Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recommend website monitoring service
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Recommend website monitoring service

Hi guys

Could you please share your website monitoring services usage experience?
I need to check HTTP(S)/DNS services and get alert via email and sms.
What do you use? What can you recommend?
I liked Pingdom features, but it’s UI - is to slow and difficult to use.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• HetrixTools seems to work fairly well from my limited experiences(2-3 days usage) of it.

Thanked by 2HBAndrei Shurshuka
  • MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

UptimeRobot or HetrixTools would do the job nicely

• HetrixTools

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

UptimeRobot

Thanked by 1Shurshuka
  • @FHR said:
    UptimeRobot

This was a typo. He meant HetrixTools.

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

Crandolph said: This was a typo. He meant *******.

What? I meant *******?

Thanked by 1Shurshuka
  • lemonlemon Member

i use the free account of nixstats for some servers

Thanked by 1Shurshuka
  • +1 HetrixTools

And they are running a 50% offer at the moment in the March Madness thread. @HBAndrei

• HBAndreiHBAndrei Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Thanks everyone for the recommandation, and @beagle for the tag. I'm really glad you're all enjoying the service.
    Cheers.

Thanked by 2beagle Shurshuka
  • WSSWSS Member

Hetrix is pretty good.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited March 2018

Another vote for HetrixTools

Thanked by 1Shurshuka
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

StatusCake has free 5 minute checks. I used to use them but switched to NixStats.

Thanked by 1Shurshuka
  • @MikeA said:
    StatusCake has free 5 minute checks. I used to use them but switched to NixStats.

Hetrix has free 1 minute checks though.

Thanked by 1Shurshuka
    edited March 2018

@Crandolph said:

@MikeA said:

That's good. OP was asking for suggestions, I wanted to give suggestions that people haven't mentioned and that I have used myself. On Hetrix pricing page it says 5 monitors for free, StatusCake has no limit on free monitors.

Thanked by 2Shurshuka ucxo
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

60s is the highest you should go, 300s can easy miss short downtimes, 10s is for the insane people like me.

Thanked by 1Shurshuka
    edited March 2018

@Neoon said:
    60s is the highest you should go, 300s can easy miss short downtimes, 10s is for the insane people like me.

Would be good for people who don't run critical sites like billing/shopping/news (and don't want to pay for monitoring). They just want to be sure their site doesn't go down because of host issues. I used to use StatusCake 5 minute checks for public monitoring and use backend software for 60s TCP/UDP monitoring on all of my servers. Still do, along with Nixstats now.

Thanked by 1Shurshuka
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@MikeA said:

@Neoon said:

Would be good for people who don't run critical sites like billing/shopping/news (and don't want to pay for monitoring). They just want to be sure their site doesn't go down because of host issues. I used to use StatusCake 5 minute checks for public monitoring and use backend software for 60s TCP/UDP monitoring on all of my servers. Still do, along with Nixstats now.

True, better then nothing.

Thanked by 1Shurshuka
  • @MikeA said:

@Crandolph said:

@MikeA said:

That's good. OP was asking for suggestions, I wanted to give suggestions that people haven't mentioned and that I have used myself. On Hetrix pricing page it says 5 monitors for free, StatusCake has no limit on free monitors.

5 minute downtime checking is arguably useless though. In many cases a downtime could be missed.

Thanked by 1Shurshuka
  • @Crandolph said:
    5 minute downtime checking is arguably useless though. In many cases a downtime could be missed.

And for probably 99%+ of content on the web, if the downtime is missed because it lasted shorter than 5 minutes... who cares?

edited March 2018

@Crandolph said:

@MikeA said:

@Crandolph said:

@MikeA said:

Of course, it's not meant for everybody, but for many people a minute or two of downtime isn't a big problem. They aren't hosting clients or have something that businesses depend on. "downtime could be missed" -- Sure, if that happens the person wanting free monitoring probably could care less. If it's just a 2-3 minute downtime it's probably just a problem with the host network anyways that the person can't do anything about.

