Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nocix Review (Look At This Before You Look At Other Nocix Reviews) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Nocix Review (Look At This Before You Look At Other Nocix Reviews)

Comments

• levnodelevnode Member
    edited March 2018

Crandolph said: Dude, literally fuck off.

Don't use them.

I did this because I had a good experience.

Nocix is too big to make fake reviews on let.

They've been around years and probably do 6 figures a month in revenue.

Stop reaching for a conflict. Use common sense.

Talk is cheap, show me your invoice.
    Show me that you got dedicated 1Gbps and 2Gbps DDoS also.

• I just got a dedi there. I think this price is unbeatable for a 4000 passmark CPU under $20. I get 500-600 Mbps which is enough for my needs, it was a custom server and they provisioned it within hours. I messed up the OS install and they reinstalled it in like an hour. Tickets were answered within minutes. Disk performance is what you'd expect from a dedicated server. I'll need to give this more time but first impressions are excellent.

• EHRAEHRA Member

@levnode said:
    Keep in mind I'm a very objective based person, for example I called Hetzner shit because I had a piss poor experience, I gave Nocix an honest review based on my experience. If I think your shit, I'll call your service shit. Nocix however, has plesantly surprised me.

I've been lucky with Hetzner. Uptime of 100% since the Cloud launch, I believe I met them with a stable and good server for my goals. The ping for my area is even acceptable (~ 255ms) as I am located in South America. I did a recent test in a Datacenter in Dallas (USA) and the ping is 163ms, I believe that difference of 92ms does not make much difference in navigation, so I continue with Hetzner.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • @hacktek said:
    I just got a dedi there. I think this price is unbeatable for a 4000 passmark CPU under $20. I get 500-600 Mbps which is enough for my needs, it was a custom server and they provisioned it within hours. I messed up the OS install and they reinstalled it in like an hour. Tickets were answered within minutes. Disk performance is what you'd expect from a dedicated server. I'll need to give this more time but first impressions are excellent.

I'm gonna have to ammend that review a bit. Even though the first impressions with the server, network and support were great, the server isn't working well for my needs. I set up a plex server. Even though the Cpu has a 4000 passmark score, it cannot transcode a single 1080p stream, guess it's too old (amd phenom x4). The inbound network does work around the 500 Mbps but it tends to do 3-400 way more often. Also, outbound network isn't working very well, at least to my location in Central America. I have better network performance going to another box in France. I can't really fault them too much for any of this but I will be canceling nonetheless. They might work for others but did not work properly for me, which is a shame because I really wanted to like them.

• AidanAidan Member

hacktek said: it cannot transcode a single 1080p stream, guess it's too old (amd phenom x4)

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=amd+phenom+ii+x4+965&id=370

That's just enough for 720p, you need a ~2k passmark per core to get smooth 1080p transcoding.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @hacktek said:

@hacktek said:
    I just got a dedi there. I think this price is unbeatable for a 4000 passmark CPU under $20. I get 500-600 Mbps which is enough for my needs, it was a custom server and they provisioned it within hours. I messed up the OS install and they reinstalled it in like an hour. Tickets were answered within minutes. Disk performance is what you'd expect from a dedicated server. I'll need to give this more time but first impressions are excellent.

I'm gonna have to ammend that review a bit. Even though the first impressions with the server, network and support were great, the server isn't working well for my needs. I set up a plex server. Even though the Cpu has a 4000 passmark score, it cannot transcode a single 1080p stream, guess it's too old (amd phenom x4). The inbound network does work around the 500 Mbps but it tends to do 3-400 way more often. Also, outbound network isn't working very well, at least to my location in Central America. I have better network performance going to another box in France. I can't really fault them too much for any of this but I will be canceling nonetheless. They might work for others but did not work properly for me, which is a shame because I really wanted to like them.

I use them and very happy with them, however they are no good for a plex server simply because of the their peering to google drive and my location. Apart from that I consistently max out my gigabit port in both directions. You need to get a slightly faster cpu, sometimes that can cause a bottleneck on traffic.

• @machine123 said:

@hacktek said:

@hacktek said:

I use them and very happy with them, however they are no good for a plex server simply because of the their peering to google drive and my location. Apart from that I consistently max out my gigabit port in both directions. You need to get a slightly faster cpu, sometimes that can cause a bottleneck on traffic.

Same here. Network is HE. Its not the best but is certainly going to be better than france for US unless you have some external factors affecting it on your side.

• Yeah, YMMV obviously. I'm perfectly OK with 300-500 Mbps inbound but the outbound bit is what's messing me up really. Can't even get 15 Mbps consistently to my location so I can't stream anything properly. I agree that the theory says US should be better than France but in this particular case it isn't for whatever reason. Whatever works for you, like I said I can't really fault them too much for any of it.

• @hacktek said:
    Yeah, YMMV obviously. I'm perfectly OK with 300-500 Mbps inbound but the outbound bit is what's messing me up really. Can't even get 15 Mbps consistently to my location so I can't stream anything properly. I agree that the theory says US should be better than France but in this particular case it isn't for whatever reason. Whatever works for you, like I said I can't really fault them too much for any of it.

Who's your ISP?

• @Aidan said:

hacktek said: it cannot transcode a single 1080p stream, guess it's too old (amd phenom x4)

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=amd+phenom+ii+x4+965&id=370

That's just enough for 720p, you need a ~2k passmark per core to get smooth 1080p transcoding.

