Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which processor would equal 2 E3-1240v2 cores?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which processor would equal 2 E3-1240v2 cores?

AmitzAmitz Member
edited May 2013 in Help

Dear all,

I use a dedicated server (E3 1240v2) to host one of my sites. On average, I use 60-90% of one core. During peak times, usage is between 1 and 2 cores for a longer period. So obviously, that server is somehow oversized. But my usage is also too high for most VPS providers. I wonder which processor would equal 2 cores of an E3 1240v2 at 3.4 GHz. Can I just go the cpubenchmark.net and look which processor has half the score of the E3 or is that thought too simple?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Kind regards
-A

Comments

• flyfly Member
    edited May 2013

scale horizontally. i.e. get a bunch of vps's and loadbalance across.

• seriesnseriesn Member

Distribute load to multiple vps?

• mnpeepmnpeep Member
    edited May 2013

If you're looking for something with two cores with something similar to the E3-1240v2, I would say the E3-1220Lv2 is your best bet (with Turbo-Boost always enabled).

Here's a chart for you:

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited May 2013

@fly & @seriesn
    I would really prefer to keep dedicated ressources for that site. So no VPS. Just a smaller processor...

@mnpeep
    That would be a custom build, I guess - I have never seen the E31220 has standard offer at any host...

• flyfly Member

@Amitz said: I would really prefer to keep dedicated ressources for that site. So no VPS. Just a smaller processor...

kvm? xen with a reputable provider? if you're worried about blowing extra money, use vps[s]

• AmitzAmitz Member

I have not come across any provider that would assign dedicated cores to me. Even with XEN or KVM, CPU usage is still shared. Or am I wrong here? Not mentioning disk I/O and the fact that my bandwidth usage averages around 20 megabit/s.

• seriesnseriesn Member

How much do you want to spend for 2 dedicated e3 cores?

• AmitzAmitz Member

@seriesn
    Well, to put it this way: Right now, I am paying $99 per month for a dedicated server of the given type with unmetered bandwidth (100 megabit/s), SSD drives (2) and 32 GB RAM (I only use 512-1024 MB) in an UK datacenter with good network. That price is already a steal. However, the site does not even earn half of that sum. Therefore I am evaluating the possibilities.

• seriesnseriesn Member
    edited May 2013

Get a L5 from dacentec than I guess?

• herbyscrubherbyscrub Member
    edited May 2013

The price you're paying seems to be very good. Maybe you can sell the unused resources to a few users to make up the difference?

Can you get a cheaper/slower dedicated server, but use four cores instead of just two?

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

O

V

H

• mnpeepmnpeep Member

@netomx said: O

V

H

Over

Virtualized

Hardware