Your argument is dumb and pointless. I gave a good (and very popular outside of LET) free suggestion.

• CrandolphCrandolph Member
    edited March 2018

@MikeA said:

@Crandolph said:

@MikeA said:

@Crandolph said:

@MikeA said:

Of course, it's not meant for everybody, but for many people a minute or two of downtime isn't a big problem. They aren't hosting clients or have something that businesses depend on. "downtime could be missed" -- Sure, if that happens the person wanting free monitoring probably could care less. If it's just a 2-3 minute downtime it's probably just a problem with the host network anyways that the person can't do anything about.

Your argument is dumb and pointless. I gave a good (and very popular outside of LET) free suggestion.
    @MikeA said:

@Crandolph said:

@MikeA said:

@Crandolph said:

@MikeA said:

Nixstats is entirely different than a simple automatic ping tool. If Pingdom is too complicated, do you really think he wants Nixstats for a simple ping?

Hetrix would be the better, simpler, and cheaper alternative.

EDIT: And to add onto that, what's the point in doing something half ass? Don't monitor downtime unless you want an actual accurate representation. A 5 minute interval isn't accurate at all.

Thanked by 1Shurshuka
  • niconico Member

I use UptimeRobot but had must place some own monitoring scripts on a handful VPS as UptimeRobot don't catch every outage or send many False downs last months.

Thanked by 1Shurshuka
    edited March 2018

@Crandolph said:

Nixstats is entirely different than a simple automatic ping tool. If Pingdom is too complicated, do you really think he wants Nixstats for a simple ping?

EDIT: And to add onto that, what's the point in doing something half ass? Don't monitor downtime unless you want an actual accurate representation. A 5 minute interval isn't accurate at all.

You were complaining about the 5 minute free checks I suggested on StatusCake. Their UI is very well designed and easy to use, one reason OP was looking for an alternative. I never once said HetrixTools was bad, I have used it myself, I was suggested something else that hasn't been recommended yet and that I have experience using. Again, you're complaining about a dumb subject that doesn't matter. You can keep arguing, but I'm not going to feed onto you anymore.

Your avatar is what I think of your face as being right now.

• @MikeA said:

@Crandolph said:

You were complaining about the 5 minute free checks I suggested on StatusCake. Their UI is very well designed and easy to use, one reason OP was looking for an alternative. I never once said HetrixTools was bad, I have used it myself, I was suggested something else that hasn't been recommended yet and that I have experience using. Again, you're complaining about a dumb subject that doesn't matter. You can keep arguing, but I'm not going to feed onto you anymore.

Your avatar is what I think of your face as being right now.

Oops, meant StatusCake. They both have 5 minute intervals for the free plan anyways. Sorry. It was posted above somewhere and I had it in my head at the time.

I don't think any of the above are bad. Hetrix is simply the clear cut solution for OP in this case though.

Thanked by 1Shurshuka
  • Hetrix, excellent product and they have been good to LET. win/win.

• @Mark_O_Polo said:
    Hetrix, excellent product and they have been good to LET. win/win.

agreed

Thanked by 1HBAndrei
  • @Shurshuka hello

Just few days ago we introduced our new website monitoring service.
    I know that a lot of people from this forum use Zilore as there DNS provider.
    Now we offer free life time monitoring service plan for first beta users.
    Check it :)

• EHRAEHRA Member

I am monitoring only my personal website, so nixstats.com is meeting my needs well. I did not know hetrixtools.com, but it also seems like an excellent option.

• GodsGods Member
    edited March 2018

My vouch for nixtstats, they have nice monitoring and free status page.

Staff is very responsive and polite.

Great service.

Thanked by 2Shurshuka hanru
  • I signed up on hetrixtools for the free double account during the blackfriday deals last year and my experience is super great, even for the free acct.