That's interesting. I always thought it was 1500 passmark overall per 1080p stream, didn't know it was per core. That was obviously my bad.

• If you hv to stay with this server, you could try creating optimized versions of the files on the plex server itself and direct streaming them.

• @Crandolph said:

@hacktek said:
    Yeah, YMMV obviously. I'm perfectly OK with 300-500 Mbps inbound but the outbound bit is what's messing me up really. Can't even get 15 Mbps consistently to my location so I can't stream anything properly. I agree that the theory says US should be better than France but in this particular case it isn't for whatever reason. Whatever works for you, like I said I can't really fault them too much for any of it.

Who's your ISP?

Tigo in Costa Rica, where I live.

• @hacktek said:

@Crandolph said:

@hacktek said:

Who's your ISP?

Coasta Rica. That's the issue. Maybe use a Miami location perhaps.

• lemonlemon Member

@Crandolph said:
    great prices

is there something hidden or do you refer to their standard pricings on the start page?
    https://www.nocix.net/vps/

• @lemon said:

@Crandolph said:
    great prices

is there something hidden or do you refer to their standard pricings on the start page?
    https://www.nocix.net/vps/

Don't go to Nocix for a VPS, go to BuyVM or Ramonde. Use Nocix for dedicated servers.

• @Crandolph said:

@hacktek said:

@Crandolph said:

@hacktek said:

Who's your ISP?

Yeah of course, I know. Miami is our best peering from here but I've seldom had issues to anywhere in the US. Even OVH in Canada has been great for me from here. There must be something funky about my route specifically to Nocix for France to provide better performance. That defies the basic premise of lower latency being better more often than not.

• @hacktek said:

@Crandolph said:

@hacktek said:

@Crandolph said:

@hacktek said:

Who's your ISP?

Yeah of course, I know. Miami is our best peering from here but I've seldom had issues to anywhere in the US. Even OVH in Canada has been great for me from here. There must be something funky about my route specifically to Nocix for France to provide better performance. That defies the basic premise of lower latency being better more often than not.

If you want to learn more about HE routing go to their site, tons of info about their network.

• xalitustxalitust Member
    edited March 2018

I've had a "Sexcore" server with these guys for ~2 months. For the price it's amazing, support was awesome when I screwed up my OS install (< 1hr response to ticket messages).
    Can't beat if for the price, but I wouldn't be hosting anything mission critical there.

• CrandolphCrandolph Member
    edited March 2018

@xalitust said:
    I've had a "Sexcore" server with these guys for ~2 months. For the price it's amazing, support was awesome when I screwed up my OS install (< 1hr response to ticket messages).
    Can't beat if for the price, but I wouldn't be hosting anything mission critical there.

No issues with hosting something mission critical per se if your using raid. I haven't had any downtime the last 30 days.

• Crandolf, that was actually funny. Mission critical involves something more than the last 30 days without downtime.

Nothing wrong with a value host, but you have to be more careful with your assessments.

Mission critical involves hardware, network resilience, noc staffing, and long term outcomes.

edited March 2018

@Mark_O_Polo said:
    Crandolf, that was actually funny. Mission critical involves something more than the last 30 days without downtime.

Nothing wrong with a value host, but you have to be more careful with your assessments.

Mission critical involves hardware, network resilience, noc staffing, and long term outcomes.

No shit sherlock.

Also do you incorrectly spell my time when it's literally in front of you?

• @Crandolph said:
    No shit sherlock.

Lol. Nice edit.

• @Mark_O_Polo said:

@Crandolph said:
    No shit sherlock.

Lol. Nice edit.

I edited it after I noticed you managed to misspell my name when it was in front of you as you were typing.

• WSSWSS Member

@Mark_O_Polo said:
    Crandolf, that was actually funny. Mission critical involves something more than the last 30 days without downtime.

You're too smart to be responding to this guy.

• I couldn't resist. What we do for the love of humor...

edited March 2018

@WSS said:

@Mark_O_Polo said:

You're too smart to be responding to this guy.

The fucking irony, moron.

"Well I'd call that a transit issue, rather than specifically a NOCIX issue unless they have a peering agreement with ${certain ISPS}.

I dumped WSI/Nocix a few months ago, but they were quite stable until the fucking shoeminers took over."

You said this in FUCKING JANUARY.

Can you fucking think?

"Quite stable"

Keep contradicting yourself. Nocix is good, particularly for the price.

edited March 2018

@Mark_O_Polo said:
    I couldn't resist. What we do for the love of humor...

Yeah, you literally essentially posted "only use stable hosts for production".

Oh yeah, professor? In order for a boat to float, it can't have holes.

Amazing concept. Then provided no basis or facts on how Nocix was unstable and called me stupid?

0 basis for anything other than talking shit.

• mkshmksh Member
    edited March 2018

Wow, @Crandolph! You are making a ton of friends here and i really mean it. Well it's not exactly you who is making the friends. Let's face it, that would be rediculous but you are getting lots of people who usually don't agree to finally agree on something. Congratz. Keep up the good work and spread the friendship! To bad i have a feeling you are going to be shat on regularly.

• @mksh said:
    Wow, @Crandolph! You are making a ton of friends here and i really mean it. Well it's not exactly you who is making the friends. Let's face it, that would be rediculous but you are getting lots of people who usually don't agree to finally agree on something. Congratz. Keep up the good work and spread the friendship! To bad i have a feeling you are going to be shat on regularly.

Look at my avatar.

• mkshmksh Member

@Crandolph said:

>

Look at my avatar.

What avatar?