Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1 x Kaby Lake or Coffee Lake needed
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

1 x Kaby Lake or Coffee Lake needed

PUSHR_VictorPUSHR_Victor Member, Host Rep
edited March 2018 in Requests

I need a single Kaby/Coffee Lake with the best possible Intel GPU I can get.
Bandwidth doesn't matter, expected transfer needed is ~200GB and disks don't matter, but even the smallest SSD would be a plus. Purpose of the server is to revisit QuickSync as a viable alternative to software encoding for specific situations. Need to rent for a week to complete all tests. Okay to rent for a month, but no more than that.

No set budget, but the lowest price with the best Intel Graphics wins (extra points for any SSD).

Comments

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2018

Hetzner EX51-SSD-GPU https://www.hetzner.com/dedicated-rootserver/matrix-ex

Edit: missed one week rental part and intel graphics, probably google cloud GPU models or OVH 1 week rentals - although I don't think the E3 integrated graphics are too amazing.

Not sure of anyone doing short term or low setup fee kaby/coffee lakes. Hetzner Haswells could possibly work? No setup fees, think they're like 43 Eur for the month.

• PUSHR_VictorPUSHR_Victor Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2018

Thanks!
    The thing is that these have already been tried (the haswells) and they were no match to software x264. QSV appears to have moved forward with Kaby which is why it or Coffee is needed for these tests. Unfortunately in my scenario, with Hetzner's setup fees it would be cheaper to buy one i3-7100 with HD630 graphics,play with it and throw it in the closet after that.

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited March 2018

Check out Vultr bare metal E3-1270v6 kabylake servers charged by hourly billing :)

Took the Vultr bare metal for a spin myself https://community.centminmod.com/threads/vultr-60-discount-free-100-credit-test-drive-vultr-bare-metal-instances.13744/ ^_^

@eva2000 said:
    Check out Vultr bare metal E3-1270v6 kabylake servers charged by hourly billing :)

Took the Vultr bare metal for a spin myself https://community.centminmod.com/threads/vultr-60-discount-free-100-credit-test-drive-vultr-bare-metal-instances.13744/ ^_^

No QuickSync on these, unfortunately:/
    Will rather need an i3,i5 or i7. For the E3s, the only one I know with support for QuckSync is 1285v6 (maybe some others have it too) and I have not seen one offered anywhere.

• oh you need desktop cpus .. hmm don't think i've seen hourly or less than monthly duration rented desktop cpus on offer though.

• I'm in the process of dropping one of my 7700k's at hetzner (probably next week or so). Would that work for you?

@teamacc said:
    I'm in the process of dropping one of my 7700k's at hetzner (probably next week or so). Would that work for you?

Yes. I am dropping you a PM.
    Thanks!