Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Security Breach?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Security Breach?

dnwkdnwk Member
edited May 2013 in Help

When I connect to my VM today (hosted on my own dedicated server at quickpacket), there is one pretty wired thing happened. My SSH Session suddenly disconnected. And When my SSH client trying to reconnect, I receive a warnning that Host SSH Key has changed and I got a password incorrect error. I start to worry and Login to VM using console and do a SSH restart. And then everything revert to normal. Is it possible that someone either on my network or datacenter's network trying to intercept my SSH connection? When I click ignore host key change warnning, I basic send them my password. Or how do I find out if someone is trying to intercept my ssh connection? I am using KVM
Thanks

Comments

• Did you assign the IP to 2 VMs by accident?

• KrisKris Member

More likely there was an issue with vzctl, or the server came up in a non OpenVZ kernel - and you got the host machine key for the VM.

The virtual machine might have crashed, temporarily routing the VM ip to the host-node as well.

That's my best guess of what happened. Can always run rkhunter to be sure, but I've seen this issue before.

• dnwkdnwk Member
    edited May 2013

@dmmcintyre3 said: Did you assign the IP to 2 VMs by accident?

:0 , you are right ...... Stupid mistake.

• seriesnseriesn Member

@dmmcintyre3 said: Did you assign the IP to 2 VMs by accident?

Happens a lot with IP stealing on XEN VPS (Thanks to solus).