Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any UI/UX Designers here?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any UI/UX Designers here?

I have a small personal project/game I'm working on, and I'd love some input from a UI/UX designer. Free chatting/taking a peek and giving me your thoughts is much appreciated. If you're only taking on paid work, please PM me your rates and a portfolio.

It's just my attempt at a web app version of the Wikipedia Racing game.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikirace

I just whipped it up, so it's not pretty.. but at least I got the major functionality working. I want to wrap it up in a pretty little sidebar and maybe eventually make it multiplayer as well.

Check it out:

Comments

• @Jonchun For one, you shouldn’t use black on a magenta background. The contrast isn’t there — some people may find that hard to see.

• Don't use that pink color.

It's ridiculously ugly.

When web designing, take inspiration from companies like Apple. Always keep it simple.

Simple is ALWAYS better.

• @doghouch said:
    @Jonchun For one, you shouldn’t use black on a magenta background. The contrast isn’t there — some people may find that hard to see.

To clarify: the background color is only there because I was sorting out flexbox. The final product is obviously going to have styling :]

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • Here's how it's coming along.

• Use fonts & weights that match with the wiki set of fonts. Right now its a bit jarring, even thouhg both are great in their own right.

Thanked by 2Jonchun WSS
  • Had a chance to poke around a little more. Here's what I'm at now:

• Wiki links tend to be actual links and also blue. Make the links in your click list blue and linked to the articles (and opening in a new tab with _blank).

I personally don't like how Wikipedia looks to begin with, but your last attempt fits a lot better.

I'm not entirely sure you need a designer for what amounts to a list currently. Is there more coming to this "Game" that requires work?

• JonchunJonchun Member
    edited March 2018

@imthatguyhere said:
    Wiki links tend to be actual links and also blue. Make the links in your click list blue and linked to the articles (and opening in a new tab with _blank).

I personally don't like how Wikipedia looks to begin with, but your last attempt fits a lot better.

I'm not entirely sure you need a designer for what amounts to a list currently. Is there more coming to this "Game" that requires work?

The list is meant to be a history and you should not be able to navigate to them. I'm going to need stuff like a loading screen, a pretty timer, possibly multiplayer, etc. In any case, I want it to look pretty.

None of the game logic is implemented yet, but in case it's not super obvious, point of the game is to start on a random article and try to navigate to another one. Different ways to play the game including lowest time wins, each link click gives a point and lower points are better, time limit, etc.

This app tracks the changes, proxies wikipedia and parses it to remove external links, removes features such as search, etc.

• @Jonchun said:
    The list is meant to be a history and you should not be able to navigate to them. I'm going to need stuff like a loading screen, a pretty timer, possibly multiplayer, etc. In any case, I want it to look pretty.

Makes sense, but if you are trying to make it look like Wikipedia itself, it should conform to it's standards. Why not make the articles clickable through your proxy system and untracked via those links? You could still strip everything if you were afraid of cheating.

As for multiplayer, I really hope you don't expect the UI designer to figure that one out for you. Sounds like another list, a web-socket or ajax and some scores is all that is really needed.

None of the game logic is implemented yet, but in case it's not super obvious, point of the game is to start on a random article and try to navigate to another one. Different ways to play the game including lowest time wins, each link click gives a point and lower points are better, time limit, etc.

I've done this exact thing before with friends in a Lab, I understand the concept. I meant more along the line of things you would be adding to it.

This app tracks the changes, proxies wikipedia and parses it to remove external links, removes features such as search, etc.

That makes sense. If you need quick images done or insight on design choices, I'm more than happy to help.

• @imthatguyhere said:

@Jonchun said:

Makes sense, but if you are trying to make it look like Wikipedia itself, it should conform to it's standards. Why not make the articles clickable through your proxy system and untracked via those links? You could still strip everything if you were afraid of cheating.

As for multiplayer, I really hope you don't expect the UI designer to figure that one out for you. Sounds like another list, a web-socket or ajax and some scores is all that is really needed.

I've done this exact thing before with friends in a Lab, I understand the concept. I meant more along the line of things you would be adding to it.

That makes sense. If you need quick images done or insight on design choices, I'm more than happy to help.

Thanks! I'll hit you up and keep this thread updates as I progress.

Re: multiplayer, I am fine on the technical end. I know how I would achieve it in multiple ways. My concern was really on the UX side and "what would make sense" or a sample workflow of how to play a game with friends and how it would look in real time. Should players create rooms? Should it be a global timer? Etc

Thanked by 1imthatguyhere
  • @Jonchun said:
    Re: multiplayer, I am fine on the technical end. I know how I would achieve it in multiple ways. My concern was really on the UX side and "what would make sense" or a sample workflow of how to play a game with friends and how it would look in real time. Should players create rooms? Should it be a global timer? Etc

That depends how you want multiplayer to work. Leaderboards in general (especially between friends) would be cool. For rooms, a private game could be made and invited people could play and update just that leaderboard. Lastly for VS gamemodes you have some options. Live updates with the click list between both and a score tracker would be best. For many players a live updating score board would handle it well. Ending with a banner showing win / lose for duels and the winners name with a private lobby would be cool as well.