopa

I can help you, they have good prices.

• @teamacc said:
    Your tower doesn't use 650w continously, more like around 100w with the cpu on full-blast and 200-250w with the cpu+gpu on full blast. This should be around 0.5-1A in any area with 230v outlets, and 1-2A in 110V outlet areas.

Furthermore, shipping a tower with the gpu plugged in is just waiting for disaster to happen, and you haven't specified a location (USA or EU would already narrow it down quite dramatically).

Hosting minecraft by default requires you to add some ddos-protection, as the game seems to be geared towards "kids with parent's credit card", who tend to buy some booter capacity the moment any admin makes an unfavourable decision.

As said above: Try to fit such a system in a 2U case and your colo rates might drop quite a bit.

What case do you see fit for me to use?

• What is the point of having a 1050 ti (a gpu in general) in a system for mc hosting? I don't know why you have a 650w psu but your system will run at ~200w (including the gpu). If you plan to be a summer host at least do a bit of research instead of coming to LET and pretty much ask for "I want to be a summerhost plz help me"... If you really plan to host mc servers get ready to buy extra ram because minecraft can take up a lot of ram really quick (with mods). It's a harsh market to enter because of the many hosts that are already well established.

Thanked by 2Aidan sithrebel15
  • CrandolphCrandolph Member
    edited March 2018

@Vinnyletje said:
    What is the point of having a 1050 ti (a gpu in general) in a system for mc hosting? I don't know why you have a 650w psu but your system will run at ~200w (including the gpu). If you plan to be a summer host at least do a bit of research instead of coming to LET and pretty much ask for "I want to be a summerhost plz help me"... If you really plan to host mc servers get ready to buy extra ram because minecraft can take up a lot of ram really quick (with mods). It's a harsh market to enter because of the many hosts that are already well established.

Step 1: sell pointless 1050ti on ebay.

Step 2: use 1050ti to pay colo costs for a month, maybe.

Thanked by 1Vinnyletje
  • @georgedatacenter said:

@georgedatacenter said:
    Maybe Reliablesite?

Check the costs there, but colocation maybe Choopa

I can help you, they have good prices.

Thank you will check them out.

@Vinnyletje said:
    What is the point of having a 1050 ti (a gpu in general) in a system for mc hosting? I don't know why you have a 650w psu but your system will run at ~200w (including the gpu). If you plan to be a summer host at least do a bit of research instead of coming to LET and pretty much ask for "I want to be a summerhost plz help me"... If you really plan to host mc servers get ready to buy extra ram because minecraft can take up a lot of ram really quick (with mods). It's a harsh market to enter because of the many hosts that are already well established.

You basically mentioned the same thing @teamaac said, also I never asked how to be a host this server is generally for friends but id like to explore what hosting for others has to offer. Aside from that thanks for no real advice.

@randvegeta said:

HashTag said: Any tower colo under $100/month would be good for me and I can support that for at least a year.

Do you have any location requirements?

USA? EU?

As with @teamacc mentioned, if you're running Minecraft, or gameservers of any kind really, DDoS Protection is a good idea. But with games, you normally want to keep the latency down, so location may be important.

Anywhere in the US should be fine for me either preferred mid west.

@Awmusic12635 said:

True I'm still panning a few things out its nothing immediate. I plan to do a bit more research before jumping into anything. This is only my first build ill most likely host friends on it and see the stability and up time of the server and how I do managing it. This will most likely take a few months. I'm surely not going to see anything to anyone without being sure its at 100%.

• Joe's DC is $70 a month for a full tower iirc. Network is shite though.

Also are you planning on mining or some type of neural net/deep learning? Don't see why you need the GPU if you aren't and you'll need to pay out the ass for the extra power wherever you go.

• PhotonVPSPhotonVPS Member, Host Rep

Get a shelf since provider will require you to have rails/shelves for your equipment.

Thanked by 1HashTag